PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with your childs cancer,,, Miracles happen.

Trailer Park Casanova
October 10th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Just finished a 2 year, seven month gig dealing with one of our kids Lymphatic cancer.

We thought we beat it about 2 years ago.
Suddenly, it came roaring back in about a 48 hour period.
The cancer itself is slow moving, it's symptoms are fast moving.
Scary fast.

I'll get back to our child.

When I was a kid, my mom bounced back and forth between aircraft contracts with a local aerospace firm, and Disney Studios feature length and shorts cinema projects.

A miracle that she was able to synchronize one job with the layoff of another and then back again and again,,, while my dad went fishing.
I'll get back to miracles.

She tired of that, got her Masters in Psychology, had a family counseling office to the stars, and wrote psychology textbooks.
If I learned anything from my mom, it was perseverance and the power of positive thinking.

I'll get back to positive thinking.

Our child spent 100 days in the hospital, and 100 days out, then another 100 days in, so on and so fourth.

City of Hope Oncology hospital Campus has a full hookups RV park just steps from our childs hospital bed.
It helped having our RV right there,, the ordeal was so exhausting.
The Jose Cuervo campground BTW.

Famous people would visit the sick in the hospital in the middle of the night to avoid making a big scene with other visitors.

I'd sit out in front of our RV at night in a beach chair and the famous would sometimes stop and chat. Actually, I think they needed directions.
Janet Jackson,, with Beyonce, Jay Leno,,, NASCAR drivers, sports stars,,,, they knew we were distressed parents taking a break from the drama.
-But that's another thread for someplace else I guess.

Everything at City of Hope Cancer hospital has a sponsors name.
The Gibson meeting room,, the Fender Elevator,, the Vox cafeteria etc, the Yamaha waiting room,, etc.

My wife is a specialty oncology nurse at one of the big University Hospitals.
She has a magical presence like you rarely experience when someone enters a room. Her heart is really in the right place. Sharp in her skills, often doctors ask for their patients to be in her care. Out of 1271 other nurses.

We can't go anyplace inthe USA and someone not walk up and talk to us that knows her through some serious cancer episode in their life or their families life.

Cardinal Roger Mahony,, Mayor Viaragosa,, Arnold,, humble missionary chaplains who by the way, have very tough jobs, thankless jobs helping the sick.

Even just walking through The Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas the drinks and comps start flowing our way. On the strength that so many know her.

Wifes deeply religious and often told me of miracles she witnessed at work.
Incredible stories.
She was my pillar of strength,, kept me focused on the power of positive thinking.

So 2 years and 7 months later, it's all behind us, our child tested clear of cancer,, and our life is resuming to a normal pulse once again.

Miracles really do happen, and the best way to miracles is positive thinking and perseverance.

mrmudcat
October 11th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I hope and pray everyone who deals with cancer has a wonderful ending brother....I have dealt with this on many levels in my own family,not as hard as you and yours though.:cool:

Kodiak3D
October 11th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Glad to hear it, Cas! Very glad that everything has turned out well.

sunvalleylaw
October 11th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the positive thoughts and words TPC! All the best to all of you!!

deeaa
October 11th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I started reading this and man, I got such a horrible feeling...cold stone in my gut...didn't realize at first it turned out fine...phew...can't imagine anything more horrible than something that serious threatening one's child...I guess I'm extra sensitive just now, having had a new boy (who's still being taken care at the hospital & fed with IV btw, a slight problem with blood sugar levels...he'll be fine) but anyway, so glad it turned out good! PHEW!

tjcurtin1
October 11th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the great positive vibe, TCP - blessings on you all.

marnold
October 11th, 2009, 06:41 PM
In my experience the most devastating parts of life are the ones that are followed by the biggest blessings. I used to question why so many "bad" things happen. Now I'm thankful for every last one of them. Problems steel us, make us stronger, give us an opportunity to help each other, and give us the "attitude adjustment" we so frequently need.

Nevertheless, I am very thankful that your bout with cancer is over--for good, I pray. I'm also very thankful for your wife's dedicated service as a nurse. The more I visit people in the hospital, the more I realize that a good nurse is more precious than gold.

duhvoodooman
October 12th, 2009, 08:29 AM
A very inspirational post. Thanks for taking the time to do it. And glad to hear the story's happy ending. :happy

Perfect Stranger
October 12th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Thank you...

Trailer Park Casanova
October 12th, 2009, 02:39 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/17633thumbsUp.gif
Thanks, you're all too kind.

Brian Krashpad
October 12th, 2009, 02:58 PM
No thank you that was a great read.

Prayers and mojo.

M29
October 12th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Thank you, prayers and mojo to you and your family. I am having my family read this. GB

peachhead
October 12th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I'm also very thankful for your wife's dedicated service as a nurse. The more I visit people in the hospital, the more I realize that a good nurse is more precious than gold.

You ain't kiddin'. My daughter had two of the most wonderful nurses when she was in hospital earlier this year. It made so much difference in her, it was remarkable.

Many prayers to you and your family, Cas, and I hope you are out of the woods for good. What a great post.

piebaldpython
October 13th, 2009, 06:31 AM
TPC.....thanks for the inspirational read. Glad to hear that all is well with your child and I pray that the cancer STAYS in remission. Very good that your wife is a dedicated nurse.