PDA

View Full Version : humbling...

Childbride
September 28th, 2009, 07:10 PM
i work daily on theory, arps, scales, sight reading, memorizing the fretboard.

my teacher is very good about working on basic technique, as well. last lesson, alternate picking for economy on the fretboard.

and this week, a lesson on 'planting'.

one of the first things i do as part of my exercise/practice regimen is to work on manuel lopez ramos coordination exercises.

now i have to do them without moving any fingers until that finger comes into play on the next fret.

simple, in theory.

but i have to watch b/c my fingers want to jump start like maggie after a ball,

and coming back down the fretboard, i mute all over the place.

not a bi*** session, it's just an obstacle, and i love a challenge.

but it is humbling.

mrmudcat
September 28th, 2009, 08:18 PM
getrdun........sister.........breath, relax

:rockon:

kiteman
October 13th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Practice makes perfect. :)

Childbride
October 13th, 2009, 09:54 PM
[grin] actually, this week runs me one better.

i'm learning chord melody, with lots of barres. once i learn the chords/basic melody we go back and learn how to walk the bass line.

i stink at barres with fingerings attached. i'm doing gymnastics here. i have an exercise to help me.

if i was humbled before, i feel like a kindergartner now. :thwap

ZMAN
October 15th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Every so often I go back to some of the first self teaching books and DVDs I purchased. I throw them on and I am amazied at how simple they were and how I thought I would never be able to do it. THAT seems like kindergarden now. It really helps to make me feel better about the level I am at now. STILL a work in progress though, but if it was easy I wouldn't be interested!

Childbride
October 16th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Every so often I go back to some of the first self teaching books and DVDs I purchased. I throw them on and I am amazied at how simple they were and how I thought I would never be able to do it. THAT seems like kindergarden now. It really helps to make me feel better about the level I am at now. STILL a work in progress though, but if it was easy I wouldn't be interested!

i am making significant progress. if it wasn't hard, it wouldn't fascinate me. :)