PDA

View Full Version : Cool Cat V2---transparent Overdrive

piebaldpython
September 25th, 2009, 01:43 PM
http://www.coolcattone.com/distortion2.html

Just saw this on the Cool Cat site.......their new V2 TOD pedal. 12 db of clean boost at minimum gain with "under the hood" capability to have "soft, medium or hard clipping" via red diode, blue diode or FET diode.

Wonder how she sounds??? There is no sound clip on the site.

Robert
September 25th, 2009, 01:49 PM
They did that because the design of the pedal was too strikingly similar to the famous "Timmy" (or was it "Tim"?) pedal, so they redesigned it to avoid getting bad reputation (and a lawsuit perhaps?).

Algonquin
February 23rd, 2010, 09:46 PM
What's the buzz between V.1 and V.2 on the TOD... is there a clear favourite? :munch:

Robert
February 23rd, 2010, 09:56 PM
Yea, people say v1 is much better sounding.

Algonquin
February 23rd, 2010, 10:05 PM
Okey dokey... came across a V1 in the shop tonight and picked it up... they also had the V2 but thought I'd give this one a shot as I figured it would be a little more difficult to come across. Not expensive by any stretch of the imagination, so a no brainer without even trying it out in the store. They said it had a 30 day return period, but for a pedal in the low $40 range, I don't think you can go too wrong.

Robert
February 23rd, 2010, 10:53 PM
Good choice. I think it is one of the best pedals I have. Keep it, David!

deeaa
February 24th, 2010, 10:01 AM
I like the transparent OD quite well with my Tech-21 but it's clearly not as good with my Ceriatone. Funny, though, as I would have expected the TOD to really be very very transparent, but it clearly mucks up the sound and makes it lose clarity much more than the Marshall Jackhammer that's been my fave for years...the Jackhammer still does the best JCM800 crunch I've met so far.

markb
February 24th, 2010, 04:26 PM
They're good pedals. Turn the bass and treble down for TS-ish honk (but not as pronounced), turn them up for open drives. I didn't find it very useful as a clean boost if you're looking for that function.

Spudman
February 24th, 2010, 08:07 PM
They're good pedals. Turn the bass and treble down for TS-ish honk (but not as pronounced), turn them up for open drives. I didn't find it very useful as a clean boost if you're looking for that function.

Nice tip. I haven't tried that. Thanks.

Algonquin
November 26th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I've been using this pedal (V.1) a lot the last week or so, and it really shines with single coils. I'm finding it really responsive and touch sensitive when I dig into the strings. You're not going to get any Metal tones out of this pedal, but you will get some great articulate single coil growl!

deeaa
November 27th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Growl is a good word. I sold mine because it was too 'Brrowwwy', kind of soft-edged but sparse crunch and growl, not really best for my uses.

DeanEVO_Dude
November 28th, 2010, 11:28 AM
As I understand it, the v.1 pedal was discontinued due to objections from the makers of the OCD pedals. Seems that the pedal was just about a "clone" of one of the OCD overdrive pedals... Or, it could have been evolution...
Just throwing that out there.

Spudman
November 28th, 2010, 12:33 PM
As I understand it, the v.1 pedal was discontinued due to objections from the makers of the OCD pedals. Seems that the pedal was just about a "clone" of one of the OCD overdrive pedals... Or, it could have been evolution...
Just throwing that out there.

That was actually Paul Cochrane of Paul C Audio, the maker of the Tim and Timmy pedals. The issue was that the TOD V1 circuit was an almost identical copy of the Timmy circuit. OCDs are made by Mike Fuller of Fulltone.

DeanEVO_Dude
November 28th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the correction, Spuds. I had the right concept, just the wrong pedal...

Spudman
November 28th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the correction, Spuds. I had the right concept, just the wrong pedal...

I figured as much. Actually, I just wanted to write Paul Cochrane, Paul C Audio, Tim and Timmy so that thefret.net would show up in Google searches. It's all about promo don't ya know. ;)