PDA

View Full Version : Jet City - A Soldano for the rest of us?

FrankenFretter
October 6th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Not all of us can afford a SLO100, but there's hope: Jet City Amplification. Nothing posted yet as to MSRP or dealer locations, but you can get the skinny here (http://www.sonicstate.com/amped/2009/10/06/new-range-of-amps-designed-by-soldano/) and here (http://www.jetcityamplification.com/).

There's a few YouTube videos, but they're frighteningly short. They are Soldano designed, though. They're HQ is on Novelty Hill Road in Redmond, Washington. I used to mountain bike in the watershed there. Not that that makes any difference...just sayin'. :offtopic

-Sean

Robert
October 6th, 2009, 02:15 PM
What about the Bugera amps, don't they get close to that Soldano tone for cheap?

tunghaichuan
October 6th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Anyone looking to get budget Soldano tone should look into the Yamaha T50 and T100 series amps. These were designed by Soldano, built by Dennis Kager of Sundown amps, and sold by Yamaha. They had 2 or 4 6L6GC tubes depending on the wattage rating and 7 12AX7 preamp tubes.

I owned a T50 head, and it was a killer amp. Like Soldano amps, the clean was okay, not bad but not great. The OD could be maxed out for endless sustain at any volume level. Or with the gain backed off and the master up fairly loud, the amp was totally different: nice crunch. They had spring reverb and an FX loop. One cool feature was a post OT line out, which was a tap on the output transformer. This allowed a DI signal out which captured the tonal character of the amp. Most line out circuits are just preamp out, which do not have the character of the power amp.

Killer amp, wish I'd never let mine go :(

marnold
October 6th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Actually that first link says $299 for the 20W! If it really can do a reasonable SLO imitation, that would be too awesome for words. Here's the direct link to the JCA-20H (http://www.jetcityamplification.com/amplifiers/jca-20h/) on the Jet City site. Oooh! There's a combo version too (http://www.jetcityamplification.com/amplifiers/jca2112rc/)!

mrmudcat
October 6th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I like the looks:dude

marnold
October 6th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I hope they post some better/longer clips on the YouTubes. The ones I've heard haven't been a whole lot to write home about.

markb
October 6th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Hmm, "designed in Seattle". I wonder where they're made?

marnold
October 6th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Hmm, "designed in Seattle". I wonder where they're made?
At $299 for the head, methinks somewhere slightly west of Seattle.

FrankenFretter
October 7th, 2009, 07:00 AM
At $299 for the head, methinks somewhere slightly west of Seattle.

Yeah, Marnold, I think you're right about them being made WAY west of Seattle. I'm pretty sure they're made overseas. Designed in the US, yes, but I doubt they're made here. I wonder if the Chinese value "Made in China" stuff the way that we covet "Made in USA"?

FrankenFretter
October 16th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I've asked Douglas White of Jet City to join our forum, so that we can ask questions directly. I'm sure he keeps fairly busy, but he did say he would be joining soon. I'm looking forward to hearing more about this line of amps. They look promising.

-S

marnold
October 16th, 2009, 08:42 AM
FWIW, Sam Ash has the combo for $499 (http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_JCA2112RC 20w Guitar Combo Amp_-1_10052_10002_-49954064). MSRP is $699.

My only concern with the 20W versions is that there aren't enough pre-amp stages to really pull off an SLO100 imitation. But, as they say, the proof is in the listening and I haven't heard a true high-gain clip of this amph in action yet.

Jet City
October 17th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Good afternoon, Gents!
Sean - thanks for inviting me to join here, I appreciate the opportunity to have a voice.
Probably a lot more needs to be said, but I have two quick things to throw out there real quick:
Yes, we make the amps in China, where I am right now (Sunday morning) supervising production. We have a great factory and I am very happy with how it's going here. I have personally brought several guitar and bass amps into production in Asian factories over the years and know how to do it right.
Regarding the JCA20H and comparisons to the SLO100 - I think there may be some misconceptions... Marnold has it right: there's no way a 20 watt amp is going to represent the tone of an SLO100. Of course there is A LOT more to it than I could write in one post, but let me just say, both our JCA20H and our JCA100H we personally designed by Mike Soldano, with his own hands and ears (various other body parts too). JCA20H sounds very "Soldano" and probably has more gain than most amps in it's class, but it isn't based on the SLO100 at all.
JCA100H has two channels, and the OVERDRIVE channel indeed has the now-famous-often-modelled-and-copied SOLDANO overdrive circuit which is also found in the SLO100. But! that doesn't make this amp an SLO100 either... there are many things which go into that amp which are beyond the scope of a single post.
But I can say with complete satisfaction that both amps (plus our combo and other stuff we are working on) sound VERY Soldano, because they ARE. And if you're looking for the signature SLO100 overdrive sound, the JCA100H delivers a pretty d@mn good version of it.
Please fire away any questions and be patient with me cos I'm a noob at forums and I'm also travelling a lot.
Best, D.

marnold
October 18th, 2009, 12:07 PM
First of all, thanks for joining The Fret! It's always nice to be able to talk to manufacturers first-hand.

I guess I'll ask the obvious question. Besides the fact that the 20W head/combo have been designed by Mike Soldano, what sets it apart from the myriad of low-wattage tube amps on the market these days. If it were "it sounds like an SLO100," there would be your selling point, although you say that's not it at all. I'm not saying that there is no difference, there's just not a lot of info out there right now as to what those differences are.

I'd also like to hear a bit about the transformers you use in these, because that is often where low-price tube amps fall down.

I'd really like to hear a clip of one with the gain dimed using some humbucker-equipped guitar.

Jet City
October 19th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Hi again. What makes us unique?
There are a couple of tube heads for a bit less money than ours, but they're in the 5watt range and typically have only a single preamp tube and single power tube.
There are several heads at 15watts or 20watts, which are at least $50 more than us, but typically $200 or more higher than us.
So what out there offers 20 watts, 3 12ax7 and 2 EL 84 at only $299? As far as I know, no amp other than ours.
And although it isn't a "mini SLO", it IS a Soldano-sounding amp. Mike's designs are very direct and simple - JCA20H has no "pedals" in the preamp, no dsp, no 1/2 power switch (see PicoValve), etc etc - this is pure, distilled Soldano tube tone - and you'll know it when you hear it. Pretty much everyone who has heard it so far has uttered the f-word. (ha ha - cracked myself up, I need to remember that for some marketing texts).
Speaking of, yeah, I know our clips on YouTube are a bit anemic. That was the first time we ever recorded our stuff and we were a bit hasty. We'll get some better stuff done soon. But you also might check in on the Tone King's channel on YouTube - he has a JCA20H now and is ramping up to get some tones out there.
Transformers - VERY important! We started with a Soldano Atomic 16 and the goal of making a highly similar transformer to the American-made trannys in the Atomic. I personally worked with the transformer maker and through both critical listening and Audio-Precision measurements, revised the design probably 4 or 5 times. THEN Soldano himself compared it to his original tranny and even though he was happy with what I had done, made a couple more improvements and then signed off on the final version. So we spent some important time on the trans and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. Hopefully, you will be too.
Oh, and I'm working on painting the covers blue cos that's my new favorite color.
D.

