PDA

View Full Version : Which Modeling Amps Should I Look At?

Retro Hound
October 1st, 2009, 01:14 PM
Hello,

This might be something of a newbie question, but I thought it might fit in under the modeling amps section.

I've got a Roland Cube 15x, my first amp. Since I got it (at a garage sale so there weren't others to try out) I've discovered the Cube 30x has quite a bit more. Then I got to looking around and have seen that other amps can simulate the sounds of many varieties of amps. The Vox Valvetronix VT30, the Peavey Vypyr, and the Fender G-DEC.

15 watts is really all I need, but it seems you have to get 30w to get the options I want. In fact, the "power squeeze" on the Roland is very nice for my wife who doesn't like me to get too loud. I'd like various amp selections and also effects. Since I'm new to playing the guitar, this seems a good way to get acquainted with different effects before buying any pedals.

So finally, my question is, what do you suggest? Am I missing any major amps I should be looking at? I hope to get to a store (that's an hour away) and try some out, but I'd like to have an idea what to look at before I get there since I won't have a whole lot of time. Also there's a Vypyr on Craigslist for $160US. http://joplin.craigslist.org/msg/1401204125.html Thanks.

Robert
October 1st, 2009, 01:45 PM
I'd get the Vox Valvetronix VT30, but all you have mentioned are good. It is simple a matter of personal preference in the end.

guitartango
October 1st, 2009, 04:22 PM
To be honest , i would go for a all tube 15w amp rather than a digital effects laden amp. The trouble with buying a cheap amp is that you will hear a real amp and wish the had the same. I started with a vox VT30 which is a decent digital amp, then after hearing the all tube fender blues jr had to buy one.

Depending on the music you play just buy a delay,wah and overdrive and you cant go wrong. :rockon:

or you could try the VOX AC4 TV8 Guitar Amp Combo, which is all tube.

Plank_Spanker
October 1st, 2009, 05:16 PM
To be honest , i would go for a all tube 15w amp rather than a digital effects laden amp. The trouble with buying a cheap amp is that you will hear a real amp and wish the had the same. I started with a vox VT30 which is a decent digital amp, then after hearing the all tube fender blues jr had to buy one.

True, but isn't that the natural progression of gear acquisition to start with?

For the OP, I think a modeling amp would be a great way to explore sounds, develop styles, and begin to form his owns tastes as he explores the art. He won't have to buy a bunch of stomp boxes as he samples the effects............and he gets a taste for the different effects.

ted s
October 1st, 2009, 07:37 PM
I share Plank's thoughts. Been there, done that. Started w/ old Traynor TS15 > Epi VJ > VT30 > Blues Jr. + various pedals > back to Vox w/VT50

SuperSwede
October 2nd, 2009, 09:29 AM
I´ve gone from various tube and quality SS amps and couldnt be happier with my VT50.. sure all models aint that great but just crank that ac50 model and the tube goodness just wash over you leaving you soaked with high quality tone.. and happy.

deeaa
October 2nd, 2009, 09:36 AM

Depending on the music you play just buy a delay,wah and overdrive and you cant go wrong. :rockon:

or you could try the VOX AC4 TV8 Guitar Amp Combo, which is all tube.

Ayh, they are nice...but few people can use a 15W toob amp at levels it needs be used...

I usually use my Ceria in 18W mode and it's LOUD so that it will cut thru and even drown even loudest drummers...on gigs I always get soundmen asking to turn the damned thing down. Seriously, it's just as loud as a 100W head with a little less inefficient speakers. And WAY louder than the other guitarist's 120W(or 100W? I think 120W) Line6 could ever be. I used to have a 15W 'boutique' tube amph as well, and that too was plenty loud for band playing. 15 tube watts is way much for home use. Of course, with a more ineffecient speaker even that can be too little...but even my Valve Jr. could drive a 2x12" loud enough for band playing and it too was so loud anyway that I could never really play it at home properly, even with my L-pad engaged.

Brian Krashpad
October 2nd, 2009, 11:19 AM
I've been very happy with my Fender Super Champ XD over the past couple months. For rock band gigs I have bigger pure tube amps (50W Sovtek Mig 50H, 40W '66 Super Reverb, 60W '60's Sunn 200S), but to use as a stage monitor for our lower-volume praise band at church, the SCXD is really boss. It takes the programming fuss out by simply having a batch (16 iirc) of preset amp voices and digital effects to choose from. For me, I like that kind of simplicity.

Oh, and it has 2 channels, clean and overdrive, and if you buy the $20 foot pedal, you can switch channels on the fly. And since it does have tubes in both power sections, the SCXD does a good job of emulating tube amp tones. 15W, 1x10. I think these were streeting for $300 or so; I found mine like new in a local pawn, got it for $175, and spent another $20 for the foot pedal.

Retro Hound
October 2nd, 2009, 12:21 PM
Thanks so far everyone. I'll look close at the Vox and add the Fender Super Champ XD to the list. Still open to suggestions, I was hoping to go this weekend, but looks like I will have to wait a few more weeks, so keep the discussion going.

Tig
October 2nd, 2009, 01:45 PM
I'd consider checking out the Fender Vibro Champ XD (5 watt Class A -plenty loud) for $200 or the Fender Super Champ XD (15 very loud watts) for $300. Play as many amps as you can to get a feel for what you want.

I like my $100 Peavey Vypyr 15, but will likely out grow it as soon as my finances allow (many here know that feeling!). The next higher Vypre 30 has so many more features, like the use of up to 5 effect at a time and a larger speaker (better bass response and headroom), but my next amp will likely be Fender Blues Junior NOS. I'll continue to build more effects pedals and won't be needing the onboard effects of the Vypyr.

