PDA

View Full Version : Robin Trower heart attack

Spudman
September 30th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I just got this:

Did you hear robin trower was at the palace in greensburg this past weekend chari and maria wanted to go but we didnt. what happened was he had a heart attack before the show back stage he went down they had to defib him and when the ambulance came they worked on him out front of the palace in the ambulance for 90 min doing something
twenty till 10 he walked on stage did they say a great 2 hour set walked off stage and went to the hospital!!

Oh Noes! Scary.

birv2
September 30th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Holy crap.

You gotta admire him doing the show, but here's hoping he takes care of himself, so he can play this music for many more years.

Anybody hear anything else?

Perfect Stranger
October 1st, 2009, 06:05 AM
Sounds like the beginning of an urban legend to me. Having been there myself, you do NOT get up and do a 2 hour show
immediately after a heart attack. If it did indeed happen, he is either stupid....or stupid!

Perfect Stranger
October 1st, 2009, 06:09 AM
Perhaps it got it's start from this item....

"In other Trower related news, founding Robin Trower Band drummer Reg Isadore passed away on March 22 of a heart attack. The drummer, who played on the first two classic albums by the band, 'Twice Removed From Yesterday' and 'Bridge Of Sighs' also was part of the lineup for 'Truce', the 1980 album with Jack Bruce. Isadore, who also played with Peter Green and the late Richard Wright of Pink Floyd was 59."

birv2
October 1st, 2009, 06:37 AM
Just did a Google search for it and didn't find anything like this.

Spudman
October 1st, 2009, 07:20 AM
Just did a Google search for it and didn't find anything like this.

This probably didn't make the news. It was reported by someone who went to the show.

sumitomo
October 1st, 2009, 07:56 AM
Say it's not so! Robin if your readin this take it easy man.Sumi:D

Spudman
October 1st, 2009, 08:04 AM
From his forum:

Robin rocked the burgh! First off the show began late because Robin fell ill just as the show was about to begin. Then he emerged and started out slow and built his way up to an incredible finish that would rival the best of his best shows.

Rumors flew all around as fast as lightening and quickly blew out of proportion since nobody really knew what happened since the show became unusually late in beginning, then the curtain went down as if there was a real problem and the lights briefly came on and then went off again so most got up and took a rest room break until some type of announcement would be made. Several said they witnessed an ambulance outside and it was there for Robin. So before the rumors begin to fly even more around here, let me quickly dispel them and say that Robin is ok. Well, I mean he probably just has a touch of the bug which today, can be dangerous for anyone, but otherwise I think he's in very good health. I spoke to Glenn Letsch (Robin's bassist), Davey Pattison and Laurie (Rob's sound engineer) and they all said individually, that Robin got overheated in the small dressing room and had a bit of a bug in his stomach as did Glenn the day before who had a heck of a time with it the day before at the State College PA gig.

In fact, read Pete Thompson (Robin's drummer's blog) how they all have been really sick the past few weeks, so it must have finally caught up with Robin tonight. http://petestourandstudioblog.blogspot.com/

However, the show did go on. When Robin finally appeared, it was apparent he was a little under the weather but he belted out one song after another to perfection like a storm trooper.

He brought the entire audience to their feet several times (in a seated only theatre where the crowd abandoned their seats and rushed towards the stage to be by him). At that one powerful moment, there were some tears flowing around us including a few of my own since we didn't know yet what had really happened to him yet and were very concerned for his health and safety. We were all also just so happy that he was able to appear, then not only to complete the show but to hit it out of the ballpark, was like witnessing a miracle. I mean this guy bravely just put his all into it like the true dedicated professional he is. You could just feel all the love everyone there had for Robin more than any of the many other shows I've been to of his.

Afterwards, he exited the building about 45 minutes after the show, (after the roadies had a chance to et everything packed up) walked out towards his car up a rather steep hill signing, no autographs as it was apparent he was really exhausted and not feeling well at all so we were all just hoping he could go and rest and get any medical help he might need to treat the bug.

That said, it was a stark awakening about how precious he is to us all and even though what happened may have just been a bit of exhaustion, the bug, the heat, whatever. It was apparent to me that his final farewell tour, if there is to be one, will be a very tough pill to swallow for us long-time die hard fans of this exceptional and irreplaceable as Hendrix artist. He really proved tonight what he's made of, with a constitution of steel. He played much of the first half with his eyes closed much of the time and allowed the music to carry him through. Then, he began to relax and open up some more, then he began to smile and the flood gates opened up, leaving jaws dropped wide open throughout the theatre there was just complete awe and amazement ending in a thunderous applause.

I just ask that you all pray for his and the crew's health and safety through the rest of the tour as these guys are a long way from home and their families. God Bless Robin and the whole crew on the road and hope they all get well fast including Pete with his chest pains due to some kind of flu or bronchial thing I think, Glenn with his bug and Dave the merch guy with the same bug.

Now for you gear heads...about Robin's amps tonight as it seems to be a hot topic around here, I spoke to Laurie, Rob's sound engineer of many many years (what a super nice man he was as were several of Rob's roadies who were so friendly and all had these cool Brit accents - must cost a small fortune to bring them all over!). Anyway, he said for this particular venue, he rigged up 2 x Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 50 watt heads into 2 x 2x12 stunning Red Cornell RT Signature cabs against the blackish purple Marshall heads. See http://www.dc-developments.com/cornell_custom_RT100.htm and http://marshallamps.com/product_range.asp?productRangeId=23 He used the smaller cabs since it was a very acoustical theatre and they really didn't need 2 x 100 watt heads and the 2 Fawn 4x12 240 watt half stacks. He said the 50 watters have a warmer sound that he preferred and that could be due to the 4x12s being much louder and more aggressive. He may be right because Robin's tone was exceptionally sweet and smooth tonight, not quite as percussive or roaring raw sounding as earlier times when he used the JCM 800 and Plexi and OCD or even when I saw him back in June at the Cleveland House of Blues where he had the same 2 Marshall heads but used the Fawn Cabs. Not to say, that other sound wasn't great as well, but this was just more singing and sweet! Of course I have the 100 watt version of the Vintage Modern on the way but I'll just pull 2 output tubes and make it a 50 watter through a 2x12 V30 cab. The Cornell cabs were all closed back with Celestion G12 Vintage 30 speakers that he said have been swapped out in the Fawn cabs several times over the years. Great stuff to know!

About the set list, a 16 year old kid (huge Trower fan telling us " this is real music here!" smart kid!) got the set list and I told him how to find the site and he promised to post it here later. Hope he will. I read it but I don't think Rob played it in the order the list read due to the circumstances.

Also, look for an interview to be posted soon of Robin with my friend Monica Yasher who writes for American Blues Blog. It is a 2 part interview that is going to rock! Bookmark http://www.americanbluesblog.com/2009/09/pittsburghderek-trucks-rev...

Take care and get well fast guys! You are loved!

sunvalleylaw
October 1st, 2009, 10:32 AM
I am glad to hear some other perspective on it, and glad to know it was not more serious.

msteeln
October 1st, 2009, 12:00 PM
Great news, what a relief!

Perfect Stranger
October 1st, 2009, 01:09 PM
That is good news...

sumitomo
October 1st, 2009, 03:35 PM
Wew!!! Glad to hear it was just a little gas!! Sumi:D