PDA

View Full Version : Which amp matches up favorably to the SCXD?

Perfect Stranger
October 13th, 2009, 09:40 AM
What amp would you say matches up well against the Fender SCXD? It doesn't necessarily
have to have any effects or modeling like the SCXD other than reverb possibly, just needs to
sound as good and be comparable to the SCXD. The reason I ask is that I have a Fender SCXD
with a Ragin' Cajun that I'm considering trading and I want to know what I should be looking for
as for as a good trade or replacement.

What are your opinions? :goodjob

markb
October 13th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Princeton Reverb reissue? If you want louder, Deluxe Reverb reissue. You'll need a pedal or two for dirt.

birv2
October 13th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Depends what you're looking for and what you want to get out of it. Since the SCXD is really about 15 different amps, what sound are you going for?

I love my Pro Jr. No reverb, but it's in the same price range and is all tube.

hubberjub
October 13th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Princeton Reverb reissue? If you want louder, Deluxe Reverb reissue. You'll need a pedal or two for dirt.

Great suggestion. You can also find some good deals on silver face Princetons as well.

markb
October 13th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Great suggestion. You can also find some good deals on silver face Princetons as well.

True. One of the best amps I ever played through was a sf Princeton amp (i.e. no reverb). Just promise me you'll never, ever use the pull gain feature :nono:

Perfect Stranger
October 14th, 2009, 04:44 AM
All I'm really looking for is a nice combo tube amp with great cleans, possibly
reverb, and one or two 12" speakers. Doesn't have to be incredibly loud, or
modeling, or be a corksniffer boutique amp.

Spudman
October 14th, 2009, 07:12 AM

Then check out the Bugera V22.

Perfect Stranger
October 14th, 2009, 08:11 AM
That sounds just like what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Spudman
October 14th, 2009, 09:14 AM
That sounds just like what I'm looking for. Thanks!
The only problem is that most places are out of them and won't have any for a couple of weeks. I'm waiting for mine now too. Still, you can order with the 20% off Musicians Friend coupon and they wont charge your card until it ships. The coupon is only good until the last day of October.

Nelskie
October 14th, 2009, 11:26 AM
It sounds like you've already made up your mind on selling your SCXD. Having had one myself for about a year and a half, I can honestly say that it's an indispensible part of my amp arsenal. It does so many things well that I have no problem overlooking the things it can't do, or does moderately well, for the sake of its strong points. Most importantly, it flat-out has the umistakable feel and response of a genuine tube amp - which it is, though with the help of some digital accoutrements.

First - Ch. 1's pristine Blackface clean. Unless you want to parlay some major lettuce for a vintage Fender or a newer re-issue, you'll look long and hard to find a better version of that particular tone at the same price point. Another thing I did with my amp as far as mods go (*and I did the Ragin' Cajun' speaker change, too) was change out the pre-amp tube from the stock Fender unit to a New Sensor version Tung Sol. I think that change really made a big difference, as the clean tones really "pop" now - esp. with a Strat or a Tele.

Finally, to achieve a "larger" sound with the SCXD (*and for its diminutive size - it already sounds BIG), I purchased a nice 2x12 extension cabinet (8 ohm) to run off of the speaker out. As luck would have it, the cab came loaded with Jensen speakers (a C12N and a Mod) - which accentuate the classic Fender tones to a tee. I couldn't be happier. Pound-for-pound, the SCXD is unmatched in my book. It's easily the best-sounding small amp I've ever played - modeling or otherwise, and that's probably a given for anyone whose tastes run deeply in the Fender camp - like mine do. I am sure you've already deduced that my vote would be to keep it - because I think you may find yourself wishing you had later.

However, if you aren't satisfied with the SCXD, or just want something else, I'd suggest that you consider getting an all-tube amp - like a Peavey Classic 30. From your gear sig, it looks like you have plenty of effects pedals, so you'll have variety of tonal options with a capable two-channel / spring-reverb equipped rig like the Classic. Small enough to haul around, plenty of wattage for smaller gigs (*bigger if mic'ed), tasty tweed aesthetics, and made in the good ol' US of A down Mississippi way. It's also reasonably-priced, with used / well-cared-for versions going on Ebay for $350 - $400. And here's a tip - if you want to add some of that classic Fender "flavor" to the Classic's already excellent tone, all you need to do is score yourself one of Boss' new Legend Series FBM-1 or FDR-1 pedals, and trust me - that dog'll hunt. Big time. Good luck on your search.

marnold
October 14th, 2009, 11:50 AM
In light of Nelskie's comments and what I've heard from others (and from rereading your original post), what don't you like about the SCXD?

Good seeing you, Nelskie!

Perfect Stranger
October 14th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Actually, it's not so much that I don't like it.....I just find myself not using any of the effects and playing on the clean channel.
So I was thinking I may find something else I like as well, or even better. And it's really not a done deal......just looking at options.

markb
October 14th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I'll stick with my Princeton suggestion, get a 12" fitted, there's room in that cab. You won't get Fender style cleans out of the EL84 amps mentioned above, excellent though they are.

Brian Krashpad
October 16th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Nelskie's suggestion of a Peavey Classic 30 is what I was gonna say.

tot_Ou_tard
October 18th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Very cool to see you back Nelsk!

I've never played an SCXD, so I cannot comment on that front.
Except to say that I would personally look seriously at a Princeton as Mark sez.

Or if you had the cash, a clone like the Headstrong Lil King.

I have a Gries 5 which is based on a Blackface Champ and has a 12" speaker that meets my limited needs perfectly.

It has a gain knob that dials the tonestack (treble/bass) out of the circuit to get a tweed vibe. It also has a very usable master volume.