PDA

View Full Version : Compessor ???

VoodoChild
September 27th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Excuse for the Question !! But I have never used a Compressor in 35 years of playing and im Not really a tech guy And Dont really know what it is they really do .So what do they Do And Why Should I get one !!!
Im currently trying to Downsize my Rig From Too Much to just right !!!
Im going from a Marshall JCM 800 on 4x12 cab with a fender twin amp(100w 3channel)on a2x12 to Marshal JCM 2000 Tsl 602 2x12 combo

From this
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk105/teampwr2/DSC01698.jpg

To this
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk105/teampwr2/amp.jpg

And using my existing Pedals
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk105/teampwr2/DSC01697.jpg

What I want is Sustain on cleaner Settings would a Compressor help or what would ?:confused: :confused: :confused:

duhvoodooman
September 27th, 2009, 02:44 PM
What I want is Sustain on cleaner Settings would a Compressor help or what would?
Yeah. a compressor would do what you're describing. That's exactly why they are used so extensively by country players--to get that clean sustain and even attack.

markb
September 27th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Compressors I have used.
Boss CS-3, unearthly amounts of sustain.
MXR DynaComp, great snappy tone with little "pumping", the little plastic Danelectro appears to be a cheaper copy of this.
Visual Sound Route 66 compressor side, also like an MXR, based on the vintage Ross.
Marshall ED-1, my favourite, capable of all the others can do and with a really wild control for the frequency range of the compressed signal. Cheap and robust too.

birv2
September 27th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Yes, a compressor would do exactly what you want. I have a Boss CS-3, which I'm having modded by Mark Humphrey. I'm going to use it to push my TS.

I also had a Rocktron Big Crush, which did a nice job too.

How much do you want to spend?

VoodoChild
September 27th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Hey thanks for the info .
I dont mind spending $ if its good stuff and does the Job !!!

:D

deeaa
September 28th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Compressors I have used.
Boss CS-3, unearthly amounts of sustain.
MXR DynaComp, great snappy tone with little "pumping", the little plastic Danelectro appears to be a cheaper copy of this.
Visual Sound Route 66 compressor side, also like an MXR, based on the vintage Ross.
Marshall ED-1, my favourite, capable of all the others can do and with a really wild control for the frequency range of the compressed signal. Cheap and robust too.

I love my ED-1 too. The only downside is it's a tad noisy, but then again almost all comps are.

I seriously dislike comps that can only be used to create sustain and just squash the sound, like the boss classic and most basic comps - for me the most important thing with a compressor is I can use it to boost those areas of the signal I want boosted and sustaining better.

There's no comparison to a proper rackmount compressor, but the ED-1 is good.

FWIW, IMO compressors are the single most important piece of gear in audio work. I'd rather lose EQ than compressors when mixing/recording..any project I create in Cubase for instance will have a minimum of a couple compressors per channel - especially multibands - plus master comps, so I might be running something like 30 compressors on a single mix, easy.

deeaa
September 28th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Excuse for the Question !! But I have never used a Compressor in 35 years of playing and im Not really a tech guy And Dont really know what it is they really do .So what do they Do And Why Should I get one !!!
Im currently trying to Downsize my Rig From Too Much to just right !!!
Im going from a Marshall JCM 800 on 4x12 cab with a fender twin amp(100w 3channel)on a2x12 to Marshal JCM 2000 Tsl 602 2x12 combo

-snip-

What strikes me as odd...well I dunno, aren't you feeling you're compromising quite a lot with the sound changes? At least to my tastes, going from an 800 to a 2000 series is like changing from a Cadillac to a Yugo. But...I guess you're getting sounds you like from it or you wouldn't be changing in the first place? I guess tastes either vary or I've tested the 2000 series way too little.

tot_Ou_tard
September 28th, 2009, 05:13 AM
I have a Diamond Comp that is pretty sweet.

VoodoChild
September 28th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I Just bought the 2000 As a Starting point really .....What im really looking at is the Dr. Z MAz 38 2x12 Combo....I have been Playing the Twin I have Also, I Like the fender But Something Missing on the Drive Channel, I get a better sound with the 2000 , I have also Just used the 800 on my 2x12 But really want a combo For portability.So I thought a Compressor might help !

markb
September 28th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Buying a Fender for the drive channel is like buying a Marshall for its deep lush reverb, i.e. not really an option. Twins are great pedal platforms, you might want to investigate the world of "Marshall-in-a-box" pedals before giving up on it if the TSL combo isn't cutting it.

Spudman
September 28th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I used an MXR Dyna Comp for many years in front of my TS9 on my touring board. I loved the way it would make solos come out and the instant musical feedback was great too. I stopped using one for the last 20 years until this week. I'm subbing in a country band and I have been experimenting with compressors in my M13. It's great having all the clean picking coming out smooth and even at the right volume. Not too aggressive yet the quiet bits still can be heard easily too. It makes strumming pretty consistent and clean sounding as well.

I probably won't use it much for hard rock but for the clean stuff it's awesome.