PDA

View Full Version : Agile AL-3000 vs. AL-3100

duhvoodooman
October 12th, 2009, 12:36 PM
In case anyone here is ever looking at these two top-of-the-line LP clones from Agile, the ONLY difference between them is abalone block fretboard inlays on the 3000 and mother-of-pearl inlays on the 3100. That's it, nothing else. I thought there had to be something else, but I checked with Kurt at Rondo and he assured me that that was the only difference between the two models....

Tig
October 12th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Yep, once you get to the 3000 and up (versus the AL-2xxx levels), the electronics are a grade higher and you get triple binding on the body and headstock.

Here's the Agile AL spec sheet for all models:
http://www.rondomusic.com/alspec.html

I'm suffering GAS combined with LOFS (lack of funds syndrome)!
yes, I just made up LOFS
:rolleyes:

Perfect Stranger
October 12th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Both models are outstanding! Just depends on whether you want a little flash, or a little class... I've owned both
and can certainly vouch for them being the same. One thing to keep in mind, there are slim neck profiles, and thin
neck profiles also....so that can throw another variable in there for you. I personally love my thin neck profile.

msteeln
October 12th, 2009, 09:00 PM
The 2900/Chambered seems to get some of the 3100 appointments.
I'm hoping to get one soon and at least slap a Bigsby horseshoe on.

FrankenFretter
October 13th, 2009, 12:58 PM
The 2900/Chambered seems to get some of the 3100 appointments.
I'm hoping to get one soon and at least slap a Bigsby horseshoe on.

That's the one that has me most interested. Almost 2 lbs lighter, seems to be a point in that one's favor. Then again, as PS recently posted, there are now the neck-thru 3000s. I wonder if that factor is really worth the extra $200. I have a neck-thru Douglas, and it does have great sustain, but I'm not sure it's THAT noticeable. Then again, it's just my own humble opinion.

-Sean

Duff
October 14th, 2009, 11:08 PM
I would think that the Three Thousand series with the neck thru construction are quite considerably better designed than the set neck versions.

Think about it.

Strength wise they are going to not have the glue joint at the neck joint and the pickups, etc., are going to be mounted directly to the neck. There is no interface between the neck and the body; however, there still is an important interface between the pickups and the guitar and the nature of this union is certainly going to be of great importance, seemingly, or potentially so. Great pickups mounted this way could produce some great effects I would imagine. Really good wood with really sensitive pickups properly joined could result in a possibly great situation.

It is an exciting prospect definitely. Direct mount pickups could be really interesting in this situation. Then again, just a plain old guitar in the absence of none could prove to be an even more motivating invitation for someone.

Duffy
New location: South Williamsport, Pa., on the Susquehanna River; a quite nice little place, not a lot like your average place.