PDA

View Full Version : Wah suggestions?

deeaa
October 5th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Hullo,

I sold off my Weeping Demon at a spur of the moment...I liked the wah OK but suddenly I think I want a throaty, wailing messy rock wah sound and the Weeper was more of Morley type; you know, too neat.

I've had quite a few nice wahs over the years but now I guess the only way to go is real Dunlop Crybaby. I always thought they had the only real lively rawk wah sound, but never got me one 'cause I wanted the auto-on system.

But no more. Now I'm getting me a normal GC..95? something, or maybe the 'Classic' with 'Fasel coils'.

Probably won't even consider other makes, but thought I'd ask if you know any similar classic wah pedals worth a try...or if you have any ideas which model is the way to go when you want the classic wide-sweeping and raw wah sound...I don't want neat swells but more like those well worn and almost wrong-working wahs would be the best. The more exaggerated and random the better.

Any suggestions?

Spudman
October 5th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I really like the old Thomas Organ wahs. They have some grit to them. But now that I have 8 different wahs in the M13 (also in the M9) I might ditch the Thomas because the pots will never get dirty in the M13. The only catch is that I think the throw on the Line 6 expression pedal is too long and I may at some time add a different expression pedal with a shorter throw.

Tig
October 5th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I A/B'ed several Dunlops, Vox's and Morleys, but none came close to the Budda BudWah pedal. It is manufactured by Dunlop, but I think it sounds so much better than their designs. Maybe the best thing about it other than the very vocal-like sound is that it lacks the all too common brittle, high end screetch that some wah's tend to have, even with an over driven tone. The bottom end isn't at all muddy, either. Pure bypass. No external adjustments (there is an internal pot).

I was looking for a more classic rock and funk sound and not a bad horsey or metal wah, and this was what sounded best to me. The sweep range is slightly less than other pedals, but I'm never disappointed with it. It costs a bit more, but well worth the difference, IMO. YMMV

Best bet would be to demo a few side by side, if possible, and see which one speaks to you.

Google video search on the Budwah (http://video.google.com/videosearch?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4GGLJ_enUS314US314&q=budda%20budwah&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wv#)

deeaa
October 5th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Yeah the Budda seems to sound VERY nice...I just worry maybe it's too nice too.

Like here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhQcCIDgacM

The sound isn't that good...but it gets these terrific squeals and insane rawks that I want to have...I want it to scream and screech when I really push it.

I dunno. I'll try a budda if they have one, though.

Thanks!

deeaa
October 6th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Just in case anyone's interested, I got the Vox wah. It seemed like a good basic wah and while it at least in a short test seemed it screamed pretty well it didn't have any annoying ultra-highs or glassiness.

Just tested it briefly with a H&K Statesman which I figured would be close to my amp being EL84 but it wasn't quite similar...so I'll know only when I've played it in training some.