PDA

View Full Version : Understanding Scales & How To use

Tim
August 31st, 2006, 05:08 AM
I am having a difficult time determining which scale I should play over particular songs. If I understand the theory correctly I can play an A minor pentatonic over an A minor chord progression (for a blues sound). I can also play an A major pentatonic over an A minor chord progression (for a country sound). I can play an A major scale over a song written in the key of A.

Are there other scales which can be played over these three particular A chord progressions mentioned? Am I correct in thinking that the C major pentatonic can also be played over an A major chord progression?

What’s the best way to learn how to play different scales within the A major and A minor chord progressions? Right now I would like to keep it simple and slow. I understand there are 7th scales and diminished scales, harmonic scales, and etc. I am not ready to go there yet.

Robert – your videos are helping but can you expand on how to actually take a scale and make a melody out of it over a 12 bar progression?

Robert
August 31st, 2006, 07:51 AM
Tim, I advice you to get a music theory book for guitarist. I've heard this one is good - http://www.elderly.com/books/items/49-331173.htm

I'll try and make some videos explaining the basics better.

A major pentatonic over A minor - nono, that doesn't sound good, because you are playing the major 3rd over a minor chord - they clash (unless you are very skilled in disguising this).

C major pentatonic does not work over A major (the 3rds clash again - minor/major issue). C major pentatonic over A minor however, works perfectly. C major pentatonic is indeed identical to A minor pentatonic.

Tim
September 2nd, 2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks Robert. I will look into the book you suggested. I have another question, but will start a new thread.

Katastrophe
September 3rd, 2006, 07:13 AM
This may help -

Write out all the chords in a particular key. Example:

C major, D minor, E major, F major, G major, A minor, Bmin7b5.

Go to the 6th chord in the key, or A minor. That's the relative minor to C major. You can solo with both A minor and C major scales (and their corresponding pentatonics), and it will sound good. There are also modes that correspond with each chord in the key, but that's for later.

Hope this helps!