Perfect Stranger
October 19th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Here are some pix of them....

http://i37.tinypic.com/2qu7vgj.jpg http://i38.tinypic.com/1y0gig.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/6zmyrd.jpg http://i38.tinypic.com/v7uq11.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/335e5uw.jpg http://i34.tinypic.com/16kuon7.jpg

Tig
October 19th, 2009, 08:09 AM
TheToneKing's preview (not a complete review) of the JCA20H 20 watt head. For better sound quality, go to YouTube and select the HD version.

6_PsQlbdYZU

I think I'd opt for the 20 watt combo to get the tube driven reverb.

marnold
October 19th, 2009, 09:57 AM
TheToneKing's preview (not a complete review) of the JCA20H 20 watt head. For better sound quality, go to YouTube and select the HD version.
Certainly a healthy amount of gain there, although I probably wouldn't have dimed the bass like he did. Different strokes.

I think I'd opt for the 20 watt combo to get the tube driven reverb.
I saw that too, although it understandably adds to the price. Still, I can't think of too many small tube combos these days that even come with reverb, much less of the tube-driven variety. I'd really like to hear some pure clean and/or bluesy grit clips with the reverby goodness.

Regardless, I may have to start saving some shekels.

Jet City
October 19th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I'd really like to hear some pure clean and/or bluesy grit clips with the reverby goodness.

Marnold, did you hear our clip on YouTube? The 2nd one has verb from the 2112RC. Search Jet City Amplification to find our channel.

D.

marnold
October 19th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Marnold, did you hear our clip on YouTube? The 2nd one has verb from the 2112RC. Search Jet City Amplification to find our channel.
Yep, I had already watched it. I subscribed to your channel when this thread started using my YouTube username "revmra." I thought your previous description of your YouTube vid hit it on the head. ToneKing's preview did a good job of showing off the high-gain end, though.

I guess that does beg another question: given the extra expense and complexity, why did you decide to go with a tube-driven reverb instead of solid state?

Also since I'm asking questions, if a person would get one and it would need repair, is the warranty return-only or will a tech be provided with a schematic to be able to fix it? I think this would especially be helpful once the warranty is over. I ask this too because according to your website, the only dealer near me would be the GuitarCenter 50 miles away. I'm not sure I'd trust those guys to chew gum and walk at the same time, especially after how they tried to "set up" my Floyd Rose :)

By the by, I hope my questions aren't coming off as negative or snarky. They aren't intended to be. I ask because I'm interested. I have been looking at small tube amps like this. The name Soldano definitely gets the attention of us aging 80s headbangers. I know the guy with me in my avatar used to play a SLO, among others, in the 80s. As a matter of fact, I think he still does. I liked the looks/features of a Soldano 44, but 50W is overkill for me and it's out of my price range by a mile too.

Matt

Radioboy950
October 20th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Well, very interesting line here.
When I look at gear, I look for price point, quality, tonal possibilities and gain structure...and something a little different.
At first glance, these amps seem to have it all. I'll wait to hear some more demos and swing by GC whenever they get one to try it out.
In Tone King's "sneak peek", I'm starting to like the way it's being dialed in at (:40), with gain at 9 o'clock.
For me, I would have no need to dime the thing.
I'd also like to know if it can do some blues/classic crunchy stuff by rolling back amp gain and/or guitar vol.
One (off topic) comment : I can't stand that fretboard on TK's guitar.

Jet City
October 21st, 2009, 09:03 AM
I guess that does beg another question: given the extra expense and complexity, why did you decide to go with a tube-driven reverb instead of solid state?

Also since I'm asking questions, if a person would get one and it would need repair, is the warranty return-only or will a tech be provided with a schematic to be able to fix it? I think this would especially be helpful once the warranty is over. I ask this too because according to your website, the only dealer near me would be the GuitarCenter 50 miles away. I'm not sure I'd trust those guys to chew gum and walk at the same time, especially after how they tried to "set up" my Floyd Rose :)

I liked the looks/features of a Soldano 44, but 50W is overkill for me and it's out of my price range by a mile too.

Matt
Hi Matt - not at all Snarky - I'm enjoying the feedback! A few answers here:
Tube driven reverb (and effects loop on 100H and future product) were decisions the Soldano made. He and I have formed a great yin/yang (pun intended) of balancing what CAN we do and what can we fit into our price targets. Mike already had the design for the reverb circuit (Astroverb) ready to go so complexity wasn't a consideration, all I had to do was fit it into our cost. Street price of 2112 is $499. Maybe I could have squeezed him into $449 by cutting a few corners/features, but, when I look at what else is available out there $499 and the feature set seem a strong value. Quick side note - all our rectifiers are solid-state. That's a decision we made for sound, and reliability/tube life, not a cost consideration.

Service and distribution aren't my bailiwick directly, but, I can tell you this: we're just getting started on our dealer base, so if you check the website occassionally you will see it growing. And yes, we DO have service centers lined up and parts on the way to them so we will be field-serviceable. That being said, at $299 street for JCA20H you can imagine we are considering if that particular product should be a simple direct-replacement model. I don't know yet... while I don't manage service, I DO manage the $$, so...

Regarding 20 watt / 50 watts / head versus combos / channels, I do have some comments and also questions for YOU and anyone else who is interested in participating, but that's probably better offline stuff. Anyone who wants to get into influencing our product decisions (COOL stuff coming) please feel free to send me a private message here or at doug@jetcityamplification.com - where I read and reply to EVERYTHING (at least for now!).

Thanks again for the opportunity here guys! D.

Jet City
October 21st, 2009, 09:10 AM
Well, very interesting line here.
When I look at gear, I look for price point, quality, tonal possibilities and gain structure...and something a little different.
At first glance, these amps seem to have it all. I'll wait to hear some more demos and swing by GC whenever they get one to try it out.
In Tone King's "sneak peek", I'm starting to like the way it's being dialed in at (:40), with gain at 9 o'clock.
For me, I would have no need to dime the thing.
I'd also like to know if it can do some blues/classic crunchy stuff by rolling back amp gain and/or guitar vol.
One (off topic) comment : I can't stand that fretboard on TK's guitar.
Hi Radio - thanks for the note, I just want to comment real quick. As a player, and in my musical listening taste, I'm a preamp-full-open-overdrive guy. But I have to say, spending so much time with a 20 watt amp, I am REALLY digging the tone with the master opened up and the gain dialed back (both for tone and volume sake, have yet to play our 20 watters with a drummer which I MUST do soon). I admit, I am not a great player, just a competetent 2nd guitarist with good tone, and to me, riding my ES335 volume control through our 2112 with the master open is just pure clean tone fun (oops talking like a marketing weasil).
AND - I like Louis's fretboard!

hubberjub
October 21st, 2009, 11:05 AM
Hi Radio - thanks for the note, I just want to comment real quick. As a player, and in my musical listening taste, I'm a preamp-full-open-overdrive guy. But I have to say, spending so much time with a 20 watt amp, I am REALLY digging the tone with the master opened up and the gain dialed back (both for tone and volume sake, have yet to play our 20 watters with a drummer which I MUST do soon). I admit, I am not a great player, just a competetent 2nd guitarist with good tone, and to me, riding my ES335 volume control through our 2112 with the master open is just pure clean tone fun (oops talking like a marketing weasil).
AND - I like Louis's fretboard!

