PDA

View Full Version : Do you leave your guitars out or put them in their case?

Tone2TheBone
August 31st, 2006, 03:16 PM
Or both? For me it's both but I always have at least one guitar sitting in my livingroom chair at all times.

Robert
August 31st, 2006, 03:43 PM
I hang them on the walls.

duhvoodooman
August 31st, 2006, 04:32 PM
Mine sit in floorstands, for quick access! :DR

ted s
August 31st, 2006, 04:40 PM
2 in a stand downstairs, one laying on a bed upstairs.

duhvoodooman
August 31st, 2006, 04:50 PM
.....one laying on a bed upstairs.
Uh-oh, high kink factor warning! :eek:

Tim
August 31st, 2006, 05:56 PM
I got one hanging and one in a stand in the computer room. The acoustic is in a stand in the bedroom. The semi-hollow body is in it's case under the bed. It needs protected from the grandchildren.

ted s
August 31st, 2006, 05:57 PM
oops, secret is out now .

warren0728
August 31st, 2006, 06:30 PM
mine hang on the walls of my music room...

Tone2TheBone
August 31st, 2006, 06:59 PM
Warren - You win. Your musical habitat is a work of ART man! I get a kick out of seeing your music room pics!

warren0728
August 31st, 2006, 07:07 PM
well it sure gets more use as a music room than it did as a formal dining room! The kids (and their friends love it) and of course so do i. We have a karaoke machine in the room too....it gets pretty noisey when the kids and their friends start up the karaoke and plugin the guitars and play the piano and grab the percussion instruments.... :eek:

Mark
August 31st, 2006, 08:36 PM
I hang em high. That way when we get earthquakes they can swing like in a nice rythmic fashion.... Ahh Kalifornia, home of the original shake and bake.

Spudman
August 31st, 2006, 09:03 PM
I keep 5 hanging in the living room and a couple (2) in stands there too. I have 5 hanging in the studio/computer room with 4 more in stands. 1 hangs in the bedroom and 1 in the shower (just kidding about the shower).

My reasoning is twofold: If I get an idea I'm ready to go, and if the guitars are out and can be constantly resonating from TV., stereo, etc. in the environment then it enhances their tonal qualities in the long run. Similar to playing a guitar all the time. I'm just letting nature do some of the work for me.

tremoloman
September 1st, 2006, 10:09 AM
Since I live in New England, the weather wreaks havoc on instruments unless they are not kept in a steady climate. I plan on creating a guitar room and hanging each of them up for display and easy access in the future. For now I rotate a single guitar that I leave on a stand in my living room. This week it's the '62 Jazzmaster.

tremoloman
September 1st, 2006, 10:15 AM
mine hang on the walls of my music room...Nice room brother! It looks straight out of that TLC Trading Spaces show. Man that looks sweet!

Tone2TheBone
September 1st, 2006, 10:44 PM
....My reasoning is twofold: If I get an idea I'm ready to go, and if the guitars are out and can be constantly resonating from TV., stereo, etc. in the environment then it enhances their tonal qualities in the long run. Similar to playing a guitar all the time. I'm just letting nature do some of the work for me.

Steve - Man I really subscribe to your idea. I'm facinated that you mentioned this.

If I had the room I'd keep all my guitars out all the time...as it is I don't. I'm only able to keep one of my guitars (revolving order) out at one time sitting in my chair. I hope to start building my own music room in the Spring of this coming year and I would really like to hire Warren as creative design consultant on this venture. :)

warren0728
September 2nd, 2006, 04:57 AM
I would really like to hire Warren as creative design consultant on this venture. :)

lol....will design for gear!! :cool:

ww

Iago
September 2nd, 2006, 08:54 AM
holly s*** Warren, your music room is awesome.. I wanna have something like that for me in the future...

two of them stay in their bags (one is in Brazil) and the Tele is always next to my bed, leaning against the wall, so the first thing i do when i wake up is playing her a bit...:p

warren0728
September 2nd, 2006, 08:58 AM
since there have been so many coments on my music room here are a couple of other angles that are on my .mac website.

http://homepage.mac.com/warren0728/PhotoAlbum14.html

also...at the menu at the top click on "iago's guitar quest" to see pics of iago and myself picking out a guitar for him....

this is for the new members because us oldtimers have already seen these....

ww

Tinky-Winky
September 10th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Since I've only got one crummy squier, I just leave it lying around; on the floor, resting against the wall etc. The upside of this is that it has a reliced finish, the downside is that the neck got bashed once and now is a little loose.

Carlström
September 13th, 2006, 06:25 AM
During the part of the year that the sun can really heat up my apartment i leave them in their cases in my wardrobe (only used for storing musicgear lol). the rest of the year i keep 3 guitars out in the studio for easy grab and go.

t_ross33
September 13th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Depends if we are busy gigging or practicing, in which case (no pun intended) they pretty much stay boxed up as I'm moving them around lots and not playing them at home as much.

When we have more down-time I keep one of my acoustics, my electric and my bass on a triple stand in my living room, along with my amps etc. so they are easy to pick up and noodle with.

We will be house shopping soon as we are quickly running out of space (3 pre-teen daughters). One prerequisite is space for a music room (you're my hero Warren).

Trev

warren0728
September 13th, 2006, 10:50 AM
One prerequisite is space for a music room (you're my hero Warren).

gee...shucks....thanks (shuffles feet and looks at the ground)....

i have updated pics of my room since i had to hang my les paul and my new artcore....

http://homepage.mac.com/warren0728/PhotoAlbum18.html

ww

ibanez_freak36
September 23rd, 2006, 09:09 AM
:) well as for me I like to hang them on the wall above my amps with the proper hangers, for looks and easy access, also have 2 in the stand in the bandroom my Strat that I gave to my son in his room in a stand upstairs, as for my Bassist he leaves it in the stand next to his amp.................the freak

tot_Ou_tard
September 23rd, 2006, 09:30 AM
Warren - You win. Your musical habitat is a work of ART man! I get a kick out of seeing your music room pics!
Me too! I dig that room.

Ummm...do I spy the kitchen behind that "wall" with the keyboard?!?

Man! You should seal that sucka' completely *off*. Who knows? You may be makin' pancakes in there!

Me, I keep my two guitars in their gig bags with the straps on. I don't have the room to leave them out & I am trying to minimize the delay between guitar desire & it's sonic climax.

M29
September 23rd, 2006, 10:11 AM
Awesome room ww, I am trying to figure a way to hang things up off the floor as well but my room is pretty small. I like seeing this kind of stuff, others workshops are interesting as well.

M29

warren0728
September 23rd, 2006, 05:59 PM
Ummm...do I spy the kitchen behind that "wall" with the keyboard?!?

Man! You should seal that sucka' completely *off*. Who knows? You may be makin' pancakes in there!
yep...that's the kitchen you see....all out in the open and stuff....my naked pancake making days are over....that was "before kids"....they did hear the story and kid me about it everytime we have pancakes!!! (and they are only 7 and 9)....

ww

warren0728
September 23rd, 2006, 06:03 PM
Awesome room ww

thanks.....my wife and i had a blast doing that room....the real story behind it is that i took my daughter skating ione saturday and a kid fell behind me and kicked my skates out from underneath me and i ended up severly dislocating my elbow. So i sat (and laid) on the couch for about a month with a cast from my fingers to my shoulder and ate a couple percocets every 4 hours. Got tired of watching the news and i can't stand daytime tv (except for springer) so i started watching HGTV. after a month of watching other people make cool rooms i figured i could too.....so when i was out of the cast and off the percs patty and i went to work and that's what we came up with!!

ww

Tone2TheBone
September 23rd, 2006, 06:20 PM
Love that story Warren. *thumbs up* :)

Tim
September 23rd, 2006, 08:07 PM
Ok Warren. I know trhe truth behind the story. I think you need to share the credit with someone who is very talented when it comes to interior decorating !!!! Sorry I am a man of truth.!!!!

warren0728
September 23rd, 2006, 08:11 PM
my wife and i had a blast doing that room....

so when i was out of the cast and off the percs patty and i went to work and that's what we came up with!!
hey tim...i DID give credit where credit is due.... :)