PDA

View Full Version : C to G chord change

Barre Fly
September 28th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Now, i know this is the beginners and newbs section, but looking at the other threads I feel I'm about to ask the most newbish question ever so far! :D

My chord change from a C to a G, or vice versa, is really slow. I'm playing the C and G like this:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/towerjunkie19/Random%20Stuff/cchord.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/towerjunkie19/Random%20Stuff/untitled.jpg

Is there another shape I can play the chords in for a quicker change?

markb
September 28th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Either practice the move several million times or learn to use the 4th finger for the high G on the 1st string so that your hand shape doesn't change. You then finger the low B and G with 2nd and 3rd fingers respectively.
You can then "set up" for the change by adding the high G to the Cmaj chord with your pinky and just sliding the two fingers across from the C shape. Lift the index finger and you've got a Gmaj.

mjk123
September 28th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Either practice the move several million times or learn to use the 4th finger for the high G on the 1st string so that your hand shape doesn't change. You then finger the low B and G with 2nd and 3rd fingers respectively.
You can then "set up" for the change by adding the high G to the Cmaj chord with your pinky and just sliding the two fingers across from the C shape. Lift the index finger and you've got a Gmaj.

I S_ck at the guitar and have been practicing for about a year now. I need more work on my chord changes, but I will admit that I am getting faster on the changes. One thing that has been helping is trying to slow down on the changes. Sounds weird, but the more I play slower, the better my speed is improving. Don't get me wrong, I still need way more practice (years) to get the changes down....:thwap:

sunvalleylaw
September 28th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I would just keep practicing the change with a metronome, four strums C, four strums G, in time, over and over again. You will get it. If you get bored with the metronome, pick an easy song like "Leaving on a jet plane" (basically all G and C with a D thrown in here and there) and play along with it. "Knocking on Heaven's Door" is also good, but not as direct between G and C. Then back to the metronome. Mix up your strum pattern a bit, and get into the groove. You'll get it.

just strum
September 28th, 2009, 03:48 PM
To this day I have a problem going to C from a few chords, but G to C seems to be the toughest. Part of the problem (at least for me) is that I am so conscious of the difficulty that I over compensate by thinking about it to much.

A few things that have helped me

1) Don't look - by looking you are thinking where your fingers must go, therefore you make muscle memory more difficult. Looking also slows the move from one chord to the next.

2) Don't angle your guitar so that it is easy to see the fret board. By angling the guitar in such a manner, you make it more difficult to fret.

3) Relax the hand. As in golf, the more you feel challenged, the more you have the tendency to tighten up, making free flowing movement more difficult to achieve. You will also find yourself putting far too much pressure on the strings.

Think about the above, do the repetitive practice as suggested in the other posts and you will see improvement. You are going to make mistakes until you grow comfortable enough, just have fun and enjoy the progress.

evenkeel
September 28th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Here is another practice tip for you to try.

Chord the C (or G) in whatever way you like. Then take your fingers off the fret board just a fraction of an inch, pause then put them back in place in one motion. The objective is for all the fingers to hit the fretboard at the same time. You don't even need to strum. As you get comfortable start moving the fingers farther away, but always come back all at the same time. What you are looking for is to be able to drop your hand by your side and, wham come right back to the "C", or "G".

I also like MarkB suggestion on how to finger the C and G chords. Using your middle, ring and pinky to make the "G" gives you the ability to add some other notes with you first finger.

marnold
September 28th, 2009, 05:42 PM
My problem with that change was because I originally learned to play the G with my first three fingers. Much easier to fret, but much harder to switch to C. Eventually I forced myself to learn the G with fingers 2-4. A way to make the transition easier is to play the G with two fingers: the pinkie on the high E and the ring finger on the low E. Your ring finger will almost naturally mute the A string.

Beyond that it's just a matter of practicing over and over.

just strum
September 28th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I started playing G with my pinky on the high e - maybe one of the few good habits I picked up.

Childbride
September 28th, 2009, 06:25 PM
the metronome is your friend.

from time to time you want to throw the metronome.

curse the metronome.

but it really is a Good Thing. :)

just strum
September 28th, 2009, 06:29 PM
the metronome is your friend.

from time to time you want to throw the metronome.

curse the metronome.

but it really is a Good Thing. :)

My failure in my practice sessions - I've never really used one.

I guess I rely on that constant ticking in my head.

t_ross33
September 28th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I find this thread interesting because "G" was the first chord my Dad taught me and I learned it using fingers 1-3. With practice my "G" to "C" change got pretty quick. Then I saw someone fret "G" with fingers 2-4 and thought that was pretty cool, especially using the pinky on the 3rd fret of the high "e" when playing the Cmaj shape... but, I find that I switch between the 1-3 method and the 2-4 method, often within the same song :) I guess I just go with whatever feels "right" at the moment - ;)

sunvalleylaw
September 28th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I play G to C with fingers 1 - 3 and over time, it his not hard to make the change. Partly because almost all the early songs I learned were C D G Am oriented songs.

Barre Fly
September 29th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Fantastic! Thanks for all the feedback, glad I'm not alone with this chord change. I play G with the first 3 fingers also, I'll try switching in the pinky and also the metronome I thought was a great idea. And practice!! Yep, practice, practice, practice...boring as hell, but where would we be without it? :D

I have mainly been playing American Pie (Don McLean) to practice the chord change, as the tempo change in the song lends itself well to this particular exercise. I also want to play Vampire by Antsy Pants, which is much faster on the changes...and just a really damn cute song!

Thanks again!

sunvalleylaw
September 29th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Fantastic! Thanks for all the feedback, glad I'm not alone with this chord change. I play G with the first 3 fingers also, I'll try switching in the pinky and also the metronome I thought was a great idea. And practice!! Yep, practice, practice, practice...boring as hell, but where would we be without it? :D

I have mainly been playing American Pie (Don McLean) to practice the chord change, as the tempo change in the song lends itself well to this particular exercise. I also want to play Vampire by Antsy Pants, which is much faster on the changes...and just a really damn cute song!

Thanks again!

Great! LOL! I was playing Am. Pie last night and thought I should suggest it.