PDA

View Full Version : A new guy in the corner...

@nthony
October 13th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Good Day to you all!

I'm a Birmingham, UK, based guitarist, living in the same village as Ozzy Osbourne grew up in! (Moseley for anyone interested).

I started playing guitar at 16, had my first band at 17 called Waif. Played one gig, which included covers and original material. [Covers of Iggy Pop's The Passanger, Soft Cell's Tainted Love (on guitar no keyboard - many years before Marilyn Manson's cover), and original scores such as Don't Dump Me In Dudley.] and then noodled around for a few years never getting much progress. I hung the axe up at the age of 22 and didn't look at it again.

That was until...

Four weeks ago, I got the MIM Standard Telecaster re-strung, and started applying myself to re-learning it properly. It's coming back much quicker, and to be honest with you I feel much more competant with my playing than I ever have before. I got myself a cheap Harley Benton solid state amp too for £20 from Ebay. [The clean channel is great but the overdrive sucks! - Thank god for my ProCo Rat2]

I've started learning my scales (using CAGED which has been a breath of fresh air to me) I've already learnt all the Major (and Natural Minor) scales in all keys up and down the neck! What's more I feel more creative, I'm starting to spot the triads for Major and Minor chords in these scales too.

I think I've also realised something that I never did before:- I have to spell out the chords with these scales dependant on which chord I'm soloing over, not just run up and down the scale shape aimlessly (does that sound right guys?)

I'm playing anything I can from blues, to rock, and trying fingerstyle too. I've even invested in Lee Hodgeson Hot Country book, and learning a few things from that. Albert Lee is a genius in my opinion btw!

I'm hoping I can use these boards to keep me inspired and to ask for your advice when I get a stuck/bogged down. I really want to keep this wave of playing going.

Well I better get back to work. Happy picking fellow Axemen and Axewomen!

:dude

guitartango
October 13th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Come on you Brits ! :dude

steevc
October 13th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Yay, another Brit!

So how long did you stop playing? I started in my teens and played on and off over the years, but am getting more into it in my 40s. Nothing to do with mid-life crisis, honest.

Robert
October 13th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Welcome aboard!

Yeah, playing scales up and and down doesn't sound so great, but picking out the chords notes, playing triads, etc, makes lines so much more musical. Keep at it!

Kodiak3D
October 13th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Welcome, @nthony!

mrmudcat
October 13th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Welcome :happy

Rampant
October 13th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Greetings @nt

Welcome to the fret, matey. I'm sure you'll like it here - there's a lot of friendly people with loads of good advice and an astonishing lack of the other kind of internet forum user :D

Big up the UK.

sunvalleylaw
October 13th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Welcome @nthony! Nice intro!

Spudman
October 13th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Wecome @nt. Congratulations on coming back to the world of guitar. It's a good thing. :agree Let us know how we can help you anytime.

Brian Krashpad
October 13th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Welcome Anthony!

It's never too late to come back to guitar!

Monkus
October 13th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Welcome. :pancake

@nthony
October 13th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the very warm welcome folks.

I hung up the telecaster for about 7 years (I'm now 29) and I'm really pleased to be back playing again.

You'll probably see alot of me on these forums in the future.

I also run. But wouldn't keep up with Robert. You're very fast! I have done 3 half marathons the most scenic (and my most fastest) being the Mull of Kintrye in Scotland. Queue the bagpipes and Paul McCartney!

I'm running one more half marathon this year in December and a full marathon in Stratford-upon-Avon (Shakespeare Country) next April!

evenkeel
October 13th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Welcome to the gang. :applause

Great Intro. :AOK :AOK

bigG
October 13th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Welcome aboard, @nthony! :dude

luvmyshiner
October 13th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Welcome aboard

Perfect Stranger
October 14th, 2009, 05:52 AM