PDA

View Full Version : Callaham Strat upgrade kit

kipper
October 13th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Having read about the improvements the Callaham parts can make to a Strat, I took the plunge a little while back and bought the American Standard Strat "Premium Upgrade Kit". This kit comprises vintage style saddles (replacing the horrible "block" saddles that came stock on my '06 USA Strat), a new trem block, a shorter trem arm (known as the "64" in reference to a trem arm from a 1964 Strat) and a set of trem block springs.

I also bought a standard Fender length trem arm. Both the "64" and standard length Callaham arms are designed specifically to work with the Callaham trem block.

When the kit arrived, I was very impressed with the high quality of the parts. After I had my trusted guitar tech fit this to my Strat I have to say, I was VERY pleased with the upgrade. It's helped transform an already very good guitar into an exceptionally good one.

Previously, I'd had locking tuners and Fender Custom Shop pickups retro-fitted to my Strat, which made for some nice improvements already, but the Callaham kit has made a big difference in many other ways - especially to the sustain and resonance of the guitar.

The guitar itself feels so much nicer to play, in fact at the moment I can't put it down! As an added bonus, tuning stability also seems improved - perhaps this is because of the geometry of the trem block? - and of course aesthetically the improvement is significant. My guitar now looks like a proper Strat. Those wretched block saddles and lousy black screws are history!!

I'm still getting used to the shorter "64" trem arm but so far I really do like it. I am also impressed by how little play the new arm has, compared to the stock arm (which had way too much play in it for my liking). I haven't tried the standard Fender length arm that I also bought from Callaham yet, for the time being I'm really enjoying getting used to the "64".

Bill Callaham was extremely helpful and responded very quickly to all of my questions. My order was despatched promptly and very well packaged. I would happily recommend this upgrade for a Stratocaster without hesitation. The improvements are not only worthwhile, but very good value for money in my opinion. My only regret is that I didn't buy this kit sooner!

Mymindsok
October 22nd, 2009, 05:24 PM
Having read about the improvements the Callaham parts can make to a Strat, I took the plunge a little while back and bought the American Standard Strat "Premium Upgrade Kit". Snip..

When the kit arrived, I was very impressed with the high quality of the parts. After I had my trusted guitar tech fit this to my Strat I have to say, I was VERY pleased with the upgrade. It's helped transform an already very good guitar into an exceptionally good one.Snip...

Previously, I'd had locking tuners and Fender Custom Shop pickups retro-fitted to my Strat, which made for some nice improvements already, but the Callaham kit has made a big difference in many other ways - especially to the sustain and resonance of the guitar. Snip...

I'm glad that you had good results with your Callaham swap because some people have been calling me crazy for saying the same things after I pulled out the Fender Vintage Trem in my EJ strat and installed the Callaham parts.

The Callaham assembly is made from superior materials, it's better engineered (Compare the new saddles to the stock bent steel ones and you'll see what I'm talking about. The Callaham ones have a much longer slot.) and it's heavier.

My EJis started out as a very good one, so I was very curious as to whether the new parts would yield any improvments but the difference was readily apparent. Now the EJ has much better sustain and more of the woody resonence that these guitars are supposed to have.

After having lived with the Callaham mods for a couple of weeks, I've decided to go back and do the other mods that Eric Johnson does to his guitars, starting by removing the finish from under the Trem and checking/cleaning up the neck pocket. I havnt considered removing the finish under the pick guard but hey.... Once you get started...! :rotflmao: