PDA

View Full Version : Indie/neo-psych music

Eric
October 7th, 2009, 07:59 PM
For about roughly a year now, I've been kind of fixated on what I guess is considered neo-psychadelic music like Darker My Love and The Black Angels. They seem to be similar to shoegaze, but with a sense of melody and direction that shoegaze bands (outside of maybe Swervedriver) lack.

Does anybody else listen to this sort of music? If so, any recommendations? I'm working on downloading some of The Warlocks, and Dead Meadow is another name that came up a bit. Has anyone ever seen them live? Any good?

Just out of curiosity, what sort of equipment do they tend to employ? To my ear it sounds like fuzz pedals, reverb, and wah, but I'm bad at that sort of stuff.

sunvalleylaw
October 7th, 2009, 10:08 PM
I had not heard any of it (neo psych I mean, especially the bands you mentioned). I went and youtubed some. "Summer is Here" was a bit REMish to me, but with more distortion. As far as equipment, I am with you. Fuzz or other distro box, verb, wha, maybe some chorus. But that is just from listening. Nothing too high gain going on, which to me sounds indie. A sound that I like. I hear a bit of 80s college rock (which was considered indie back in the day) in their sound, which leads me to the REM comment.

The Black Angels sound pretty cool too on the one I listened to. (Black Grease). I did not notice anything particular about the sound other than what you said, other than the vocals and vocal lines were a bit Perry Farrell like.

Sorry I cannot suggest any others, but thanks for pointing me on another track to follow for new tunes. I like indie.

Retro Hound
October 8th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Hadn't heard of these bands, but I really love that style. Have you seen the Rhino collection of Children of Nuggets: Original ARtyfacts from the Second Psychedelic Era - 1976-1996 4 CD box set? Another you might like is The Life Less Lived, the Gothic Box. I know a lot of people react negatively to the term "gothic" but it's got some really good music. Take a look at the track listings and look the bands up on lulu, rhapsody, youtube, or whatever, to get a feel for what they sound like.

As to equipment used, I haven't a clue, I'm too new at playing.