That's how I run my Astroverb. Crank the master and adjust my volume with the gain control. If your amp is a similar circuit to mine that will make for a great value. I love my Soldano even though it is the cheapest model available. My Boogie has been collecting dust ever since I picked this amp up. Good luck.

marnold
October 21st, 2009, 11:20 AM
That's how I run my Astroverb. Crank the master and adjust my volume with the gain control. If your amp is a similar circuit to mine that will make for a great value. I love my Soldano even though it is the cheapest model available. My Boogie has been collecting dust ever since I picked this amp up. Good luck.
I didn't know you had an Astroverb! I guess I'm going to have to start reading people's sigs more closely :)

NWBasser
October 21st, 2009, 05:23 PM
I've got a simple question here.

Can I go to your Redmond HQ and try one out?

I live just up the road in Kirkland!

Jet City
October 22nd, 2009, 12:34 AM
@ Hubba - yeah, and 20H and 2112 are both based upon the Astroverb circuit but are slightly different. 20H has more gain cos he's just a head without verb, so we could crank him up. 2112 we slightly backed off the gain cos the higher gain with reverb just isn't as desireable. Plus, the 2 extra tubes in the circiut for the reverb itself do change the signal path a little bit. Not sure I can hear it, but it is on the scope. And of course he has an open back.

@ NWBasser - actually, our office is now too small and not so "ready for prime time", but, you could meet me at Soldano's place if we make an appointment cos I don't go there every day. He's in Ballard.

@nthony
October 22nd, 2009, 03:56 AM
Any plans for these to come over to the UK?

Jet City
October 22nd, 2009, 11:33 AM
Any plans for these to come over to the UK?
Absolutely. My Partner in sales is working on that right now...

@nthony
October 23rd, 2009, 01:45 AM
Absolutely. My Partner in sales is working on that right now...

Great news! Thank you!

marnold
October 30th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Here Tone King's full review:
XwebyR8TDck

Sounds like his mic is clipping or something anyway, but you get the point.

He's supposed to have a live streaming thing tonight (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/the-tone-king-live) and talk about these amphs at midnight Eastern (GMT-5).

marnold
November 4th, 2009, 11:35 AM
They posted some gut shots of the 100W head on the Facebooks. I think this is the direct link (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=123784&id=101733997528&ref=mf). I'd be interested if Tung, DVM, jim p, or some of you other amph/electronics gurus could take a look and tell me what you think from a design standpoint.

tunghaichuan
November 4th, 2009, 04:01 PM
They posted some gut shots of the 100W head on the Facebooks. I think this is the direct link (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=123784&id=101733997528&ref=mf). I'd be interested if Tung, DVM, jim p, or some of you other amph/electronics gurus could take a look and tell me what you think from a design standpoint.

The main PCB looks to be hight quality. The transformers are nice and beefy. They don't have the "cheap Chinese" look to them. There aren't any surface mount devices (SMDs) which is good. It looks like there is a lot of filtering in the power supply, which contributes to the tight Soldano sound.

The one thing that gives me pause is the PCB-mount power tube sockets. A Soldano SLO has chassis-mount sockets with flying leads going to the PCB. Ideally, that is the way you want to do it. However, the SLO is $3K+. To be fair though, Mesa/Boogie has been building with PCB-mount power tube sockets for years with no problems. Since the chassis sits in the bottom of the head cab and the tubes point up, heat is directed away from the PCB, which is what you want.

To contrast, the Valve Junior's chassis is mounted with the chassis in the top of the cab with the power tube haning down. It is also a Class A circuit which generates more heat than a Class AB circuit like the Jet City amp in the Facebook photos. The VJ illustrates the way an amp shouldn't be. I own, four of them and have never had a problem with them.

There are also PCB-mount pots, and they look kind of small. Again, ideally you want the pots chassis mounted with flying leads going to the PCB.

With Chinese manufacturing, they can build to any level required. But from what I understand, it is important to have a QC guy working for the Amp company but actually in China to ride heard on the Chinese manufacturing facility. Of course, the better the QC, the more it costs to make and the more the product ultimately costs in the North American and European market. It's a fine line between marketing an affordable product and manufacturing it so that it is of sufficient quality. There have to be tradeoffs somewhere.

The Jet City amp looks like a fine, well made amp for its price point. If I were in the market for such an amp, I would definitely check it out.

HTH.

Radioboy950
November 4th, 2009, 08:14 PM
The main PCB looks to be hight quality. The transformers are nice and beefy. They don't have the "cheap Chinese" look to them. There aren't any surface mount devices (SMDs) which is good. It looks like there is a lot of filtering in the power supply, which contributes to the tight Soldano sound.

The one thing that gives me pause is the PCB-mount power tube sockets. A Soldano SLO has chassis-mount sockets with flying leads going to the PCB. Ideally, that is the way you want to do it. However, the SLO is $3K+. To be fair though, Mesa/Boogie has been building with PCB-mount power tube sockets for years with no problems. Since the chassis sits in the bottom of the head cab and the tubes point up, heat is directed away from the PCB, which is what you want.

To contrast, the Valve Junior's chassis is mounted with the chassis in the top of the cab with the power tube haning down. It is also a Class A circuit which generates more heat than a Class AB circuit like the Jet City amp in the Facebook photos. The VJ illustrates the way an amp shouldn't be. I own, four of them and have never had a problem with them.

There are also PCB-mount pots, and they look kind of small. Again, ideally you want the pots chassis mounted with flying leads going to the PCB.

With Chinese manufacturing, they can build to any level required. But from what I understand, it is important to have a QC guy working for the Amp company but actually in China to ride heard on the Chinese manufacturing facility. Of course, the better the QC, the more it costs to make and the more the product ultimately costs in the North American and European market. It's a fine line between marketing an affordable product and manufacturing it so that it is of sufficient quality. There have to be tradeoffs somewhere.

The Jet City amp looks like a fine, well made amp for its price point. If I were in the market for such an amp, I would definitely check it out.

HTH.

Dang, Tung. You sound like you know what you're talking about :poke
Seriously, thanks for your observations here, as I too am going to give this amph a serious look, especially at this price.
I still haven't found any good demo vids yet.
The ToneKing means well, but most of his demos don't sound that great.

marnold
November 4th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Dang, Tung. You sound like you know what you're talking about :poke
That's why I asked :) I don't even begin to know what to look for.

Seriously, thanks for your observations here, as I too am going to give this amph a serious look, especially at this price.
I still haven't found any good demo vids yet.
The ToneKing means well, but most of his demos don't sound that great.
I hear you. I'd like to grab my DK2M and take one for a spin. Probably not the 100W version, though :)

marnold
November 4th, 2009, 09:00 PM
To be fair though, Mesa/Boogie has been building with PCB-mount power tube sockets for years with no problems. Since the chassis sits in the bottom of the head cab and the tubes point up, heat is directed away from the PCB, which is what you want.

Isn't that going to be the case with pretty much any tube combo though? All of them that I've seen have the tubes upside down (except for a very early Gibson I saw in PG that had the amp itself on the bottom of the combo.

tunghaichuan
November 4th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Isn't that going to be the case with pretty much any tube combo though? All of them that I've seen have the tubes upside down (except for a very early Gibson I saw in PG that had the amp itself on the bottom of the combo.

It's more of a problem with PCB mount power tube sockets than chassis-mount sockets. The heat rises and can cause problems. That is why PCB mount sockets are not ideal for combo construction. But, like I said, Mesa/Boogie has been getting away with it for years. OTOH, Boogies are handbuilt in the USA and carry a pricetag to reflect that.

