PDA

View Full Version : First lesson with a new teacher

Kodiak3D
September 30th, 2009, 09:05 PM
My frist guitar teacher was an accomplished musician. She played mandolin for the local orchestra and taught guitar (and probably other instruments on the side). While I certainly learned things from her, it ended witha sour note (no pun intended) as her classical musician attitude eventually got on my nerves. That really hurt my desire to play and I put my axes down for over a year.

Tonight I had my firs lesson with my new teacher. He's much closer to my age and used to play guitar for several local bands (he's taking time off since he had a child). He's closer to my age and listens to music more similar to my tastes. He's also a much better teacher. Just after my first half hour session with him tonight I feel like I learned a lot. Learned some new exercises to warm up and to help with my chord changes.

It's nice to be back in the learner's seat. Now to work on my Enter Sandman assignment :D

peachhead
September 30th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Hey, that sounds great. Having the right teacher makes a big difference. Keep us posted on how it goes!

sunvalleylaw
September 30th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Sounds great! Never be afraid to kick a few tires.

street music
October 1st, 2009, 04:23 AM
Kodiak, that sounds great maybe we cab share a little this weekend, if I can survive this festival. What a rough night of trying to get our stage set up. I need to see my doctor this morning for an adjustment on the neck. I'll see you two on Friday.