PDA

View Full Version : POD Farm learning experiences

Robert
October 1st, 2009, 07:53 AM
I was messing around with POD Farm for hours yesterday. I finally figured out how to use it with Garageband.

The cool thing about it, is that you and record 2 ways. Either as a direct unit, where the tone you use when recording is what will stay on the recording.

The other way is to use it as a plugin, and then you can record it "dry" but you hear the tone you selected. However, since it as recorded dry, you can change the tone to whatever POD Farm tone you have, and you can do this any time after you have recorded the track. This is a pretty cool thing, in case you are laying down some rhythm tracks, but you later realize the tone is too mellow, too harsh, etc. Just open the plugin and pick a different amp tone. Voila! :pancake:

I had problems figuring out how to get monitoring working - I couldn't hear myself when playing, although the sound was recorded. I eventually realized I had to turn on monitoring in Garageband. Problem solved. I then hear the tone I want when I play, but I can still change it any time after the track is recorded. There is a slight delay (latency), but not very much, I think I can live with it. This is a very cool concept though, record dry and change tones on the fly, eh!

Nice free tool, this POD Farm. Of course, they make you want the bigger version, having some tones "halfway there", but one piece of gear is grayed out because you have to purchase it... sales tactics!

All in all, I'm quite happy with this set up now. Fun to mess around with late at night.

sumitomo
October 3rd, 2009, 09:48 PM
I have got to play with it a little,pretty cool,I'll have to wait awhile but I like the sounds better well see.Sumi:D

Suhnton
October 4th, 2009, 03:49 AM
It's pretty handy and I'm not going to complain about free software, but I prefer the old GearBox version's interface. Still as you say, it's good for reamping or changing amps on the fly after recording.