One other observation: for a complex, high gain circuit, PCB construction is better from a manufacturing standpoint. Once they get the layout right, the amp can be quieter and less prone to noise than point to point or eyelet/tagboard construction. With a well thought out PCB layout, the results are repeatable. Especially with a super high gain circuit a la Soldano.

oldguy
November 12th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Okay, so I've been checking Jet City Amps website for dealers near me, as Doug suggested. I find two Guitar Center locations not far from where I'm working/staying, in Kansas City. One had a JCA 20H on order, and it was slated to be in Tues. or today. They took my name and cell number, and said they'd call. (The other GC said....uh......not real sure right now.......... that sure was a clue later, but at the time I thought nothing of it.)
Well, I call this morning and a lady says, "yes, it came in yesterday"......so I'm headed that way instantly, as I had the day off today. Half hour later I'm there, 15 min. before the doors open. Apparently they answer phones @10:00 a.m. but open the doors at 11:00 The doors are unlocked around 10:55, I go in, I'm greeted at the desk, "May I help you?"......
I explain that I called last week about the Jet City JCA 20H........ "the what?"
Oh, no..... so I repeat myself........they look it up. "Oh, yeah, looks like that came in yesterday." HOORAY!...........well, not so fast................. "I don't think that's for sale until Friday......" WHAT???????
"Let me go check, sir, I'll be right back."

Then the manager comes out and asks how I found out this amp was coming to the store............. "Uh , I called last week and a salesman told me."
"What salesman?".......... "I don't remember his name, why?"
The manager tells a salesman to bring the amph out for me to see, and play if I want. Then he turns to me and says "I may get myself into hot water if I sell you that amp."

WTF's goin' on here?

Long story short.......... they break the amp out, open it, connect it to the ext. cab, I jam on it for 'bout half an hour while the manager's making phone calls. I'm LOVING the sound of the amp, LOTS of timbre, woody, full tones, and plenty of even order harmonics going on w/ a Les Paul. Doug and the crew have a winner here, methinks. The controls were tight, the shafts turned smoothly, build quality seemed great.

It all goes south........:what

The Guitar Center manager makes phone calls, people were talking to one another, I'm wondering........wtf?.........I just wanna buy an amph, how hard can it be.........
What NO_ONE told me (until I spoke w/ the manager, and prob'ly 'cause they didn't know) was GC only had one on order, and it is their BLACK FRIDAY promo unit which goes on sale the day after Thanksgiving. First come, first serve, no early sales. I got to play the JCA 20H, and I love the little critter................but I couldn't buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I got lots of apologies, "maybe you can be here Friday morning after Thanksgiving bright and early, if you're the first one to ask, it's yours when we open that morning." "Really sorry we can't sell it early, it'd make the other customers who want one mad if we sold it before we're allowed to."
"My manager called his boss, and he called someone, and they said no, it can't be sold early."
They did try to sell me in a nice Egnater, but my interest was waning, and I said no. I really was hoping for the JCA20H the day after my birthday, a nice present from myself to me....... sob, sob, sob. (insert sarcasm smilie here)
So I told Justin, Jason, and the rest no problem, and left.
I'm pretty sure someone let the cat out of the bag unwittingly about the amp arriving there, I don't remember the name (wouldn't want to if it gets somebody in trouble anyway), but I'm betting GC's everywhere will each get one amph, put it in their Black Friday ad, and when it's gone, it's gone.

I think Jet City has a winner on their hands with this amp, I guess I just won't be owning one anytime soon. A lot of people would probably drive 2 hours (I'll be home for Thanksgiving, not at the camper in K.C. so it's a much further drive), wait for the doors to open, and try to beat the rush, but not me. The nice folks there at GC also told me they've had lots of inquiries about Jet City Amps, so I'd bet there will be a few there for the big sale that Fri. morning.

Bottom line.
This 20w head sounds great! Mike Soldano's design, and Doug and Jet City's execution rock on this baby. I loved getting to jam on it! I hope the production steps up, or the dealers increase in our area, or the dealers that exist order more than 1 at a time (and will sell 'em to people), or whatever it takes.
Maybe Doug will chime in here with some advice for me.
Fretter's opinion's welcome, as always. (please, no GC or Jet City bashing, tho. It was, methinks, an honest mistake...... I just wanna get one of these little amps).

Tig
November 12th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Wow, very interesting story and situation. Bad news for anyone wanting one right away, but I'd bet they will become more available over the next few months.

What's encouraging is how it sounded and played for you. I wonder if it will be the next best bang for the buck amp? :drool

//If that Egnater happened to be their Renegade 65/18, well, it sure costs bunches more, but that is one sweet amp.

FrankenFretter
November 12th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I'm LOVING the sound of the amp, LOTS of timbre, woody, full tones, and plenty of even order harmonics going on w/ a Les Paul. Doug and the crew have a winner here, methinks. The controls were tight, the shafts turned smoothly, build quality seemed great.

Bottom line.
This 20w head sounds great! Mike Soldano's design, and Doug and Jet City's execution rock on this baby. I loved getting to jam on it! I hope the production steps up, or the dealers increase in our area, or the dealers that exist order more than 1 at a time (and will sell 'em to people), or whatever it takes.

Wow, OG. It's really nice to actually have one of us Fretters test out the real thing. Sounds VERY promising. Like I need another amph...but then again, Christmas is coming up, and then my birthday, and tax returns...Mmmm, tax refund money... :drool:

-Sean

oldguy
November 13th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Wow, very interesting story and situation. Bad news for anyone wanting one right away, but I'd bet they will become more available over the next few months.

What's encouraging is how it sounded and played for you. I wonder if it will be the next best bang for the buck amp? :drool

//If that Egnater happened to be their Renegade 65/18, well, it sure costs bunches more, but that is one sweet amp.

I'd agree w/ you, Tig, that they will become more available, and hopefully soon. I wonder whether the dealers can't get them, or only want one at a time to feel them out, but whatever the case they are n-i-c-e. At least the one I played was.
I surely would have bought it on the spot if circumstances had been different. The JCA20H has some decent clean headroom, but I REALLY loved it w/ the gain dialed up to where it got nice crunch when I dug into the strings w/ the guitar volume @ 8-10.
As for the Egnater, they have the reputation of being fine amphs, and I know Vood loves his, but I was focused on the Jet City at the time. I could have taken one for a spin, but, eh, maybe some other time.

marnold
November 13th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Glad to hear someone has had some hands-on experience. That really says something when you say you wanted to walk out of the door with it right away. I don't suppose you had an opportunity to dime the gain :)

oldguy
November 13th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Glad to hear someone has had some hands-on experience. That really says something when you say you wanted to walk out of the door with it right away. I don't suppose you had an opportunity to dime the gain :)

Yes, I did crank the gain full up, Matt. I was on the bridge p/u of a Les Paul Standard I pulled off the wall. The sound was beautiful, high gain, Soldano inspired bliss. I'm serious. And the cab was matched incredibly well to the head. The sound thumped me chest nicely, and the harmonics and feedback were right there on tap, and easy to control w/ picking attack and guitar volume. I will say this......... TTK's videos are nice, but I think if you hear/play one in person it's much more than can be captured on video.

