PDA

View Full Version : Studios Shut Down Guitar Lesson Websites

tremoloman
August 30th, 2006, 11:00 AM
It's official... the music industry has gone WAY too far!

Studios Shut Down Guitar Lesson Websites (http://www.dvd-recordable.org/Article2922.phtml)

Next thing you know Robert will be forced to take down his great music lessons from his homepage! I'm so happy the music industry is tanking... they deserve it with practices such as these. It's only a matter of time before artists decide to produce, market, and sell CDs themselves. Modern record companies actions are just unbelievable!

Mark
August 30th, 2006, 11:14 AM
This is a shining example of why when I do buy music I go to places like allofmp3.com. While they are legal by Russian law, have a great selection and VERY reasonable prices plus they tick Hollywood off. That alone puts a smile on my face. Sad part most of these Tab sites dont have the $$$ for the legal muscle to fight for themselves.

duhvoodooman
August 30th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Greedy jerks!! And they have the temerity to say they're protecting the songwriters?!?!?! C'mon, we all know the truth here--it's their piece of the pie they're looking to protect! And these sites don't even sell the tabs, so they're clearly not stealing revenue directly. Just ludicrous.... :mad:

Tone2TheBone
August 30th, 2006, 12:50 PM
I would like to see representatives of the professional music community speak up and tell us what they think. If it were me I'd be flattered that people want to learn my songs and would gladly show them. I'm hoping that guitarists/bassists in the industry feel the same.

SuperSwede
August 30th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Todays music industry is not about the music at all.. *thumbs down*

Tone2TheBone
August 30th, 2006, 01:06 PM

*shocked* You'd thumb down Steven Tyler? :eek:

t_ross33
August 30th, 2006, 01:09 PM
I would like to see representatives of the professional music community speak up and tell us what they think. If it were me I'd be flattered that people want to learn my songs and would gladly show them. I'm hoping that guitarists/bassists in the industry feel the same.
I would suspect that most artists would feel this way. MOST of them started playing and performing for the love of music and/or because they are driven to share their feelings, vision and talent through their art. Not many people decide to become professional musicians because it's a great money-making venture.

I'd be interested to see which came first, TAB notation available on the world wide web through bulletin boards and such, or music books published in TAB rather than standard notation. From what I can remember, TAB started out as a kind of shorthand for guitar teachers and wasn't widely available in published form until it became more popular.

Besides, most of us don't want to shell out for the music for an entire album when we only want to know how to play one or two songs off that album. Assuming we have a music or bookstore anywhere close to us that sells it in the first place (which I for one, don't).

I find it offensive that they claim to have the songwriter's interests in mind. CRAP! Total crap!

SCREW IT! I'll lock myself in my bedroom and figure it out on my own, just like in the good ol' days.

In the meantime, throw your support behind indie artists through sites like www.cdbaby.com (http://www.cdbaby.com). Screw the suits, man! :mad:

Tinky-Winky
August 30th, 2006, 01:20 PM
I think this is ridiculous. To be honest though, do you think they'd win the case if a website like Robert's challenged their interests?

SuperSwede
August 30th, 2006, 01:22 PM
*shocked* You'd thumb down Steven Tyler? :eek:

Ehrm... what?
I would never do THAT!

Tone2TheBone
August 30th, 2006, 01:32 PM

Perhaps we're misunderstanding our meaning of the term industry? I meant artists....ARTISTS. I don't mean white collared conservative business men trying to dress like us. :DR

SuperSwede
August 30th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Oh, I meant the men in suits...

duhvoodooman
August 30th, 2006, 01:40 PM
I don't know for how much longer, but UltimateGuitar.com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/) is still open for business. Grab the tabs of your favorite songs while you still can!

Tone2TheBone
August 30th, 2006, 01:43 PM
I msn'd a bunch of tab sites and I haven't run into any posts or warnings about it upon visiting them.....yet anyway.

tremoloman
August 31st, 2006, 10:45 AM
I would like to see representatives of the professional music community speak up and tell us what they think. If it were me I'd be flattered that people want to learn my songs and would gladly show them. I'm hoping that guitarists/bassists in the industry feel the same.That's exactly how I feel... imitation is the best form of flattery IMHO.

Robert
August 31st, 2006, 10:51 AM
I'm sure they don't like my video lessons of popular songs. I would not be surprised if I hear from them laywers...

Good thing I have lots of other videos too! (check out my brand new triads lesson!)

t_ross33
August 31st, 2006, 11:04 AM
I'm sure they don't like my video lessons of popular songs. I would not be surprised if I hear from them laywers...

Good thing I have lots of other videos too! (check out my brand new triads lesson!)

Luckily we are in Canuckistan, Robert. Copyright laws are interpretted somewhat differntly here, especially regarding what's considered "fair use". Here's hoping that's the case anyway and we can all continue to benefit from your considerable skill and wisdom. (Am I a big suck-up or what?).

Trev

abraxas
August 31st, 2006, 11:10 AM
I have an (obvious) suggestion.

Don't ever buy anything from those studios/artists that are so much against the free distribution of musical knowledge!

And let them somehow know you're not...

aeolian
August 31st, 2006, 01:36 PM
This really bugs me too. If you carry this argument to the extreme all guitar teachers should cease and desist because they are teaching their students where to put their fingers and what chords to use to play their favorite songs.

aeolian