PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever have that Idiot moment?

street music
September 28th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I have to tell this story to you as it was just one of those times in my life that I felt so stupid. Saturday the wife and I drove over to West Virginia to my favorite guitar shop just to kill time while my wife was shopping in her favorite clothing store.
I'm sitting in the store with a couple of employees and just chatting about different concerts. I heard this guitar being played in the acoustic room and just a really great tune being layed down. So I get up walk in and one guy is standing watching his friend play a new D-28. I ease over and and the guy standing exchanged introductions with me and then the the other stops and shakes hands with me and says I'm DEAN DILLON glad to meet you. ??????:thwap: My mind is whirling, I know this name and remember the face but why???:poke: His friend talks with me a little while Dean is playing again. So I just had to ask, "SORRY BUT I'm FEELING RATHER STUPID FOR NOT puttingyour name with the fact I know I'm talking to someone of great status?" His friend says well he has written more than 14 #1 songs for George Strait :thwap: :thwap: :poke: OK! this lite came on suddenly in my head. A member of the SONGWRITERS HALL OF FAME is sitting right in front of me playing and I just got to meet him.
As it turns out he was there to make plans for a Songwriters training class in November. I have reserved seats at this event and am excited about attending this class. To me this is another great music moment for me to have met a true legend in the music industry.

mrmudcat
September 28th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I have had a few idiot moments myself.............that is classic though brother:dude:

I wouldnt of even known as much as ya did:whatever:

luvmyshiner
September 28th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Wow Street! What a great story. I'm a big fan of George and have seen him in concert on several occasions. But honestly I wouldn't be able to tell you who any of his song writers are . . . other than the one I tagged for some back child support when I was a young lawyer.:rotflmao:

Kodiak3D
September 28th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Wasn't named Dean was he? :rotflmao:

wingsdad
September 28th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Wasn't named Dean was he? :rotflmao:
Not at that time...at least that's what Shiner's told me :poke:

Spudman
September 28th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I had one of those moments when meeting Rudy Sarzo for the first time in a music store. I walked over to him and asked what he played in the band (Quiet Riot, Whitesnake). He said "I play bass." Duh! :thwap:

street music
September 29th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I had one of those moments when meeting Rudy Sarzo for the first time in a music store. I walked over to him and asked what he played in the band (Quiet Riot, Whitesnake). He said "I play bass." Duh! :thwap:
Spud that was a good one too.
When you check out all that Dean Dillon has written for it is just amazing at the song list, I am truely honored to have met this icon.

Tig
September 29th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Wow, I was expecting a much dumber moment. I mean, at least you started to recognize his name, and besides, I doubt many who know the name would know what he looked like. Don't kick yourself too hard!

The second time I met Billy Gibbons (first was at a wedding in the late 70's) was at a skydiving drop zone in Leage City, TX, which was just a dozen miles from Billy's house, back around 1989. We're all busy packing our chutes for the next jump and up rolls a few guys on motorcycles. One was on a blue and white GSXR 1100 with a long beard that had 2 rubberbands around it. It didn't click. He stands up and is pretty tall, but no clue yet. Takes off his helmet and has a do-rag and sunglasses, but still no clue yet (DUH!). A buddy recognizes him and tells me, and the low wattage lightbulb goes off in my head. I've been listening to ZZ Top for about 15 years at this point, so you'd think I'd have at least a little flash of brain power, but I guess you don't expect to see someone like him at a place like that.

He and his buddies were just taking a break during a ride and stopped to watch some skydiving. Of course, he didn't act like a hotshot and wasn't looking for mobs of adoring fans. That's not the man's way!

Now, I'm not the type to get all star struck, and never say the usual stuff when I meet someone famous. I try to treat them like normal people, which might be something all too rare. For some reason, I've run into many politicians, musicians, actors, athletes, and even wrestlers at various places my whole life. So I wonder up to Billy and ask him if he or his buddies are gonna' do any skydiving today (ice breaker joke that he answers smiling, "Aw, hell no... We ain't that crazy!"), ask about his motorcycle, and if they're working on any albums (it had been a few years since they released any new music, he replied that they were messing around in his studio with a few songs, but not recording anything).

Billy is as cool as it gets. He's just another easy going Texas boy who happens to be smart as a whip and can lay down some serious boogie rockin' blues. I hear he's an avid collector of classic movies.

street music
September 29th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Now that had to be cool.

kiteman
October 4th, 2009, 07:13 AM

Now he's playing bass for Blue Oyster Cult. :)

deeaa
October 4th, 2009, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't know a famous musician by looks or name either in most cases.

I used to work in a music store and sometimes there'd be some famous folk shopping, and sometimes when they paid and wanted a receipt and I asked for their names and stuff, they'd look at me kinda weird - expected me to know them. Sometimes a fellow salesman would tell me afterwards like 'wow, didn't you know that guy he was this-and-that' and I'd reply I don't give a hoot about anybody famous, I only care for music not the people who make it. They're all just customers to me be they kings of Sheba or the guy next door. I don't bow to no man even if I respected them how much.

I do know Angus Young plays in AC/DC and Kenwyn House played in Reef, but I'm sure I wouldn't recognize either on the street. I'd know some frontmen by looks, though.