PDA

View Full Version : We now have a ROOMBA!

Robert
October 1st, 2009, 02:47 PM
We have our own little cleaning iRobot now... :D

This thing - http://store.irobot.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2804959&cp=2804605.2501652&ab=CMS_IRBT_Storefront_062209_iwantroomba&parentPage=family#specifications

It actually works pretty good! Tried it yesterday, and it takes a while, but it keeps hammering away while we are at work. :dude: :dude:

CLIPLiQDIk0

Standard Features

* Efficiently vacuums dirt, debris, pet hair, dust, allergens and more from carpets and hard floors
* Counter rotating Bristle Brush and Beater Brush work together like a dustpan and broom
* Sturdy Bristle Brush digs deep into carpet fibers to grab dirt, debris, pet hair and more
* Powerful vacuum sucks large and small debris into the large, bag-less bin
* Fine filter traps dust, pollen and tiny particulate inside the bin
* Cleans the whole floor, under and around furniture, into corners and along wall edges
* Detects dirtier areas and spends more time cleaning them
* Spot Clean provides quick clean-up of spills and concentrated messes
* Automatically senses and avoids stairs and other drop-offs
* Simple operation—just press the Clean button and Roomba does the rest

Advanced Features

* Automatically returns to its self-charging Home Base to dock and recharge between cleanings
* Each Virtual Wall® Lighthouse™ (2 included) confines Roomba to one room until the entire floor is vacuumed before Roomba moves on to the next room.
* On-board scheduling — preset up to seven cleaning times per week for Roomba to clean when it's most convenient for you
* Faster counter-rotating brushes with improved design pick up more hair, debris and dust and are easy to remove and clean
* Improved filter captures more dust and allergens while a larger bin holds more debris
* Improved anti-tangle technology keeps Roomba from getting stuck on cords, carpet fringe and tassels
* Improved side brush makes Roomba even more efficient at cleaning edges and corners

Spudman
October 1st, 2009, 03:06 PM
Will it pick up cat poop and fish guts? Otherwise it's worthless to me.

Robert
October 1st, 2009, 03:19 PM
Sure, it picks up little kids and pets too. And small tube amps and pedals, unless you use superduper velcro. :D

rylanmartin
October 1st, 2009, 08:09 PM
I was gonna say "my wife is my Roomba" but then she caught me typing it... I may not be on the forum for a little while.....

peachhead
October 1st, 2009, 08:49 PM
I was gonna say "my wife is my Roomba" but then she caught me typing it... I may not be on the forum for a little while.....

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: good luck, dude! :bravo:

deeaa
October 2nd, 2009, 09:22 AM
I've always dreamed of something like that, but it's impossible at our place...we've got three stories and a horde of thresholds and floors at slightly different levels, interior doors etc, not to mention incredible amounts of clutter like my son's toys and guitars and RockBand drums and just plain furniture everywhere...so no way. But it'd be excellent since we have two cats and LOTS of hair/dustballs everywhere...but then again one of the cats ALWAYS finds socks no matter how we hide them...whenever we go out, upon return we find the crazy feline has again littered the house with socks she pulls out from drawers etc...so a roomba would be full of socks in no time...

I really should vacuum more often. We do house work, coking etc. pretty much 50/50 with the wife but I vacuum the lower two floors always...plus I always do all the repair work, and things that require power or reaching...etc...hm, I guess I could say I do most of the work at home, LOL :-) but then again, she usually works longer hours daily too.

deeaa
October 2nd, 2009, 09:27 AM
Speaking of crazy felines here's our licking-enthusiast cat some 3+ years ago...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GtUSqsAnvU

helliott
October 2nd, 2009, 10:23 AM
It's almost getting one of these guys to see it interact with our nutty cattledog. Is it a tonne of money?

Robert
October 2nd, 2009, 10:36 AM
The one we got is listed as $349.99 on iRobot.com but we got it for $229 at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896779026

We have the 560 model but the new 562 is better for pet owners, they say:

Designed especially for pet owners, the Roomba 562 features the latest Roomba innovations plus special features to help tackle hairy situations.

djmcconnell
October 2nd, 2009, 11:00 AM

Perhaps you could pick up this little device -- as depicted in an SNL parody commercial -- to make it up to her:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/70317/saturday-night-live-woomba

pes_laul
October 2nd, 2009, 04:56 PM
The bass player for my band has an older version of those things. They are pretty sweet though.

just strum
October 2nd, 2009, 05:53 PM
Sort of cool, but for me it would be just another place for my picks to go. Then again, at least with that I would know where to look.

Tynee
October 7th, 2009, 10:45 AM
You'll love it until it starts doing the circle dance, then the one they send you to replace it starts doing the circle dance, then the one they send you to replace the replacement starts doing the circle dance...

Also, I could never get the little booger to return to home base and charge like it was supposed to. Other than that, we loved all three of them...

Robert
October 7th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Ours works great so far. It returns to home base when it is done. Nice job, Roomba!

I love having my own robot. :)

Heywood Jablomie
October 7th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Does it stay in tune?

Robert
October 7th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Does it stay in tune?

Did you not know, it was secretly developed by Gibson? They took their ideas and made a guitar out of it in the end... :crazyguy
So yeah, it's self-tuning.

poodlesrule
October 7th, 2009, 03:19 PM
There are books for geeks about turning Roombas into all kinds of devices, I saw a copy once, and almost bought it for grins.

The controller is highly hackable, apparently.

Other: went to Guitar Center today to look at drum hardware (don't ask)... I had no idea that today's affordable keyboards were that good... Saw a couple of moms there, writing checks for their shredder sons, funny!