PDA

View Full Version : Custom Art Pickguard

Perfect Stranger
October 8th, 2009, 08:38 AM
A few of you might remember this Chinese Strat that I recently built.
http://i26.tinypic.com/a3e6md.jpg

Well, I've really grown fond of this guitar and play it all the time coz it plays and sound
so good. I recently contacted a buddy of mine (click HERE (http://www.gardega.com/) to see his work, scroll down
a little to see pickguard) that's an artist and he has agreed to paint me a custom pickguard
for it. I've asked for nothing in particular as far as subject matter, nor colors. It
will be neat and interesting to see what he comes up with.

I'm not sure how long it will take him to complete, but when it's done I'll post some pix if
there is any interest.

:happy

Plank_Spanker
October 12th, 2009, 05:44 AM
I guess you don't intend to thrash this guitar once you get the pickguard painted...................:D

Do you plan to put some sort of clearcoat on it to protect the paint?

Perfect Stranger
October 12th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I will definitely clearcoat it. I wait and see what medium he uses on it.

Plank_Spanker
October 12th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Maybe a thin, clear Lexan guard over the painted guard:

www.pickguards.com

You could custom order very thin Lexan, and it would protect the paint like no clear coat could. If it gets scratched to the point of looking bad, you just replace it, and the painted guard will always look like new.

Just an idea.................................

sunvalleylaw
October 12th, 2009, 11:39 AM
That lexan (maybe a satin finish like the covers you can put on iPhones) sounds like a great idea, and I like the idea of original art on the guard too! They make clear lexan that one can cut to put on headlamps too that maybe could be used.

Perfect Stranger
October 12th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Those are excellent ideas! Thanks so much....:AOK

sunvalleylaw
October 12th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Now that I think about it, the glass protector stuff for headlights is probably too soft in finish to use under pick attack. The stuff that is like what covers iphones is a harder finish and would work I would think.

bigoldron
October 21st, 2009, 06:38 AM
Hey PS! Your bud does some really nice work, but I was wondering: did he ever paint vans back in the '70's??? Some of his work looks familiar...

Perfect Stranger
October 21st, 2009, 07:57 AM
Dunno if that's a crack or not....but no, he didn't. Check out some of his
clients....