PDA

View Full Version : Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 112

TS808
August 31st, 2006, 06:41 AM
I am really interested in the H & K you have though. Can you start a thread about it and maybe some audio clips? I'd like to know more about it and how it compares to Fenders, Marshalls, etc.

I got the H & K around the same time as my AD100VT, because I wanted a small tube combo that would sound good at low volumes as well as cranked.
Here's some specs on the amp: 20 watts, EL84 power tubes, reverb, bass, mid, treble, volume. The dirty channel has gain and volume. The EQ is shared between both channels.

I chose this over a Blues Jr and also looked at the Crate 15 watt. What first caught my attention with the H & K was that the cabinet is larger than the BJ and Crate. I owned a Blues Jr before, and although I thought it was a good amp, it sounded a little bit boxy to me. Also, Fender has this habit of putting volume controls on their Hot Rod series (and a few others) where the volume really jumps between 1 and 3, so it make it difficult to sometimes jam late at night, even with a 15 watter.

On the H & K, I can play the clean channel at about 4 without it being too loud for home. The gain, even as low as 9:00 gives some really good crunch. Cranked, it will knock you off your feet.

This amp doesn't have a fender sound; the cleans start to break up after 4. I think the amp has more of a "British" sound to it, closer to a Marshall than a Fender. The amp sounds fabulous with single coils. I haven't played it with humbuckers, but I'm sure it would be great. Very smooth mids on this amp, and the mid and treble controls are very interactive.

Definitely worth taking a look at. It's more expensive than a Fender or Crate, but worth it in my opinion.