PDA

View Full Version : squier guitar that looks like a classic vibe 50s precision bass?

turfdog
October 1st, 2009, 08:11 AM
squier guitar that looks like a classic vibe 50s precision bass? i dont know what it is. have never seen one, have you?
its like a tele on a strat body ser #ic041022271
cant find anything on it
same pick gaurd and switch plate as the 50s precision bass
except its a guitar not a bass
lookin to see if someone knows what its called

ZMAN
October 1st, 2009, 08:36 AM
Squier 51. Check out Roberts story. http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitars/squier_51/

marnold
October 1st, 2009, 08:44 AM
Yep, I've got one although my son's using it now.

deeaa
October 1st, 2009, 09:37 AM
Ahh! That looks great! It's very much like my Davette in certain respects.
Rectifies many Strat annoyances for me. Like the awkward controls, and too-near-the-hand volume pot and the tremolo bridge and all singecoils and too many pickups. And it has a neck pickup slanted just like on my Davette too! And even a maple neck.

Mm, I'd certainly be interested in one of these if I ever came accross one...I've never seen one here though. Maybe it was never imported here, even.

turfdog
October 2nd, 2009, 04:11 AM
Squier 51. Check out Roberts story. http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitars/squier_51/
:beer: thanks zman ive been trying to find out what this guitar is for a while and thought i would try this site out
mine is a creamy white w/white pickguard and really cool looking
nobody i know has ever seen one
thanks for the info once again

Brian Krashpad
October 2nd, 2009, 08:08 AM
Ahh! That looks great! It's very much like my Davette in certain respects.
Rectifies many Strat annoyances for me. Like the awkward controls, and too-near-the-hand volume pot and the tremolo bridge and all singecoils and too many pickups. And it has a neck pickup slanted just like on my Davette too! And even a maple neck.

Mm, I'd certainly be interested in one of these if I ever came accross one...I've never seen one here though. Maybe it was never imported here, even.

About 3 years ago, you couldn't swing a dead cat in a music store in the States without hitting several '51's. They were quite cheap too. My local large mom-and-pop store had 3 in stock, but they all had noticeable fret sprout. Ouch.

msteeln
October 2nd, 2009, 11:36 AM
I've been boning up on this under the radar classic and 'fret sprout' is the only negative to be heard, and it's quite common. Rather simple fix.

ragnarpk
October 2nd, 2009, 01:04 PM
that thing looks awesome!

ZMAN
October 2nd, 2009, 02:29 PM
Hey Tdog. You are welcome. Those were a pretty big topic a year or so ago, maybe a bit longer. Squier discontinued them, and some of the larger online dealers were blowing them out at under 100 bucks. A lot of guys picked them up for projects and modding. It is really pretty amazing what you can get for 100 bucks in guitarland these days!

sollophonic
October 2nd, 2009, 03:53 PM
One of these (without the mods)?

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k7/andys_01/Squier51new1.jpg

msteeln
October 2nd, 2009, 04:38 PM
What would be a good bridge swap to support a Bigsby B5 (top mounted/ horseshoe) vibrato?

sollophonic
October 8th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Lots of stuff about these guitars at

http://www.instituteofnoise.com/squier51/forum/default.asp

Like a lot of others, I missed out on these, and to be honest they didnt really "blow them out" as much over here in the UK

I have just got hold of a modded blonde one, which I am going to mod even more myself.

Its a great guitar, with a great neck. The stock bridge pickup is a peach as well.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k7/andys_01/Squier51new1.jpg

Brian Krashpad
October 8th, 2009, 07:55 AM
I've been boning up on this under the radar classic and 'fret sprout' is the only negative to be heard, and it's quite common. Rather simple fix.

True dat. But I already had plenty of guitars, the price on these wasn't down to what the bigbox/online retailers dropped to, and it didn't really offer anything new in the way of pickups to what I already had. In general, if a guitar wants for modding or fixing (set-ups excluded of course) as offered, I don't buy. I might make exceptions for something long out of production or rarely seen locally, but not a 51.

msteeln
October 8th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Quick everybody, there one on Ebay as I write for only $968.65! Buy it now, 'cause it has Robert Cray's autograph! :crazyguy

sollophonic
October 21st, 2009, 05:11 AM
Love these guitars.

Ive got two now

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k7/andys_01/TwoSquier51sSofashot1.jpg

The blonde one now has a new GFS guard, and Ive put the wiring back to nearly what it used to have.

The sunburst is one I got for a steal for £41!. All Ive done is fitted a black guard to replace the one that was missing. Think Ill keep this one stock, though I may change the nut at some point

I'm a happy 51'er now. (Though if I find a black one at a good price to complete the set.....)

marnold
October 21st, 2009, 09:24 AM
The blonde one now has a new GFS guard, and Ive put the wiring back to nearly what it used to have.
I've got a blonde like that too (or, more accurately, my son does). I wondered what that GFS tort pickguard would look like on it. Pretty sharp! The only thing I did to mine is replace the neck pickup with the stock Jackson from my old Charvel Model 7. The high E string would disappear if you bent a note.

sollophonic
October 22nd, 2009, 04:41 AM
GFS are out of stock of the standard '51 guards in tortoiseshell, they only have the Custom ones which cover more of the guitar body. I just ordered a Custom one, it took a week to get to me in the UK, and I used the old guard to mark out and cut the Custom one to the old shape. Fretsaws, files and half an hour later I had a standard torty guard.

I need to get a black cover for the pickup on the white one though. Strat pickup covers only come in threes though, so I'll end up with a couple spare. Theyre cheap enough though.