marnold
November 13th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Yes, I did crank the gain full up, Matt. I was on the bridge p/u of a Les Paul Standard I pulled off the wall. The sound was beautiful, high gain, Soldano inspired bliss. I'm serious. And the cab was matched incredibly well to the head. The sound thumped me chest nicely, and the harmonics and feedback were right there on tap, and easy to control w/ picking attack and guitar volume. I will say this......... TTK's videos are nice, but I think if you hear/play one in person it's much more than can be captured on video.
Thanks for the info. That's what I was hoping to hear. Once they start getting them in better quantity at GC, I'm going to have to check one out. And start saving in the meantime . . .

mrmudcat
November 13th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I will try one of these if I ever get my medical set straight:thwap

Radioboy950
November 13th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Limited demos until more of these amps are in circulation...but I found one that sounds pretty good. I like the crunch AND the cleans

GM5UPVsrH18

FrankenFretter
November 13th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Limited demos until more of these amps are in circulation...but I found one that sounds pretty good. I like the crunch AND the cleans

Nice. Guy must be a Thin Lizzy fan. Very tasty.

marnold
November 14th, 2009, 09:10 AM
That's one of the better sounding/recorded demos I've heard.

bcdon
November 17th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Is the JCA100H (http://www.jetcityamplification.com/amplifiers/jca100h/) the only Jet City amp that has an effects loop? Are they shipping? MSRP?

Cheers.

marnold
November 17th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Is the JCA100H (http://www.jetcityamplification.com/amplifiers/jca100h/) the only Jet City amp that has an effects loop? Are they shipping? MSRP?
Neither the 20W combo or head have an effects loop. From what I've read, the 20W head is going to $299 and the combo is $499. AFAIK the only difference between the two is that the combo has a tube-driven reverb tank. I also read on another forum where Doug (aka Jet City) said that the combo had slightly less gain on tap. Not sure if that was the case with the shipping model though. According to their Facebook page, both amphs have been produced in quantity and are starting to get out into the distribution network.

marnold
December 2nd, 2009, 01:27 PM
Jet City stuff has hit Guitar Center officially. The 20W head is $299, combo is $499, 1x12 cab is $199. They even have a 2x12 cab for $299 and a 4x12 for $499.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?internal=1&src=jet+city&Search.x=0&Search.y=0&Search=Go

oldguy
December 2nd, 2009, 01:52 PM
Got mine Sunday. Some stores have them in (limited numbers) stock.
Most stores will order for you, or have one or more on the way. I was told @ GC this was a limited run to see how well they move.......don't know if that's fact or urban legend, tho.

marnold
December 2nd, 2009, 03:07 PM
Got mine Sunday. Some stores have them in (limited numbers) stock.
Most stores will order for you, or have one or more on the way. I was told @ GC this was a limited run to see how well they move.......don't know if that's fact or urban legend, tho.
Ahem

*clears throat*

Clips!

Ch0jin
December 2nd, 2009, 03:43 PM
I have to say thats the first time in a long time I've seen a demo of a tube amp over a couple of watts that sounded killer at bedroom levels with no attenuation and no pedals. Hats off to the Jet City guys I'd say.

oldguy
December 2nd, 2009, 03:51 PM
Ahem

*clears throat*

Clips!
I'll try and get a clip posted, Matt, but.........
First things first..........
(notice the gain setting.........:happy )

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_1154b16dfff789c5.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1388)http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_1154b16dfffa3207.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1389)

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_1154b16e000275fd.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1390)

marnold
December 2nd, 2009, 05:16 PM
I'll try and get a clip posted, Matt, but.........
First things first..........
(notice the gain setting.........:happy )
Now THAT's what I'm talking about!

oldguy
December 11th, 2009, 12:07 PM
These little heads are more available now, and there are some more clips on youtube.
MF and music123 sites say "in stock and ready to ship" @$299.

d2UpqcMubsY&feature=related

C0j34S6mkck&feature=related

marnold
December 12th, 2009, 08:37 PM
That GuitarWorld demo sounds awesome. While he says it's not a metal amph (and I'd basically agree) most of my guitar heroes used a surprisingly low amount of gain. Some of the tones he was getting sounded quite Lynchian. I'd like to hear my Thesis 96 in front of one of those--or a Keeley DS-1 :)

R.B. Huckleberry
December 12th, 2009, 11:35 PM
This is a fantastic amp. I spent a long while with the 20 watt Jet City "stack" and a road worn Tele the other day. It's a great amp for everything from blues to hard rock.

Radioboy950
December 17th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Can't wait to try a combo!
In the meantime, I continue looking for more news nuggets on Jet City.
Good reading :
http://www.musictrades.com/news4.html

DOUG, on your next trip to the Fret, could you elaborate on the Pico w/THD?

Jet City
December 17th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Greets, Radio - Sean Cass told me about your question and reminded me to get over here.
Andy Marshall (owner of THD) and I have been friends for several years now, and have been wanting to do a project together. So when I told him about Jet City, he had the idea to contribute the PicoValve - it's 5 watts, with a 1/2 power switch, and full EQ. It also features Andy's cool "swappable power tubes" topology, which allows the player to use almost any octal power tube without changing the bias or any other settings. It will be playable at NAMM, and available on the street probably March.

FrankenFretter
December 17th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Greets, Radio - Sean Cass told me about your question and reminded me to get over here.
Andy Marshall (owner of THD) and I have been friends for several years now, and have been wanting to do a project together. So when I told him about Jet City, he had the idea to contribute the PicoValve - it's 5 watts, with a 1/2 power switch, and full EQ. It also features Andy's cool "swappable power tubes" topology, which allows the player to use almost any octal power tube without changing the bias or any other settings. It will be playable at NAMM, and available on the street probably March.

Wow, that sounds sweet. Thanks for getting back to us, Doug. It's good to see the JCA line really taking off. Are you able to keep up with the demand so far?

-Sean

bcdon
December 20th, 2009, 07:03 PM
A good amph deserves a good beer!

http://i49.tinypic.com/sqo0p4.jpg
http://www.brasserie-st-sylvestre.com/index.php/en.html

(Picked it up on Saturday and it is awesome!)

oldguy
December 20th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Congratulations!
Glad to see someone else got their hands on one. You've got the right axe paired up with it also, IMO. LP's are the perfect match for rockin' on that baby.
Doesn't it have just the greatest cranked sound, not just for the price, but for any single channel amph? Gets loud for 20w, too. :AOK

FrankenFretter
December 21st, 2009, 08:12 AM
A good amph deserves a good beer!

http://www.brasserie-st-sylvestre.com/index.php/en.html

(Picked it up on Saturday and it is awesome!)

Awesome, Don! Where did you end up finding one?

bcdon
December 21st, 2009, 12:16 PM
Congratulations!
Glad to see someone else got their hands on one. You've got the right axe paired up with it also, IMO. LP's are the perfect match for rockin' on that baby.
Doesn't it have just the greatest cranked sound, not just for the price, but for any single channel amph? Gets loud for 20w, too. :AOK
Thanks! It sounds very good. The cleans are nice and crisp; and when you hit the gain you can really feel it. What I'm most happy about is that it sounds good at low volumes so I won't bother my neighbours (well not as much as normal). :-)

bcdon
December 21st, 2009, 12:22 PM
Awesome, Don! Where did you end up finding one?
Thanks! I got it from the Guitar Center in Tukwila, WA. They only had the floor unit so I took it. GC claimed they only had it on the floor about a week and there are no dings. I'm actually glad I got the floor unit because I ended up paying no taxes when bringing back to Canada.

