PDA

View Full Version : New Bob Dylan Christmas album!

Perfect Stranger
October 13th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Has anyone heard this POS? It is so overwhelmingly bad that
it is laughable. What's next....American Idol?

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Heart-Bob-Dylan/dp/B002MW50KO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1255438747&sr=8-1

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61T0jThEPwL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

So very sad......:(

Tig
October 13th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I know Bob is Jewish by birth, but does anyone know what religion he practices, if different?

// I've never been a big fan, but appreciate his song writing, well, at least his early song writing!
I'll be nice and just say that I don't enjoy his vocals, however.

Brian Krashpad
October 13th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I know Bob is Jewish by birth, but does anyone know what religion he practices, if different?

He converted to Christianity a long time ago.

Perfect Stranger
October 13th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I think it depends on which decade you're talking about. He changes religion
pretty religiously....:D

Brian Krashpad
October 13th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I think it depends on which decade you're talking about. He changes religion
pretty religiously....:D

He's always been intentionally vague about things, a rare exception has been when he converted. He has studied with the Lubbavitchers in Israel since, which he kept mum about, no doubt to encourage speculation that his conversion didn't take. Because Bob does stuff like that. However, when subsequently asked about it, he has said that he was studying as a Christian, not a convert (back) to Judaism.

It's my understanding that many Jews who convert to Christianity celebrate in both traditions, since one grew out of the other. A Jewish Christian church once visited my church and essentially showed us how their service went, and it included bringing in a Torah in procession in an ark as is also done in synagogues, prayers and singing in Hebrew, the shofar, etc. It would not surprise me if Bob's faith is a similar amalgam.

evenkeel
October 13th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Not exactly Bob's best. I'm a huge Dylan fan, boot leg albums and all, so this is very unsettling. FWIW I think Bob's so called middle period has some great songwriting, "Blood on the Tracks" comes to mind. And his recent work, Modern Times has some wonderful tunes. That first group however, Bob Dylan thru Blonde on Blonde is epic.

Bob converted to Christianity in the late 70's. Released a couple of albums that acknowledged the conversion. Slow Train Coming was the first and the tune "Gotta Serve Somebody" won a grammy. John Lennon wrote "Serve Yourself" as a response. Dylan of course has long history of writing songs about people he's P.O.'d at.

ragnarpk
October 13th, 2009, 11:59 AM
as soon as you find yourself making christmas albums, i think it's time to rethink where you're at in your career.

sunvalleylaw
October 13th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I personally enjoy Christmas music, but I would think Bob's voice would be more suited for some off the beaten track Celtic/Irish/Welsh sort of carols or something like that. Not the same old regulars everyone else covers.

bigG
October 13th, 2009, 02:16 PM
IMHO, Bob Dylan has earned the right to do anything he wants to do. And I don't think he really cares what anyone else thinks. If he wants to put out a Christmas album, he does so b/c he wants to. He couldn't care less if it sells or what kind of reviews it gets. :cool:

Again, IMHO, his last, and one of his best, GREAT albums was Time Out of Mind. And I have 'em all, whether on vinyl, CD and/or SACD. :drool

My 2 centavos...

Perfect Stranger
October 14th, 2009, 04:37 AM
You may be correct on all points. Doesn't change the fact that it is crap. Nor the fact that only a few diehard fans could possibly stand owning it.

bigG
October 14th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I listened to it on Rhapsody this AM, and, I quite like it. :what

When I wrote the above post, I hadn't even heard a snippet yet.

I may be the odd man out here (not unusual), but I'll likely buy the CD. :crazyguy

R_of_G
October 14th, 2009, 09:16 AM
i haven't heard it yet and i doubt it will be something i would enjoy as i don't particularly care for christmas music, but i love dylan, and what i love most about dylan is that i don't think he cares whether we like it or not. he records what he wants to record.

i also think his most recent non-xmas album together through life is fantastic. he's actually got a string of three or four of his most recent albums that are all excellent.

sumitomo
October 14th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Well you can always use it to start the yule log.Sumi:D