PDA

View Full Version : EMG 85 + SA + TM-10 techie

deeaa
October 13th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Well, I can't play leads to save my life but here's random ramblings I just recorded to show in 1 minute how I try to use a single sound to play many different styles and show my current 'home' playing sound. I change between neck and bridge pups or blend them for variation. I added another short addition for quick 'metal' playing with the same sound and how it clears up when played nicer as an afterthought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDk8CXW3oSk

So this is the TM-10 and my 'frankenstrat'.
I use the same idea with my Ceriatone, I basically try hard to only use one sound and no FX, but on the Ceria I also get clean sounds. Hm...I should have recorded a few chordings just now with half guitar volume...it gives a very good 'british' power ring chord sound.

But the Tech-21 doesn't do any cleans, really...I'd have to manually change the sound for that. On the ceria I can change channels for even cleaner sounds...but I never really play too clean. But - I hope it is also noticeable even from this camcorder clip - in my sound preference sound there is no 'fizzzz', at least not that higher, super-annoying buzz that like 99% of gainy sounds have on them. I dunno if it's my ears but I just can't stand that buzz. I want gainy/no buzz :-)

Oh yeah the sound comes from both the TM-10 and the line out > PC and out via the PC monitor speakers...I always play like that to get a more 'wide' sound than just the single 8".

marnold
October 13th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Pretty flexible! That's the kind of thing I'm coming to appreciate more as I get older (and hopefully wiser).

deeaa
October 13th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Yeah Tech-21's are amazingly good IMO. If I were looking for an entirely new rig, one guitar, one amp for anything...I'd probably get me a Tech-21 TM-60 and an U.S. Strat over anything else.

They're just so handy, sound great and hassle-free even D/I...but I love my Ceriatone, it's about as good as a tube amp can be, but sometimes I'm still tempted to sell it and just get a techie. BUT naah...even if it's much harder to record and can't be played at home and takes a lot of room...well there's nothing like standing in front of an all tube head and a 4x12" and just play. Still, if I didn't have that, I'd listen to the voice of reason and go techie all the way.

You know, what would be very cool would be to get another amp for cleans only and A/B between the Techie tenner and that. It'd need a mixer as well, and a D/I box...I could build a bigger, fake 'amp' inside of which I could have the two amps, and mic that and also get a D/I. I've wondered about getting me a Roland Cube for the cleans. I've had a few, a H&K and a ValveJr. which were nice for cleans, but I suppose a Cube would be handy and in the same volume bracket as the TM-10.

How cool would that be...

TM-10 into a Behringer G100 D/I into a mixer...
Cube onto the same mixer...

Mixer outputs to PA...and the whole shebang built into a fake combo as id 2x12" so soundmen could mix it with two mikes clean and dirty side too :-)

marnold
October 13th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah, a Tech 21 was on my short list when I got my Vox, but I couldn't find anyone around here that carried them so I couldn't try one for myself. I was leery of buying an amph sight unseen (hearing unlistened?).