PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Greece

abraxas
August 29th, 2006, 11:43 AM
I'm happy to be in here, so it's appropriate to introduce myself.

I live in Greece and I currently work as a software engineer. I'm getting 38 in a few days and I'm playing since 13 y.o. I have worked professionally as a musician up to a few years ago and have played in a number of small bands (mainly classic/hard rock at the time).

At the present I'm just enjoying playing either alone or with friends as well as recording. I'm working on a CD release of my own, which I would have finished by Christmas (this year, hopefully :p ).

I don't see myself attached to a particular style, since I totally love any kind of instrumental guitar or guitar based music and try to steal as much as possible from whatever interesting I happen to listen to! A generic description would be "fusion" whatever that means...

I'm at a turning point as far as gear is concerned, but have gravitated towards some things I consider essential. By the end of the year I hope to have anything I really need! So, if anyone should be interested:

Guitars:

Kramer Pacer Deluxe (USA, 1986), upgraded with SD pickups
EBMM Axis Super Sport Hardtail
PRS SE Soapbar II (with Jason Lollar P-90s)
'62 Strat "Replica" (a.k.a. "The Blue Dream")
Yamaha LL6 Acoustic
Precision type bass, made from kit and decorated with custom art (by my daughter... :D )

Amps:

THD Univalve (with a LOT of spare tubes)
Mesa Boogie Thiele 1X12" cabinet, with ELV12M speaker
(eagerly awaiting a single ended class A practice amp and a Bassman '59 clone, both handmade from a good friend)

Pedals, etc:

Budda wah pedal, Radial Tonebone Classic, Proco RAT (from the 80s...), Boss HM-2, Boss DD-2, EHX Small Stone, EHX Small Clone, Boss chromatic tuner, THD Hotplate.

Robert
August 29th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Welcome abraxas! It seems we have a few things in common, you and I!

I develop websites and web applications, and I have taught software engineering at a university.
I am a couple years younger than you.
I am from Europe.

Glad you have you aboard!

abraxas
August 29th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Welcome abraxas! It seems we have a few things in common, you and I!

I develop websites and web applications, and I have taught software engineering at a university.
I am a couple years younger than you.
I am from Europe.

Glad you have you aboard!

Furthermore, you are from Sweden, where a very good friend of mine lives (Malmo). I visited last year and will go again around Christmas this year.

We also both have a teenage daughter, mine just so, as she gets 12 this November! :D

duhvoodooman
August 29th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Wow, we're really starting to pull in the Greek fretters! Cool! :cool:

Welcome,Abraxas! Love the forum name you chose; one of my favorite Santana albums!

Would love to hear a clip of that PRS with the P-90's. I'll bet she screams! :DR

Leonidas
August 29th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Welcome aboard abraxas! I just joined recently myself, and feel like I've known these guys for months.. Great place to chat it up.

Speaking of similiarities Robert, I also am a web developer...

Spudman
August 29th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Hi Abraxas. Good luck with the CD.

elavd
August 30th, 2006, 02:18 AM
High Abraxas!!!

Glad to find you here (we have been talking on a Greek forum also...;) )

I am also Greek, web developer and strat lover :D ;)

SuperSwede
August 30th, 2006, 02:19 AM
Welcome Abraxas!

Any chance of hearing a preview of your CD?

abraxas
August 30th, 2006, 02:57 AM
Thank you all for the warm welcome and kind words!

About the CD: Music of my own is not something I see as a profit, so most probably all the songs will me made available in mp3 format anyway.

@duhvoodooman
The PRS sound awesome with the Lollars... a budget guitar with enormous character and charm.

@Leonidas
Any relation with Greece yourself?

Leonidas
August 30th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Sorry no direct relation with greece! Although I would LOVE to visit the country some day.... I have a deep interest in Ancient Greek culture as well. Thats about it. Looks like you're my first contact from Greece! ;)

Oh almost forgot.. My nick Leonidas; I took that from the Spartan king who led his army of 300 men against the Persian invasion of Xerxes. :) One of my favorite stories in history...

elavd
August 30th, 2006, 02:27 PM
My nick Leonidas; I took that from the Spartan king who led his army of 300 men against the Persian invasion of Xerxes. :) One of my favorite stories in history...

Oh!! You are very well informed about the Greek history :)

Cheers from another Greek ;)

Robert
August 30th, 2006, 02:51 PM
elavd, you must post an intro in the Fret players section too!

elavd
August 30th, 2006, 03:02 PM
elavd, you must post an intro in the Fret players section too!
YES SIR!

http://www.auburnfootball.com/GIFS/yes_sir.gif

:D

abraxas
August 30th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Oh almost forgot.. My nick Leonidas; I took that from the Spartan king who led his army of 300 men against the Persian invasion of Xerxes. :) One of my favorite stories in history...

Which reminds me... a nick I use a lot on several forums, is "Dienekes"... I'm sure you know where that is from? :D

Leonidas
August 30th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Which reminds me... a nick I use a lot on several forums, is "Dienekes"... I'm sure you know where that is from? :D

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM......
Nope, sorry! :confused: It doesn't ring a bell.

abraxas
August 31st, 2006, 01:29 AM
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM......
Nope, sorry! :confused: It doesn't ring a bell.

Check on this page, for example (search for "dienekes"):
http://www.legion-fourteen.com/greeks.htm

(Sorry for the O.T. :o )

Tone2TheBone
August 31st, 2006, 08:10 AM
Opah! (always wanted to say that). Welcome. :)

t_ross33
August 31st, 2006, 08:47 AM
Welcome! My wife spent a summer touring Europe before we got married, and she talks very fondly of Greece. Says she wants to go back some day, but I'm not sure if she wants me along :eek: Just kidding...

Attended a Greek wedding once - that was interesting and a lot of fun! The groom was Greek, the bride, Irish. Neat, but not as neat as the wedding for other friends of ours - the groom was East Indian and the bride Dutch.

Anyway, welcome from the melting pot that is Canada :D Rock on brother!

Trev

Leonidas
August 31st, 2006, 08:56 AM
"So much the better, then we shall fight in the shade." :)

Haha, I see. I knew that phrase, but I did not know who said it.

tot_Ou_tard
September 8th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Check on this page, for example (search for "dienekes"):
http://www.legion-fourteen.com/greeks.htm

(Sorry for the O.T. :o )
Well ABRAXAS I always post in the shade just for that reason!

OOoo OOoo OOOoo

Greek Gods *AND* Spartans have entered the fretdom?!?

please please tell me that Persephone will soon be arriving.

.....ummm got my pomegranate

................................pretending to sleep next to the fig tree

YAWN .....

snore

snore