Also, according the the GC sales guy there were at least one floor unit at all the stores in the Seattle area.

Cheers,

don

NWBasser
December 21st, 2009, 07:14 PM
Thanks! I got it from the Guitar Center in Tukwila, WA. They only had the floor unit so I took it. GC claimed they only had it on the floor about a week and there are no dings. I'm actually glad I got the floor unit because I ended up paying no taxes when bringing back to Canada.

Also, according the the GC sales guy there were at least one floor unit at all the stores in the Seattle area.

Cheers,

don

Noooooo!!

That's more than a bit too close-by for my pocketbook.

The description that it goes so well with a LP is almost too much to take.

....must resist.

sunvalleylaw
December 21st, 2009, 10:29 PM
Tukwila, that is about where I used to buy waterskis. Didn't know there was a GC in the neighborhood.

bcdon
December 21st, 2009, 11:49 PM
Tukwila, that is about where I used to buy waterskis. Didn't know there was a GC in the neighborhood.
It's in that huge Westfield mall complex (diagonally across from Target).
The way the rain is coming down up here I might have to go back and find that waterski store. :)

oldguy
December 22nd, 2009, 09:18 AM
Noooooo!!

That's more than a bit too close-by for my pocketbook.

The description that it goes so well with a LP is almost too much to take.

....must resist.

Well, that's just IMHO. See if you agree, then you'll know whether it's worth the drive to check one out (gas being expensive and all....). :drool
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=13873

NWBasser
December 22nd, 2009, 12:30 PM
Well, that's just IMHO. See if you agree, then you'll know whether it's worth the drive to check one out (gas being expensive and all....). :drool
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=13873

Oh, nice playing!

Similar riffy style to what I typically play when I'm left to my own devices and a similar tone too. Yeah, I think the LP and that amph are a winner combo.:drool

The Kirkland GC is about 5 minutes from my house, so gasoline is no concern to go try one out. It's the GAS that I worry about!

FrankenFretter
December 22nd, 2009, 02:13 PM
Oh, nice playing!

Similar riffy style to what I typically play when I'm left to my own devices and a similar tone too. Yeah, I think the LP and that amph are a winner combo.:drool

The Kirkland GC is about 5 minutes from my house, so gasoline is no concern to go try one out. It's the GAS that I worry about!

Jason, I think you deserve to buy yourself a Christmas gift. I especially endorse this idea, because it benefits me. You can bring it with you when you come down to visit. Make sure and get a 2x12 cab to go with it. None of that wimpy 1x12 stuff for you, He-Man. Now that I think about it, it would probably be best if you got the 4x12 and stored it with me, so as to avoid any problems with it taking up too much room, and/or causing spousal friction. No worries, it will be well cared for, and quite safe. I never, ever turn my amphs above 11.

NWBasser
December 22nd, 2009, 03:48 PM
Jason, I think you deserve to buy yourself a Christmas gift. I especially endorse this idea, because it benefits me. You can bring it with you when you come down to visit. Make sure and get a 2x12 cab to go with it. None of that wimpy 1x12 stuff for you, He-Man. Now that I think about it, it would probably be best if you got the 4x12 and stored it with me, so as to avoid any problems with it taking up too much room, and/or causing spousal friction. No worries, it will be well cared for, and quite safe. I never, ever turn my amphs above 11.

Umm yeah. How about an 8x10 Ampeg fridge in your attic?!

With my work hours reduced, it's pretty unlikely that I'll be getting any more gear for awhile. IF I ever did, it would have to be the combo.

I could go over there and give you a report on one if they have any..

bcdon
December 22nd, 2009, 10:28 PM
I'm not trying to stoke any GAS fires.. but this amph is killer.
You have to at least give it a try, you'll be amazed at its tone. :dude

oldguy
December 23rd, 2009, 05:40 AM

Agreed. Back when I said I was ready to walk out of the store w/ it the first time I played it (and they couldn't sell it!) I wasn't kidding. I sure didn't need another amph. For the $$$ the sound you get is unreal.

Guitar50
December 23rd, 2009, 07:43 AM
I've given a few hints to my wife about what a great Christmas present this amp would be for a "certain someone", but if Santa doesn't come through, I'll be heading to my local GC in the very near future!

bcdon
December 23rd, 2009, 11:25 AM
I've given a few hints to my wife about what a great Christmas present this amp would be for a "certain someone", but if Santa doesn't come through, I'll be heading to my local GC in the very near future!

I'm rooting for you! :pancake

NWBasser
December 28th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I got to play one, the 20-watt head and cab, at the local GC this last weekend. I don't have a lot of writing time right now, but I'll say that I was very impressed!

It looks to be well-made and the tone is killer. I'd say it sounds as good as some amphs costing over a grand! It's a damn hard one to walk away from and I'd place it well above the competition at that price piont.

NWBasser
December 28th, 2009, 01:13 PM

Yes, I was duly amazed!!:dude

oldguy
December 29th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Yes, I was duly amazed!!:dude
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They do sound great, I agree.:happy

NWBasser
December 29th, 2009, 11:22 AM
If you have any desire for a truly great-sounding tube amp and don't need a lot of features like effects loop or channel switching, then this amph is perfect. The tone is right on par with a good many very high priced amphs, just fewer features.

The combo will be my next guitar amph. I'll just have to save for awhile.

oldguy
December 29th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Yep, I told a buddy if he wanted a British stack sound get one of these and set it on a good 4x12 cab. Add effects to taste, and your good to go.
If you need clean, you could get by with a dirt pedal, but the crunch on this thing is so good I never play it clean.

bcdon
January 13th, 2010, 11:26 PM
A sneak peak at the new stuff from Jet City.
e2ZUnnNNW6A

bcdon
January 23rd, 2010, 01:09 PM
The Tone King is giving away a JCA20H, see the following video for details.

wt0zVlklWK8

Fellow Canucks, play up the Canadian angle on how we never get cool stuff up here, except winter! (Remind them that since our national igloo just got electricity we could use something to use it for!) :happy :dude

bcdon
February 26th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Here's a review of the 100 watt JCA100H, killer!
a-TYcSjirbU

mainestratman
February 26th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Still looking forward to the Rev's video! :-)

marnold
February 26th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Still looking forward to the Rev's video! :-)
Yeah, you and me both. Last week I had no time. This week I came down with a Martian Death Cold of Doom. A friend of mine has a Mac laptop with a built in mic/camera so I might have him drag that over here and see if I can do a half-way decent recording.

BTW, that 100W head is the SLO100 clone. The head is > $1000, but it's still about 1/3 the price of a bona fide SLO.

marnold
March 5th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Saw that MF has raised the price on the JCA20H to $333. I'm sure that's a nudge to the logo, but still that's $34 more than it had been selling for. The mini-stack and the various cabs remain the same price. They're still on back-order. Guess I got mine at a good time?

oldguy
March 6th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Saw that MF has raised the price on the JCA20H to $333. I'm sure that's a nudge to the logo, but still that's $34 more than it had been selling for. The mini-stack and the various cabs remain the same price. They're still on back-order. Guess I got mine at a good time?

Yeah, you and me both.........

bcdon
March 6th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Some great demos of the JCA100H head.
5ugGxWnKqMw
NNc-gkVwwJ4
oFUFirtjXQc
s7PHh_aIwQY

marnold
March 15th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I saw on their Facebook page that they are coming up with replacement panels for the amphs so if you don't like the blue you can get something else. I like the blue, but they've got a metal one like the grill in the back which looks very cool. Plus then you can see the tubes in their glowing glory! I think they're supposed to go for ~$10.