I personally don't like the Line 6 Spider 2's and 3's. YMMV

Big K
October 4th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Vox or Valve Jr

kiteman
October 5th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I'd buy a good amp without any dsps and use mfx or single pedals. As your musical tastes changes you change the pedals not the amp.

I have 3 amps with nothing on 'em (2 tubes and an SS bass) but the tone controls. I went through a lot of pedals but still got the amps. :dude

deeaa
October 5th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I'd buy a good amp without any dsps and use mfx or single pedals. As your musical tastes changes you change the pedals not the amp.

I have 3 amps with nothing on 'em (2 tubes and an SS bass) but the tone controls. I went through a lot of pedals but still got the amps. :dude

Ayh, that be good advice.

Radioboy950
October 5th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Lot of guys around here---myself included---like the Vox modeling amps.
The attenuator knob is great. You can get an amp that's loud enough for a jam, but still sounds good at super-low bedroom volume.
A couple of the preset amp models are very good, others need EQ tweaks to your liking.
Having owned SS and tube amps, the Vox responds somewhat like a tube amp on my favorite 80's U.K. crunch setting, playing loud with humbuckers.
Add just a touch of reverb or a tiny bit of delay, and it really jumps out at you.

Rampant
October 6th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Hey dude

I'm pretty sure my next purchase is gonna be a Vox VT30. Sure enough, a pure tube amp does make a compelling argument, but at a cost I can't stretch to at the moment. Then add all the pedals, etc..... a big no-no for me at the moment! Maybe in a year or two???

At the moment I'm running a 5 watt tube amp with pretty pleasing tones itself... but I'm prefixing this with my KORG Pandora effects box. While this is a good "home" setup, I'm gonna go with the VT30 for the reasons that 1. It does sound very very tasty in it's own right 2. I'll be able to switch models with a foot switch, rater than stopping playing to manually scroll through settings on my Pandora 3. It can be run at attenuated wattages for the driven effect at lower "home" volumes and 4. It's very reasonably priced 5. It's very reasonably priced.

I think point 4 was so important it needed to be mentioned twice.

Sure I'd love a Fender tube amp just like I play through when I go for lessons, but that would cost 3 times as much. Plus the cost of the pedals. Also, I wouldn't crank up the volume at home like you can in a soundproofed studio (converted detached garage).

Vox VT30 it is for me, then :D

Retro Hound
October 27th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Well, being the nut that I am, I got the Vox VT30 and a Fender G-DEC. Haven't had much time with the G-DEC yet, but I only paid $100 for it. Love the Vox.

I understand what some people are saying about getting a tube amp and a few pedals, but here's where I'm at: What the heck is a flanger? Does a phaser have a stun setting? When I read about chorus, it didn't sound like anything I'd be interested in, but now that I actually hear it, it's one of my favorites. This is a learning opportunity and I can always sell my amps for more or close to what I paid for them and move up to a tube amp like the Fender Blues Jr. if that's what I decide to go with. Also, the Blues Jr. is around $400, so I'd have to sell all my amps to get one of those. And I might someday. I'm not boxing myself in. Thanks for all your input. This is a great forum.

bigG
October 27th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Congrats on the new amps, Retro! Especially that Vox VT30! Great choice! :applause

sunvalleylaw
October 27th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Hey congrats! Way to hedge your bet!

SuperSwede
October 28th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Congrats Retro Hound! Put the amp in AC50CP mode, everything at noon (expect for reverb and master) and plug in your strat.. best Vox emulation I´ve ever heard :)

And oh... the metal bull amp is much fun for AC/DC trips!

I wish you a wonderful journey discovering all cool sounds of that amph!

Rampant
October 28th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Well guys, I've been agonising over this for a while now and can't quite decide whether to go down the Vox VT30 route or somewhere slightly different - maybe Blackstar HT-5 combo and use my Pandora for effects until I can budget for some real pedals...

So Mr Retro - are you glad you got the Vox????

Brian Krashpad
October 28th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Haha, when in doubt, buy two!

I likes the cut o' yer jib, matey!

Retro Hound
October 28th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I'm lovin' the Vox and the Fender. They both sound great. I haven't messed with the settings on the Fender other than just dialing in the presets, but with the Vox, it's easier to play with the settings. I almost went with the VT15 because I don't need the power but I read that the bigger speaker is better and I figured if I ever did need more power, like to play at church or something, I'd have it if I got the VT30.

markb
October 28th, 2009, 03:11 PM
The bigger Voxes can actually play quieter than the 15s because they have the power attenuator in the back panel. This means you can drive the valve "power stage" and still turn down to bedroom levels.

Retro Hound
October 28th, 2009, 03:46 PM
The bigger Voxes can actually play quieter than the 15s because they have the power attenuator in the back panel. This means you can drive the valve "power stage" and still turn down to bedroom levels.

If the 15 doesn't have that then I am REALLY glad I got the 30.

danohat
February 13th, 2010, 09:16 AM
The Tech21 Trademark series is definitely worth a look.

Tig
February 13th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I like my $100 Peavey Vypyr 15, but will likely out grow it as soon as my finances allow (many here know that feeling!). The next higher Vypre 30 has so many more features, like the use of up to 5 effect at a time and a larger speaker (better bass response and headroom), but my next amp will likely be Fender Blues Junior NOS. I'll continue to build more effects pedals and won't be needing the onboard effects of the Vypyr.

Well, thanks to this patch sharing website, I've breathed new life back into my Peavey Vypyr...
Let's Share Some Vypyr Settings: http://geronigroove.free.fr/vypyr/?choice=select