PDA

View Full Version : That Big Band Sound

just strum
September 27th, 2009, 10:36 AM
As in Big Marching Bands.

My wife and I attended our local High School's Marching Band event (Thunder Over Aurora) last night. It rained the entire time, sometimes heavy, and despite having umbrella's, we were soaked.

Despite the weather, the kids did a great job and put on a hell of a performance. Our band opened the show with the National Anthem and then there was a break out of respect for medical reasons (more on that in a moment). Aurora would come back at the end to close the show.

There were six bands that performed and each did one of their halftime shows. Aurora chose their show from when they played at the NFL Hall of Fame Game with Sam from Sam and Dave. They had two guys that did vocals and they had everyone, including the other bands, standing and dancing.

The band that performed before Aurora was sensational - a lot of drums and horns - loud and good. They had a great visual routine and also had the people moving to the music and consisted of 235 band members. As they left the field, the announcer (each school had their own announcer) said "In the Solon High tradition, the rain will stop as we leave the field" - it stopped, but it was after the last band played.

Now the down side. If it wasn't for the High School bands, you would think you were at a Rolling Stone concert. One guy in the stand was administered CPR in the stands, rushed to an ambulance that was parked at the far end of the field, but died before they could leave for the hospital. One kid blacked out due to illness (the flu is sweeping the area) and one kid slipped in the stands and knocked himself out and received a sizable gash across the back of his head.

However, most of the kids were unaware of what was going on and seemed to enjoy themselves despite the crappy weather. Prior to yesterday we were in the midst of a drought having received only 1/8 of our normal rainfall.

wingsdad
September 27th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Geez, sounds like it was a Marching Bands Woodstock :thwap:

All that was missing was a childbirth.

The tubas musta gotten tuff to play taking on water...thanks for plastic drum heads, at least...

Nice to see ya back here, stranger....;)

luvmyshiner
September 27th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Sounds like a great time Strum.

just strum
September 27th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention the wet cheerleader contest.

pes_laul
September 27th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I wish it would have rained at our schools homecoming last night.....:bravo:

sumitomo
September 27th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Pics?:poke: Sumi:D (young pes told me to ask)

just strum
September 27th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Use your imagination, I'm sure Pes already is!!!:whatever:

peachhead
September 27th, 2009, 03:27 PM

:nono:

Trailer Park Casanova
October 3rd, 2009, 07:35 AM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q45hS6-Itgk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q45hS6-Itgk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

sunvalleylaw
October 3rd, 2009, 07:45 AM
Oh, Marching Band sound. Cool! I thought you meant like Glen Miller type big band sound. I love marching bands too! :applause Excellent! Sounds like a great time!

Now here is my favorite marching band. I love it at about :55 when they change octaves.

F1vyQgH6G5M&feature=related
:rar
GO HUSKIES! WIN AGAIN TODAY!

Here is some of the more formal stuff.
iMxJtbwDekw&feature=related

pes_laul
October 3rd, 2009, 09:25 AM
Too bad cheerleaders go for Jocks and not musicians....Time to tryout for football :socool

Trailer Park Casanova
October 3rd, 2009, 02:47 PM
Never too late to start your own Marching band.

Wife and I were headed up to the Napa wine country and stopped off at the 101 club for dinner in 'Frisco.
A bus pulled up and the Extra Action Martching Band" jumped out and played a few tunes,, then split:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ytBcCHUfcNY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ytBcCHUfcNY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

just strum
October 3rd, 2009, 02:57 PM
Never too late to start your own Marching band.

Wife and I were headed up to the Napa wine country and stopped off at the 101 club for dinner in 'Frisco.

That was great!!!

Never been to Napa wine country, but I think I will have to figure out a way to get there, now that I have a reason to go.

luvmyshiner
October 3rd, 2009, 03:04 PM
Too bad cheerleaders go for Jocks and not musicians....Time to tryout for football :socool

Be patient young Pes. The jocks loose their appeal after high school (or college) . . . musicians stay cool into their fifties (or sixties ) . . .

Shut up . . . it's true . . . really . . .:cry:

just strum
October 3rd, 2009, 03:09 PM
Be patient young Pes. The jocks loose their appeal after high school (or college) . . . musicians stay cool into their fifties (or sixties ) . . .

Shut up . . . it's true . . . really . . .:cry:

Plus cheerleaders don't throw underwear onto the field.

pes_laul
October 3rd, 2009, 03:37 PM
[QUOTE=luvmyshiner]Be patient young Pes. The jocks loose their appeal after high school (or college) . . . musicians stay cool into their fifties (or sixties ) . . .

Shut up . . . it's true . . . really . . .:cry: [/QUOTE
but in our defense musicians attract the non-preppy stuck up b****'s haha we have class:socool

Trailer Park Casanova
October 6th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Another drum line:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OiTQI3eA79o&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OiTQI3eA79o&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Tynee
October 7th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Marching band was a blast!! I miss those days sometimes.