FrankenFretter
March 15th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I saw on their Facebook page that they are coming up with replacement panels for the amphs so if you don't like the blue you can get something else. I like the blue, but they've got a metal one like the grill in the back which looks very cool. Plus then you can see the tubes in their glowing glory! I think they're supposed to go for ~$10.

That's cool. I don't mind blue, but it isn't among my first choices for an amph color. I'll have to see if they have candy apple beige...

bcdon
March 18th, 2010, 11:00 PM
A Tone King teaser for a FX-loop mod for the JCA20H. This would be very sweet if it's a do-able modification.
FlcT7C1fNl4

bcdon
March 28th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Here is a longer demo of the JCA20H modified with a boost and effects loop. Regarding the boost, I couldn't tell the difference when the gain was dimed. The effects loop would be pretty cool to have.

Rdq7XeqlXLg

marnold
March 29th, 2010, 09:16 AM
The boost seems rather pointless unless you wouldn't already have an OD/boost pedal. The effects loop would be of greater interest to me, but I dread to think how much someone would charge for that. I would have liked to hear the difference between running those effects in the loop and running them in front of the amph. I also wondered why his distorted tone sounded somewhat harsh, then I noticed where he had the presence. Oh well.

Robsilver
April 13th, 2010, 01:42 PM
_5H1kHmB4ck

I got a JCA20H a few days ago, this is a collection of video clips from my first gig with it.
It sounds AMAZING!

bcdon
April 13th, 2010, 02:18 PM
_5H1kHmB4ck

I got a JCA20H a few days ago, this is a collection of video clips from my first gig with it.
It sounds AMAZING!

Very nice! And welcome to The Fret, Rob! Head on over to the intro section (http://www.thefret.net/forumdisplay.php?f=13) and introduce yourself. :dude

marnold
April 13th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Sounds great, Rob! I saw your videos earlier via the Jet City Facebook page. Yours sounds a lot better than mine, but that has more than a little something to do with the guy at the guitar end :)

guitarmadman85
May 30th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I have been reading up on the Jet City discussion. I have a JCA20H, and everyone is hammering the clean on the amp. It might not have a lot of clean headroom, but the quality of the clean is great! I couldn't be happier. With a SD 59 jazz neck pickup in an ESP LTD Eclipse the clean is full, punchy, and compressed in all the right places. I might not be quite fender clean, but it is perfect for me. I couldn't be happier. It sounds great recorded too. Check it out all mic'd up.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Zach-Rawlings/122476461118374?ref=ts

marnold
May 30th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I have been reading up on the Jet City discussion. I have a JCA20H, and everyone is hammering the clean on the amp. It might not have a lot of clean headroom, but the quality of the clean is great! I couldn't be happier. With a SD 59 jazz neck pickup in an ESP LTD Eclipse the clean is full, punchy, and compressed in all the right places. I might not be quite fender clean, but it is perfect for me. I couldn't be happier. It sounds great recorded too. Check it out all mic'd up.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Zach-Rawlings/122476461118374?ref=ts
Hi GMM85/Zach--welcome to The Fret!

I agree with your comments on the cleans. What I can get from it I really like, but I have read online some people thinking that it will be a Fender Blackface or something which it most assuredly isn't. I take that to be a Good Thing because while I like Blackface cleans, a Blackface can't give me the crunch I'm looking for either.

That clip sounded great--were all the guitar parts recorded with the Jet City?

guitarmadman85
June 2nd, 2010, 01:41 PM
Thanks! I agree whole heartedly with your comments about the clean. Everything was recorded with the JCA20H, either plugged straight in, or the solo with a crybaby wah in front. I used a 2x12 cab I built with an Eminence Governor and Private Jack speakers. I just ordered a full re-tube set of JJ's from eurotubes. They should be here Friday and I'm really excited to try them out. I expect them to make a great amp sound even better.

marnold
June 2nd, 2010, 03:06 PM
Thanks! I agree whole heartedly with your comments about the clean. Everything was recorded with the JCA20H, either plugged straight in, or the solo with a crybaby wah in front. I used a 2x12 cab I built with an Eminence Governor and Private Jack speakers. I just ordered a full re-tube set of JJ's from eurotubes. They should be here Friday and I'm really excited to try them out. I expect them to make a great amp sound even better.
Ironically, I just emailed Eurotubes about a retube kit. I assume you went with three ECC83S (one balanced for V3) and a matched pair of EL84s? They suggested a ECC81 for V1 for more clean headroom. Not sure I really want the extra headroom that badly. If I order, though, I'll have them throw one in for kicks. Otherwise shipping kills you.

I'd be interested in some before and after clips if you'd get a chance. Also, have you tried running it at high gain with a delay pedal in front of it?

guitarmadman85
June 2nd, 2010, 05:27 PM
Yep. I went with three ECC83s, one balanced, and matched pair of EL84s. I asked if they recommended putting in a lower gain tube in the preamp, but they didn't have much to say about it. I wouldn't go for it either. I can throw some before and after clips up. He said they would be here by Friday. I will mic my cabinet, do the before clips, change the tubes, and us the same settings. I did end up having a fairly lengthy discussion with them about biasing these. Jet City tells you pretty much not to worry about biasing them, but he suggested otherwise. You can get a bias probe for $45 dollars from them. After watching all their videos on biasing I will probably buy one in the next couple weeks and bias it to the tubes he is sending me. I am excited to hear it with the JJ's, and after it's biased I am sure it will just sing.

marnold
June 2nd, 2010, 05:31 PM
I did end up having a fairly lengthy discussion with them about biasing these. Jet City tells you pretty much not to worry about biasing them, but he suggested otherwise. You can get a bias probe for $45 dollars from them. After watching all their videos on biasing I will probably buy one in the next couple weeks and bias it to the tubes he is sending me. I am excited to hear it with the JJ's, and after it's biased I am sure it will just sing.
Yeah, I wondered about that too. There's supposedly some kind of biasing knob or something in there, but I'd also heard that these little EL84 amphs didn't need much along the lines of biasing. It's a classic case of a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Any of you Fret amph gurus care to chime in on the subject?

guitarmadman85
June 2nd, 2010, 05:37 PM
By the way, I definitely recommend calling. He spent a good ten minutes with me on the phone and answered all my questions.

guitarmadman85
June 4th, 2010, 07:12 PM
So...I know I told you I would do some before and after clips of the JCA20H with and without the JJ tubes, but I didn't end up having a lot of time this afternoon, and when I saw the box on the porch I just couldn't wait. I guess my opinion will have to do. It is by far the best $50 bucks I have spent in a long time. If I have to sum it up into one sentence, if would be that the sound is more clear and defined no matter what clean or gain setting you use. I loved the way it sounded before, but this is much improved version. The low end is a lot more defined, and I didn't think it was muddy sounding before, but I have to say less muddy in the low end. It really smoothed out the high notes, and they sound less harsh. The gain is more focused, and overdriven chords come out with a lot more clarity than before. The thing I love most is how much more focused the gain is, It really is awesome. The amp does seem more punchy too. If this amp sounded this good on the showroom floor, everyone would buy one, we would all do it on impulse...or maybe addiction.... It really feels like magic. I thought the amp was a steal before, but now it seems too good to be true. Also, when you pick softly with gain at around 6.5, you loose less treble, the sound stays more true to the guitar. It will be interesting to see how much it will help to bias the amp to the new power tubes, whenever I can get the balls and the probe to do that. The JJ tubes from eurotubes are a must have!

