PDA

View Full Version : Delay Pedal Sound Problems

Tim
August 31st, 2006, 04:46 AM
I have the Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo effects pedal. I really do not notice too much difference between the Delay and the Echo effect. I am experiencing one problem while using the pedal. When I stomp on the pedal to engage it, the overall guitar tone seems to take on a far away distance type sound. It is hard to explain. The volume stays the same, but overall it sounds like a filter has been put in between the pedal and the amp output sound.

I am not using batteries, but use the 9 volt Godlyke power supply in series with then other pedals. I have the ranges set to the following: Range = 120-650 ms, Mode = Delay, the Delay Time = 7:00 o’clock, Repeat = 10:00 o’clock and Delay Level = 7:30 o’clock (please see attached link for photo). http://www.ibanez.com/accessories/spec.asp?m=18&z=y

Am I using incorrect settings for this particular stomp pedal? Or is it the nature of the beast to sound as it does? Thanks for any help.

Spudman
August 31st, 2006, 09:20 PM
Tim
Does this pedal have two output jacks? You might have the output plugged into the wrong jack.
Otherwise play with the delay level to see if it changes significantly.

Justaguyin_nc
November 11th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Tim, I really don't know what I am doing.. But I also have the Ibanez DE-7 and there is a obvious difference between the echo and delay sounds on mine.. The Delay/Echo is going to be different for everyone / song but Delay Time between 300-400 seems to be the sweet spot for me.. personally, I mostly put mine at Time: 12:00 o'clock Repeat: 10:00 and Level 10:00... Mine is also comming out the top output marked Mono.... not the bottom DRY/OUT...

I think it sounds very good... With Chorus and Echo it adds some nice thickness to song chords. Also nice finding the right timing to do single note solos with just the right amount of Delay time to make them sound on forever.. seems like a pretty nice pedal.

Iago
November 11th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Tim, maybe u got a lemon... try with a battery too to see if it makes any difference. I was interested on that pedal too, and I read a lot about it on harmony central a week ago. Some people say it makes their sound "muddy" although now I can`t remember what setups they were using.

Justaguyin_nc
November 12th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Don't know if this will help Tim.. I did a compare from Delay and Echo with same settings... I can tell the difference but it's not as far apart as I thought.. Neck Pickup on the 60's MIM Strat through crate to computer.

Difference in DE-7 Delay sound
and Echo Sound.
Settings 12:00 10:00 10:00
3 parts each section starts..
1-No effect
2-Delay
3-Echo

Justaguyin_nc
November 12th, 2006, 02:31 PM
One other thing Tim..I have it as the last pedal in the chain if that makes a difference?

Iago
November 14th, 2006, 08:41 AM
yeah.. try using it alone, on the front of the amp or in line.. to see if it makes any difference (I think you probably done so already:D)

Tim
November 16th, 2006, 11:03 AM
OK guys. Sorry about the delay in responding to your advice on the Ibanez Delay/Echo pedal. I never thought life would be this busy at 58 years old. When does life really slow down? Never mind, don’t answer that question.

Anyway, I dialed in the suggested settings by Justaguy. The pedal came alive. So I guess I was holding back on letting the pedal do its thing. Basically I think the problem lies in my playing skills. When playing alone with the suggested settings, the tone did not sound very good. It was just plain ugly. When I played with a backing track, the overall tone improved. I think the backing track hides my playing technique, which is zero at this time. I got to teach these fingers how to add some character to my playing.

Now I need to learn how to mix delay and chorus together for that smooth waterfall effect. Thanks for all those who responded to my thread.

oldguy
November 16th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Justa-IS-the-guy!(in N.C.!) When you need advice, ask a player who's had time to "work" the pedal...amp...etc. that you're "new" to. Works like a charm. The problem I always had was finding someone who would take the time to walk me through it. Thus, the Fret.Net is the "best thing since sliced bread."
(Sorry, an old hillbilly saying in Missouri.":rolleyes:
Glenn

Justaguyin_nc
November 17th, 2006, 01:04 AM
When I played with a backing track, the overall tone improved. I think the backing track hides my playing technique

Tim im with you..:) that's why I keep trying to get more pedals...it hides my
mistakes better to.. heh.. Heck, if hiding technique behind pedals is good enough for Gilmour and other pedal freaks..it's good enough for me..... :) glad I could help.. I also noticed.. turning down the Delay level will let the echo fall to a distant sound which is pretty neat.. and ofcourse adjusting the Delay time for different songs helps it all fall into place... more I mess with it the better I like it.. it seems to be always on.. I got to the point I leave reverb off and just mix the delay and chorus and it sounds pretty full... can you explain what the waterfall effect is you mean? or point to a song you hear it in?