PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Good, Bad, and Ugly

marnold
September 25th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Crap. I managed to blow away my original post. I thought I hit "quote" not "edit." I'm an idiot. From the following posts you should be able to get my point. I was looking for the good, bad, and ugly in your guitar playing. Mine were something like this:

Good: I love my guitar and bass. It's like they were made just for me.

Bad: (Note: here's part of my original message) My high-gain tones. Replacing the speaker in my AD30VT with a Ragin' Cajun made my cleans and overdriven tones sound glorious. Unfortunately it just transformed the high-gain models from being shrill and fizzy at volume to being dark and fuzzy.

Ugly: Finding time/consistent time to practice.

Spudman
September 25th, 2009, 09:35 PM
The good: I can do it
The bad: I can't do every thing I want
The ugly: I'm repetitive

Something like that?

markb
September 25th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Good: my gear
Bad: my playing
Ugly: what the audience turn after a few numbers
;)

SuperSwede
September 26th, 2009, 01:04 AM
The Good: Its fun to play again, and parts of my gear really sounds good to my ears!

The Bad: El strat is needs some new pickups, nut. The player of the strat needs some new talent.

Ugly: I dont have anyone to play with at the moment..

pes_laul
September 26th, 2009, 08:12 PM
THE GOOD: My music theory knowledge
THE BAD: My solos are too scale like
THE UGLY: I show off way to much

hubberjub
September 26th, 2009, 08:55 PM
The Good: I have gear that is far superior to my playing.
The Bad: I keep thinking that I need better gear.
The Ugly: I have a hard time relaxing when I'm soloing. I tend to play too fast and that leads to sloppy playing.

Plank_Spanker
September 27th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Good - I play with a lot of feel and I'm good at bending notes and wringing sound from the guitar. I have good timing and I'm equally at home playing both rhythm and leads. I have a good ear. I have a great live sound and top notch gear.

Bad - sometimes I suck at playing descending scales with any sort of speed or flair. I tend to get heavy handed at times.

Ugly - my knowledge of music theory can fill a thimble.

sunvalleylaw
September 28th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Good - I like my gear, get some nice tones, and have learned a heck of a lot in a couple years.

Bad - don't get as much playing time as I want.

Ugly - when I over play and crush everything (like my barre chords) with too much effort. Much better if I relax and get into the groove.

mjk123
September 28th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Good + Bad AND Ugly: My playing and my ability to find a consistent time to practice.[/QUOTE]

:bravo:

I have gear and that is all that matters at this point. Not the greatest but I have gear: Ibanez RG120 and a Crate GFX15. But I want more and I want it now. My biggest complaint about the guitar is the time that I have to practice. I should say that lack of time. Sometimes, I get about 15 minutes but during this time, I also need to cram a lot of my computer time in too. I guess I need to give up on the computer and other stuff(s) and focus more and solely on the guitar...:dude:

Thanks for a great thread and the answers to it.

marnold
September 28th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Bad: My high-gain tones. Replacing the speaker in my AD30VT with a Ragin' Cajun made my cleans and overdriven tones sound glorious. Unfortunately it just transformed the high-gain models from being shrill and fizzy at volume to being dark and fuzzy.
I did a little more tweaking of knobs today and came up with something that doesn't sound too bad. Mind you, I'm shooting for an old skool metal tone, not teh br00talz. I set my AD30VT to UK70s, gain and treble dimed, mids and volume at noon, bass at 9:00 P.M. In front of that I put my Thesis 96 pedal, with the gain off, level at about 1:30 and the tone at almost 3:00. It was also set for TS-808 mode with the "full" tone setting. Mind you, this is a very bright OD pedal, so I normally don't turn up the tone anywhere near that high.

The good is that the pedal pushes the amp's crunch over the top and brightens it up enough to get rid of the mud. The pedal also adds some natural compression for tapping and stuff (which is my main problem with cutting back on the gain on the high-gain models, the compression drops to about nil). It actually sounds quite a bit like Ted Nugent's tone on "Free for All." It can still get a bit ragged in places so some more tweaking will still be necessary.

kiteman
October 6th, 2009, 05:20 AM
GOOD - my stuff

BAD - my playing

UGLY - me

:thwap

Ro3b
October 7th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Good: The number of gigs I'm getting
Bad: The kinds of gigs I'm getting
Ugly: The audiences I'm playing for

deeaa
October 7th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Crap. I managed to blow away my original post. I thought I hit "quote" not "edit." I'm an idiot. From the following posts you should be able to get my point. I was looking for the good, bad, and ugly in your guitar playing. Mine were something like this:

Good: I love my guitar and bass. It's like they were made just for me.

Bad: (Note: here's part of my original message) My high-gain tones. Replacing the speaker in my AD30VT with a Ragin' Cajun made my cleans and overdriven tones sound glorious. Unfortunately it just transformed the high-gain models from being shrill and fizzy at volume to being dark and fuzzy.

Ugly: Finding time/consistent time to practice.

Marnold, you just need the right type of pedal for higain I'm sure.

Mine:

Good: it's very easy and 'natural' for me to make new songs and stuff on guitar/bass and it seems my chords and stuff are pretty highly original

Bad: I never learned any theory and I don't know how to play other people's songs

Ugly: I never play really, almost. At least never practice...no time.

Eric
October 7th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Good: General dexterity, my sensibilities when it comes to rhythm guitar (phrasing, how to use dynamics and silence effectively), beginner-level theory knowledge

Bad: My knowledge of what to play when and memorization of convenient riffs and licks (and accompanying muscle memory), cool techniques like sweep picking, tapping, and pinch harmonics

Ugly: Me trying to put together something as cohesive as a real guitar solo instead of just fills