Tig
June 4th, 2010, 08:30 PM
So...I know I told you I would do some before and after clips of the JCA20H with and without the JJ tubes, but I didn't end up having a lot of time this afternoon, and when I saw the box on the porch I just couldn't wait. I guess my opinion will have to do. It is by far the best $50 bucks I have spent in a long time. If I have to sum it up into one sentence, if would be that the sound is more clear and defined no matter what clean or gain setting you use. I loved the way it sounded before, but this is much improved version. The low end is a lot more defined, and I didn't think it was muddy sounding before, but I have to say less muddy in the low end. It really smoothed out the high notes, and they sound less harsh. The gain is more focused, and overdriven chords come out with a lot more clarity than before. The thing I love most is how much more focused the gain is, It really is awesome. The amp does seem more punchy too. If this amp sounded this good on the showroom floor, everyone would buy one, we would all do it on impulse...or maybe addiction.... It really feels like magic. I thought the amp was a steal before, but now it seems too good to be true. Also, when you pick softly with gain at around 6.5, you loose less treble, the sound stays more true to the guitar. It will be interesting to see how much it will help to bias the amp to the new power tubes, whenever I can get the balls and the probe to do that. The JJ tubes from eurotubes are a must have!

Oh great, that makes me want a JCA20H even more now! :thwap

marnold
June 4th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Well, if you could find the time to swap the tubes back (like you'll want to do that from your description) and do some clips, I'd appreciate it. Failing that, if you could do an "after" clip, that'd be cool. From your description, though, it sounds like just what the doctor ordered. Looks like I should start putting a few bucks aside.

guitarmadman85
June 4th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Well, if you could find the time to swap the tubes back (like you'll want to do that from your description) and do some clips, I'd appreciate it. Failing that, if you could do an "after" clip, that'd be cool. From your description, though, it sounds like just what the doctor ordered. Looks like I should start putting a few bucks aside.

I'm sorry man. I know I told you I would do some before and after clips. I have her all put back together so I won't be putting the old ones back in... but I will definitely put some after clips up... and I have some before clips already recorded that might work.... I'll have to see what I can come up with. I hope you can forgive me!

marnold
June 5th, 2010, 08:37 AM
I'm sorry man. I know I told you I would do some before and after clips. I have her all put back together so I won't be putting the old ones back in... but I will definitely put some after clips up... and I have some before clips already recorded that might work.... I'll have to see what I can come up with. I hope you can forgive me!
I think I could probably see my way clear to doing that :)

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how do you get the head apart to get at the tubes?

guitarmadman85
June 5th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Maybe this is a stupid question, but how do you get the head apart to get at the tubes?

I just unscrewed the back panel, the one that has the see through metal grate. There were about six screws, and from there you can get to all the tubes pretty easily. The only one that was a little difficult was the preamp tube in V1. It's the preamp tube you can't see from the back because it sits right it front of the transformer(right above the input jack). I couldn't really see that one too great, but I knew which way the tube was supposed to go, so I very gentle put that one in. They only fit one way. It will be interesting, because the only way to get the front baffle off is to take the back panel off and unscrew it from the inside. Just a thought for all of us looking forward to the new baffles.

guitarmadman85
June 5th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Hey! Here are some quick sound clips after installing the JJ tubes. I didn't really focus on my playing, but more on trying to simply show the responsiveness of the amp, so forgive to simple licks.

Radioboy950
June 5th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Hey! Here are some quick sound clips after installing the JJ tubes. I didn't really focus on my playing, but more on trying to simply show the responsiveness of the amp, so forgive to simple licks.

The gain & tone sound great, especially on the Metallica riff.
I love JJ tubes too.
Man, I can't find any negatives about the stuff Jet City is putting out.

marnold
June 6th, 2010, 10:14 AM
No need to apologize for the playing. Still sounds like a Jet City, but maybe a bit smoother. I can't get the gain up to 9 on mine and still have it hold together like that. It loses a lot of clarity. What guitar/pickups were you using?

guitarmadman85
June 6th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I'm glad that the clips were beneficial for yah, and that you could hear the difference in the sound. I played an ESP LTD EC-400VF. I would say it's comparable to an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, but better(in my opinion). The guitar has a Seymour Duncan 59 Jazz in the neck and a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge. I used a custom guitar cab I built, that has Eminence Private Jack and Governor speakers. The Private Jack is voiced like a Greenback, and the Governor is voiced like a Vintage 30, but both are made it America. I mic'd the Governor for the tracks. I took pictures of the control settings I used for the tracks, but the file size was too big for the forum and I didn't want to go through the trouble of resizing them.

marnold
June 9th, 2010, 11:03 AM
A couple of British gentlemen review the amph (combo version) with a HSS Mexicaster. You get a good idea of the tones from the amph, but this is what happens when people forget to take their prescription medication . . . or take too much of it.

Ds8QEQcE-uE

FrankenFretter
June 9th, 2010, 12:41 PM
A couple of British gentlemen review the amph (combo version) with a HSS Mexicaster. You get a good idea of the tones from the amph, but this is what happens when people forget to take their prescription medication . . . or take too much of it.

That's Rob Chappers, a.k.a. The Monkey Lord (http://www.monkeylord.co.uk/chappers/). I actually enjoy most of his reviews, and find him far less annoying than The Tone King to listen to. Normally he's a bit less of a nutter when he does his reviews, though.

marnold
June 9th, 2010, 02:57 PM
That's Rob Chappers, a.k.a. The Monkey Lord (http://www.monkeylord.co.uk/chappers/). I actually enjoy most of his reviews, and find him far less annoying than The Tone King to listen to. Normally he's a bit less of a nutter when he does his reviews, though.
Well, since I'm a fan of British weirdness, I found it to be entertaining. I would think that there are many people who would find it annoying.

Tig
June 9th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Well, since I'm a fan of British weirdness, I found it to be entertaining.

Found you a coffee cup (http://www.zazzle.co.uk/the_knights_who_say_ni_mug-168592490948587705), Rev. :thumbsup

http://rlv.zcache.com/the_knights_who_say_ni_mug-p1685924909485877052otmb_400.jpg

http://www.id-wall.com/images/large/MP010107-NI-frame--000204.jpg

marnold
June 9th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Found you a coffee cup (http://www.zazzle.co.uk/the_knights_who_say_ni_mug-168592490948587705), Rev. :thumbsup
That is too awesome. Too bad it's in the UK. (update: I stand corrected. (http://www.zazzle.com/the+knights+who+say+ni+gifts))

I now return you to your regularly scheduled Jet City conversation, already in progress.

ZMAN
June 24th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I saw an add recently for a local small store. They don't have Fender or Gibson but they have a lot of other guitars. They have the Jet City amps in stock. I asked online about a 20h and they said 425. Wow plus 13% tax. I have seen them out west in Vancouver B.C. for 369, but I have yet to see them in Ontario. I doubt they will be a big seller at those prices. I would get one through MF or one of the online US retailers. Pick it up in the US on a trip. 333 no tax, with the dollar exchange at 4 cents it is a no brainer.