PDA

View Full Version : Pedal changes

deeaa
October 3rd, 2009, 10:04 AM
I spent a good while playing my rig and I decided I'd accumulated too much pedals. They were already eating my sound and giving it some qualities I have been annoyed by.

So now I simplified; wah > comp > Marshall Jackhammer OD > pan pedal to two channels of the amp.

Pan pedal down it goes to #2 (cleanish channel) input and gives a 'basic' sound; almost clean or with jackhammer on basic rock sound, and with comp also on, metal sound.

And pushing the pan pedal to the floor gives a solo version of every sound; goes into #3 (second channel) input and has more drive and midrange.

What I eliminated is a BBE Maximiser - with less pedals I don't need it so much - and Tech-21 boost/verb. I don't need reverb either when the amp sounds so good...it basically just eats the sound after all to have any FX on it.

It seems like NOT a huge change but it sure is; now that the Jackhammer drives the amp tubes directly the annoying slight buzzy overtone is GONE and also the whole sound gets a total new transparency and kick without any extra noise either. MUCH better than driving 2 more SS gain stages after it.

I guess every now and then it's good to strip down to basics, and then you realize that's what you were always after in the first place...now I just gotta remember to stay away from any more FX.

birv2
October 3rd, 2009, 11:15 AM
Hey, aren't you they guy who schooled me on relying too much on pedals??
:thankyou

It was great advice, too!

deeaa
October 3rd, 2009, 11:26 AM
Hey, aren't you they guy who schooled me on relying too much on pedals??
:thankyou

It was great advice, too!

Yep, and still I seem to get lost in the candyland now and then myself.

Yep, it ain't about what pedal is the best - it's just best to keep it simple and when you have a pedal that works, just play the thing and don't keep adding and testing new ones :-)

pes_laul
October 3rd, 2009, 11:55 AM
Yep, and still I seem to get lost in the candyland now and then myself.

Yep, it ain't about what pedal is the best - it's just best to keep it simple and when you have a pedal that works, just play the thing and don't keep adding and testing new ones :-)
+1 Great advice :applause

hubberjub
October 3rd, 2009, 07:13 PM
I did the same thing. I've been gigging with a huge board (see pics in the pedal board thread) for the last two years. Last month I played my first gig with a new band and took only my guitar and my Soldano amp. It gave me less to hide behind but I got more compliments on my tone that night than ever before.

Kazz
October 4th, 2009, 06:31 AM
+1000 find a good pedal and play....and right now for me that pedal is the Jekyll and Hyde....one pedal....OD and Distortion in one.....and beit the clean boutique or even the 70s UK it just sounds great.