PDA

View Full Version : Folded the band

Plank_Spanker
October 5th, 2009, 04:48 PM
It was a fun three year run, but my band has run its course. I folded it today. Numerous issues, some major, some minor.

I'm going to take a break, look within, and figure out where I want to take my music next. I know it's time for a change. I was getting moldy and stale the past several months.

This is strange new ground for me. I haven't been without a working band for eight years...........

Spudman
October 5th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Time to get a looper and do some solo gigs. Higher pay, no other musicians not showing up on time, getting drunk, breaking equipment, being emotionally unstable etc, total creative control. Mucho pluses. Best wishes with your new direction whatever it is.

Plank_Spanker
October 5th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks, Spud.

I really don't know where I'm going to go next right now. I know I'm burned out completely on what I've been playing - band wise and personally.

I think I'm going to put down the guitars for a bit and see if I can find my fire again.

sunvalleylaw
October 5th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Sorry to hear about the band, but you will find that fire again in no time I bet. Sounds like a change will do you good!

pes_laul
October 5th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Hmm you could always start a death metal band....that should get the creative juices flowing :p0

mrmudcat
October 5th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Take a break.............................then jump back in the saddle:goodjob

hubberjub
October 5th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Take the time to remember why you love to play the guitar.

deeaa
October 6th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Yep I know just what you mean.

1990 I sold off almost all my gear, half a PA and guitars, whatnot, only kept one mic, a small mixer and an acoustic. After less than a year I had joined a band as a singer again, bought another electric...then I was in about five bands, singer/guitarist, singer or bassist/guitarist until...

1998 quit all of my bands at once; sold off my amps and most of my gear, only basically kept my Les Paul and some odd pieces of gear. That time it took a little over a year to again start as a singer, develop into singer/guitarist AGAIN and so on. We were just about to land a record deal too when I quit.

Then in 2004 I quit again, again sold off the PA system I had collected again and most of my gear otherwise...but kept a couple of guitars and a bass. Quit all my then current bands too. One of them was getting a bit too popular anyway, so it was time to quit it before it would have ended up in a record deal or actually getting income from it.

2006 I started being more active, Internet bands etc...finally sold my Les Paul off as well as all my other guitars, and built/had built 3 electrics to my liking plus bought an acoustic again...ended up in a handful of bands once more.

2009 finds me quitting most of my bands for now, but this time not all, and I'm concentrating in one live band and one Internet project, doing other stuff only intermittenly...but more like amassing more gear than reducing :-)

It comes and goes...I seem to always quit when the band is actually starting to get somewhere.

It's a dilemma; I would love to have my music listened to by millions but I'd like to do it basically incognito...

Auriemma
October 6th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Take the time to remember why you love to play the guitar.
I agree with hubberjub. Play for the shear enjoyment of it... because you want too, not because you have too. Play for yourself.

Robert
October 6th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Sorry to hear the band folded... it has happened to me many times. Hang in there, work on some new things or take a break, and eventually things will come around.

Trailer Park Casanova
October 6th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Seems most bands get the Spinal Tap syndrome at some point.

Hate to see bands break up.

Plank_Spanker
October 6th, 2009, 01:43 PM
It's not a heart breaking thing for me. I've been doing the band thing for a long time and I know that bands come and go. It was a good run, but I'm ready to take a break. I'll give myself some time to figure out what I want to pursue next.

Spudman
October 6th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Now find a girl singer to build a band around and start making some serious money for your effort.

Plank_Spanker
October 7th, 2009, 05:22 PM
That is a tempting proposal..........................but every band I've been in fronted by a chick turned into a nightmare soap opera right when we needed to be at our best - some of the singers got the diva "I'm in charge of this band and it's MINE" syndrome. In one other, it was "who's banging the singer this week and attempting to call the shots".

No offense to chick singers out there - I LOVE to hear a chick belt out some rock and roll........................but experience has shown me the downside.

sunvalleylaw
October 7th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Were I not a married man, here is a female lead that looks fun to hang out with:

kSLOoJqv2X8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSLOoJqv2X8&feature=related

Spudman
October 7th, 2009, 08:33 PM
That is a tempting proposal..........................but every band I've been in fronted by a chick turned into a nightmare soap opera right when we needed to be at our best -

You just need to be up front and remind them that this is yours and if they want to play then they have to follow the rules.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Junk/castle1.jpg

deeaa
October 7th, 2009, 10:57 PM
That is a tempting proposal..........................but every band I've been in fronted by a chick turned into a nightmare soap opera right when we needed to be at our best - some of the singers got the diva "I'm in charge of this band and it's MINE" syndrome. In one other, it was "who's banging the singer this week and attempting to call the shots".

No offense to chick singers out there - I LOVE to hear a chick belt out some rock and roll........................but experience has shown me the downside.

Me too, there's never gonna be room for a girl in any of my bands any more. It's a good way to screw up band dynamics and cause problems. When guys play rock and drink hard and party with it, a girl in the band can only cause a mess.

Plank_Spanker
October 9th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Me too, there's never gonna be room for a girl in any of my bands any more. It's a good way to screw up band dynamics and cause problems. When guys play rock and drink hard and party with it, a girl in the band can only cause a mess.

My hard partying and drinking days are behind me - the hangovers REALLY hurt these days.................

With a chick singer, there was always some form of emotional nonsense to wade through at practice and gigs. That, and there was always some guy in the band fawning over her. It would be very different to play as a hired gun in a band owned by a chick who knew what she wanted, where she wants to go, and has the no BS drive to take here there. I would just play what she wanted me to and be happy. I just don't want to deal with pretty young thing wannabes that have no idea of the commitment and work it takes to keep a band working.

It sounds like I'm dancing on the edge of coming across like a misogynist, but I'm definitely not one. I would love to be in a band with a no BS chick singer who can belt it out and work on an even field with the boys in the band. If the band is on par with her, it's a guaranteed draw and word would travel fast.

Hell.........................I still might try it.:crazyguy

Spudman
October 9th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Man Planky, you'd never make it as a Hollywood producer. What about the casting couch. That's rock and roll baby!:dude

I've worked with a couple of ladies now and while I do prefer an all male revue all these gals were one of the boys so there were no issues. They pulled their weight. But I can understand where you are coming from.

Check the regional studios and ask who is doing demos and then contact the artists to see if they can use your services either in the studio or for live playing. Hired gun to the rescue.:agree

Plank_Spanker
October 9th, 2009, 04:54 PM
The other guitar player, bass player, and I are going to meet next week to discuss future projects.

Everything is open to discussion.....................