PDA

View Full Version : And now for something completely different...

333maxwell
September 29th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Ok... uh.... well..

I wrote and recorded this one yesterday.. a few things to know about it..

First off it is in mono.. being I am totally deaf in my right ear I get so tired of the music playing second fiddle to stereo imaging, on this one I said 'to heck with it'.. instead of guessing I know exactly what I put before you.. I tend to think Mono works great for a song like this.. hardly low tech.. I am using it by intent.. *L*

Secondly, if you do have a listen I would like to draw attention to the Bass.. working it out and performing it all the way through was fairly tedious as it isn't just standard 'boom boom'.

Thirdly, I'd like to know what people think about mono for a song like this.. would it really be that much better to you if it was in stereo, or does the musical point get across without it? This I really would like to hear thoughts on..

So without further adieu, in all it's obscure glory..
I present

Dream Girl
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8155367

Peace~

mjk123
September 29th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Great song.

333maxwell
September 30th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Great song.

Hey.. thanks so much for the ear and time..

I am always leary of putting up a song like this, let alone the fact it is in 'mono'.. but good reception of the song in general has been much more than anticipated..

Thanks again..

------------

And for the very nice and polite email I got reminding me this was a
guitar forum' I just want to establish that I worked my arse off on the Bass and delivering it and performing it strait through with no overdubs.. it didn't come super easy to me because it is fairly up beat and I am not an upbeat kinda guy.. but by all means the bass is a 'guitar' and this song would be absolutely nothing without it.. and again, it simply wasn't an easy part to pull off..

On the flip side of that, thanks for being 'gentle' and I know you meant well and kept it private.. (to which I have now tactlessly made public).. yet I can't stress enough that Bass is a guitar and I can bang out 6 string all day long.. the bass performance in this song to me.. is something special considering I am a hack and was able to pull it off..

Thanks again.. peace~!

marnold
September 30th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Interesting track--kind of Beatlesesque. I think the mono recording helped with that old timey feeling.

We discuss bass here too. I know I have. I didn't think your original post was in any way out of line or away from the spirit of The Fret. I mean, until we got the new logo, the tagline said, "The Place for Guitar and Bass."

deeaa
September 30th, 2009, 10:10 PM
What a refreshing song! Quite excellent, thanks! Wouldn't have noticed it being mono either, listening on my laptop. I especially like the vocal sound, very warm & vintage but bright at the same time.

333maxwell
October 2nd, 2009, 08:36 AM
Interesting track--kind of Beatlesesque. I think the mono recording helped with that old timey feeling.

We discuss bass here too. I know I have. I didn't think your original post was in any way out of line or away from the spirit of The Fret. I mean, until we got the new logo, the tagline said, "The Place for Guitar and Bass."

Hi Marnold.. thanks for the ear and time..

And yes, I tend to think some people forget that Bass is a guitar in it's own rights.. and in fact 99 percent of all electric guitar work is going to need bass to be laying down the whole foundation..

I love playing bass because it is a totally different mindset.. familiar, yet not the same as standard geetar..

Peace~!

333maxwell
October 2nd, 2009, 08:37 AM
What a refreshing song! Quite excellent, thanks! Wouldn't have noticed it being mono either, listening on my laptop. I especially like the vocal sound, very warm & vintage but bright at the same time.

Good to hear it comes through ok on laptop speakers..

I've only heard it on cheesy headphones myself so it is nice to know when another system treats it favorably..

Thanks again~!