PDA

View Full Version : Happy New A & L Dread

Heywood Jablomie
October 7th, 2009, 06:47 AM
I just got a brand new Art & Lutherie Cedar Antique Burst yesterday, after struggling unsuccessfully with its wide-necked (1.8 ") Seagull S6 cousin I had picked up used a month ago. Having not done my homework, I wasn't aware of the S6's wide neck until after I had gotten it home and played it for a bit.:thwap I had hoped I could adjust to it, but NFW. I liked everything else about the S6, and the new A & L delivers it all, along with a normal-width neck. I got this guitar for $250 and it'll blow away anything in that price range. It's a no-frills guitar that bling aficionados probably wouldn't care for, but with its light lacquer (yep, not poly) finish that allows the top to resonate fully, this thing is LOUD. I played four of them before picking one to buy and again noticed something I had noticed before - they vary quite a bit sonically from guitar to guitar. I suspect that it's because of the cedar tops, not because of construction variables.

So, if you're looking for a bargain-priced acoustic, check one of these out.

tjcurtin1
October 7th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I love mine - the sound of the guitar really develops in a short time with playing, probably due to the the thin finish allowing the top to resonate freely. Try Dean Markley Acoustic Alchemy strings if you want to hear just how big a sound it can make!