PDA

View Full Version : Any Gov't Mule Fans?

Leonidas
August 29th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Hey just wondering how many Gov't Mule fans we got out there. Their new album came out recently, and wanted to see what anyone thought of it.

I think its great! Quite different from their older stuff, but damn good.. Warren's my man. :DR

Spudman
August 29th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Totally man. Did you see Warren when he was in the house band for the Carson Daley Show? Too cool. That man has mojo...and tons of friends.

marnold
August 30th, 2006, 08:00 AM
I've got Deja Voodoo that I downloaded from eMusic. Good stuff. My favorite track is "Slackjaw Jezebel." I was thrilled to find out that they were going to be playing with the Allman Brothers in Green Bay (just 1/2 hour away!) this week, but by the time I found out about it, all the tickets were sold out. I would have loved to have seen that show.

Tone2TheBone
August 30th, 2006, 08:09 AM
What I've seen and heard about them yeah I dig them. I need to add them to my iPod definately. Gotta love those 'Pauls.

Tone2TheBone
August 30th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Ok Muleys can you offer me some CD suggested listening? I'm going to Hastings for lunch today to get Muled.

Leonidas
August 30th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Hope I posted soon enough for ya...

My favorite Mule albums are their live ones. The best of them (IMO) would be The Deepest End which features a lot of great guest bass players (it was a show to honor Allen Woody, their previous bass player who passed away). This one also comes with a DVD which is excellent. Theres also Live with a Little Help From Our Friends. I think that ones kinda pricey if I remember right. Box set or somthing?

Regular studio albums, Deja Voodoo is a good one, or either of The Deep End or The Deep End Vol 2. Or the new one, High and Mighty.

Tone2TheBone
August 30th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Hope I posted soon enough for ya...

My favorite Mule albums are their live ones. The best of them (IMO) would be The Deepest End which features a lot of great guest bass players (it was a show to honor Allen Woody, their previous bass player who passed away). This one also comes with a DVD which is excellent. Theres also Live with a Little Help From Our Friends. I think that ones kinda pricey if I remember right. Box set or somthing?

Regular studio albums, Deja Voodoo is a good one, or either of The Deep End or The Deep End Vol 2. Or the new one, High and Mighty.

Thanks Leonidas for your suggestions. Live stuff sounds like a good start. I love live recordings.

Jimi75
August 30th, 2006, 11:38 AM
I thinks Mule is a perfect example for a real live band. When I heard Deja Voodoo I liked it of course, but at some points it was so and so, to be honest some parts bored me.

Then I saw them live and I witnessed a completely different vibe.

Warren is just great and puts lot of emotion into his songs. His sound is great and to me he is one of the great Les Paul and Firebird players.

Only one thing that I still do not like:
The keyboarder! He nerved me beyond believe with his playing.

Spudman
August 30th, 2006, 07:10 PM
I agree with Leo. That tribute album is killer. I just heard it for the first time last week and was really impressed and inspired. Good stuff.

Spudman
September 1st, 2006, 09:20 AM
Leo

Have you listened to the new album "High And Mighty"? How is it?

Hey just wondering how many Gov't Mule fans we got out there. Their new album came out recently, and wanted to see what anyone thought of it.

I think its great! Quite different from their older stuff, but damn good.. Warren's my man. :DR

Leonidas
September 4th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Leo

Have you listened to the new album "High And Mighty"? How is it?

As I said before, I think it is great. It is quite different from any of their previous albums. Warren's guitar, especially. I think he gets a much "harder rock" sort of sound throughout the album. As you said before, though, they are at their best live. A handful of the songs are excellent, and even better live (as I witnessed at the Allman Bros show last week). I would say overall it moves the band in a slightly new direction that they haven't explored before. Definitely worth a listen, IMO.

TS808
September 5th, 2006, 06:31 AM
A few years back I remember I was driving home from work one day and had the radio on. I was listening to the song (Soulshine) and wondering who the hell that was with the vocals for one, and was really blown away by the soulful playing and emotion in that song. I went out and bought the CD immediately, and have bought every one since.

Definitely one of the best (and unrecognized by mainstream radio) bands out there today. Haynes' guitar tone and voice are nothing short of amazing.

Spudman
September 11th, 2006, 02:50 PM
OK. I bought this album and am totally underwhelmed.

I haven't found anything on it very inspirational. The lyrics are mediocre at best and the compositions are ho hum. Not much energy on it either.

I have other stuff by Warren and find those much easier to listen to.
I don't think this one is going to get much play from me. Sorry.