PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop Big Stubby Picks

pes_laul
October 3rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
I was at the music store today picking up some strings for one of my students guitars and I decided to experiment with some new picks.

One of the ones I decided to try out was a Dunlop Big stubby http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=24&pmh=products/picks

Being 2 mm in thickness is a pretty big jump from the green ones I use but after playing with it for a little bit I actually came to liking it. It was pretty easy to play once you got used to it and it gave the guitar a bit bigger sound and stuff. They're a bit pricy going for about 65 cents but I might pick up some more.

Worth trying out :applause

Spudman
October 3rd, 2009, 02:44 PM
I like the big stubby too. Good choice. It took me a long time to become brave (smart) enough to try a pick that thick and now I love it.

just strum
October 3rd, 2009, 02:58 PM
I have a lot of Big Stubby's in various thickness and they are my favorites.

ragnarpk
October 3rd, 2009, 03:58 PM
i dunno.... they're a little too thick if you ask me.. not good for soloing or the like, more for just straight strumming. i still prefer a nice .88 though

just strum
October 3rd, 2009, 04:15 PM
i dunno.... they're a little too thick if you ask me.. not good for soloing or the like, more for just straight strumming. i still prefer a nice .88 though

I usually hear people say they like thinner for strumming and thicker for soloing or lead guitar. Really doesn't matter, its whatever works for the individual.

Another one that I use off and on, Ice Pix

http://www.ice-pix.com/ice-pix_pages/icepix_willy_review.htm

I use the bottom one "The Pick That Stix". Lately I've been using the .58 (a departure from the Stubby's that I use of 1.0 to 3.0). I also have them in .81 and 1.12. I tend not to lose them since I can stick them to the pick guard or back of the guitar head. Actually they can be stuck anywhere on the guitar and I tend not to lose them.

peachhead
October 3rd, 2009, 09:50 PM
I've got a couple of sizes of Stubbys and I like them, but for some reason, no matter what pick I use, I always end up going back to fender mediums.

SuperSwede
October 4th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I love big stubbys, especially the 3.0 mm. :R

birv2
October 4th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I've used both the Big Stubbies and Fender Mediums a lot. However, I've been using the Dunlop Ultex for a few months now and really like them. I'm using the .73's and the 1.0's.

I read about them on some forum and they work well for me.

pes_laul
October 5th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Been playing with it more and it's starting to be my pick of choice.

Though I really wanna try one of Vinnie's V -picks but sadly I can't order stuff online. :nope

Hey Strum are those Ice pix sold at most music stores?

Tig
October 5th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I love 'em.
2.0 purple for solo, red for strumming.
Even though they are thick, the cross section is like a "V" (vs "ll" ) and therefore the angle of attack rolls of the end better than thinner picks that have parallel sides. All personal preference, of course.