PDA

View Full Version : Eczema on my right hand

Robert
October 13th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I have got :what ?

Yep, I think I've got some eczema on my right hand. Just on two knuckles. Our teenager is grossed out about it, and it itches a bit. The skin is red and flaky.

I am applying some vaseline and it moisturizes the skin and makes it feel better.

Anyone else here having eczema problems? Any tips or suggestions?

mjk123
October 13th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I use the following: http://www.amlactin.com/products.html and it works well for me.

Robert
October 13th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks, mjk.

FrankenFretter
October 13th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I've struggled with eczema for years. I finally got a prescription for Clobetasol, which I have to apply twice daily. Doesn't really help all that much, though. I have a spot on the back of my right knee that was thought to be eczema, but after three biopsies, including two that were sent to the University of Washington for analysis, they still don't really know what it is. Their advice: Don't scratch it. That's easy for someone that doesn't have that insane itch.

I hope your condition is more benign, Robert. Usually some cortizone cream helps with the minor stuff.

-Sean

Spudman
October 13th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Our daughter had excema ever since birth. She is now excema free without any prescriptions.

sumitomo
October 13th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Robert I work on cars and wash my hands about 20 times a day and in the colder months my hands crack and bleed,it hurts to play even.Yours are not this extreme but I use bag balm,It works.For me I smear my hands up and put on rubber gloves at night.You would just need a little on your knucks.Sumi:D

deeaa
October 13th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Yeah, I dunno what the hell I have but I noticed some sort of eczema or psoriasis or something on my left calf over a year ago. Now I have some on my scalp and also on my face in red spots here and there. They get red, dry and the skin kinda rises a little and then they get this silvery flaking. I've gotten three different cortisone creams for 'em, the less potent the more visible the spot. I wish they'll go away; the one on the leg is finally pretty much gone but the ones on the scap are kinda itchy.

They told me sometimes stress causes such conditions, and that could well be, as we just had a new son and it's been very stressful and worrisome as there have been many issues about it.

I'm not so particular about how I look but it's pretty annoying to have a greasy face with red areas anyhow, sure. And the ones in the scalp itch too. I guess I have to go see a doctor again, although I'm pretty sure they'll just tell me to keep applying the cortisone lotions.

Over here it's not very common or easy to get help for, like, visual ailments...doctors just say that hey, it won't hurt you or anyone, until you start to look like Frankenstein or something, LOL. If it's mainly visual, what does it matter is the thinking.

Retro Hound
October 13th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I got a prescription for something called elocon cream (or ointment), in the generic it's only about $1.50 tube, but you're in Canada so it may be free. I've got it pretty mild so it works great. Hydrocortisone cream also works if it's really mild and you want over-the-counter stuff.

luvmyshiner
October 13th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I use Cetaphil which works 95% of the time. I also have a prescription for Clobetasol for those times in the winter months when it gets really bad and won't go away.

peachhead
October 13th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Allergies cause my hands to get pretty rough, plus like Sumi I wash my hands tons of times during the day. When it gets cold they get worse. I have a prescription for betamethasone and it works great- grease 'em up at night and normally in the morning they feel much better. The regular hydrocort creams don't work near as well for me though.

rylanmartin
October 13th, 2009, 10:22 PM
This would probably sound completely unconnected, but try taking cod liver oil capsules (faithfully and daily) and after 3 weeks you'll notice a huge skin change.

Every winter (especially in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) it gets soooo dry here and my hands often crack and bleed, or at least they did until I started taking the cod liver oil.

I don't know how it works but it's nice to not have to try and play guitar with stinging pain from a cracked hand.

pes_laul
October 14th, 2009, 04:18 AM
OK maybe I need to pay more attention in science or something but what exactly is this "eczema" you speak of?

sumitomo
October 14th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Pes it's dry patchy skin,Rylan I am going to try that cause that happens to me every winter,and it's no fun trying to play with dry cracked hands.Thanks Sumi:D

peachhead
October 14th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Rylan, I may just try that. Thanks for the tip!

Tone2TheBone
October 14th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Yeah, I dunno what the hell I have but I noticed some sort of eczema or psoriasis or something on my left calf over a year ago. Now I have some on my scalp and also on my face in red spots here and there. They get red, dry and the skin kinda rises a little and then they get this silvery flaking. I've gotten three different cortisone creams for 'em, the less potent the more visible the spot. I wish they'll go away; the one on the leg is finally pretty much gone but the ones on the scap are kinda itchy.

They told me sometimes stress causes such conditions, and that could well be, as we just had a new son and it's been very stressful and worrisome as there have been many issues about it.

I'm not so particular about how I look but it's pretty annoying to have a greasy face with red areas anyhow, sure. And the ones in the scalp itch too. I guess I have to go see a doctor again, although I'm pretty sure they'll just tell me to keep applying the cortisone lotions.

Over here it's not very common or easy to get help for, like, visual ailments...doctors just say that hey, it won't hurt you or anyone, until you start to look like Frankenstein or something, LOL. If it's mainly visual, what does it matter is the thinking.

Sounds like psoriasis. It's hereditary does any of your family have it? I got some weird rash on my shins...mostly on the right side. Rash that dries but doesn't get red or bleed. My grandfather, mother, uncles, cousins have it too. Weird stuff.

djmcconnell
October 14th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Got it, too. I use a prescription lotion called Fluocinonide. Greasy stuff, so just it at bedtime, but works really well (when I can be bothered to use it).

Barre Fly
October 15th, 2009, 03:15 PM
My daughter has had eczema since she was a baby, about 80% of infantile eczema cases clear up and vanish, but she's stuck with it unfortunately.

There is no "cure" as such, all you can do is relieve it and use hydrocortisone on parts that get infected. It's not a good idea to use it too frequently though, as long term it thins the skin.

Keep the area moisturised and for the itching you can try an antihistamine or soak in a bath of chamomile tea...seriously! :D

otaypanky
October 16th, 2009, 09:54 PM
There may also be something in your diet that is beginning to cause the reaction. People often develop sensitivities to foods they have always enjoyed. After a lifetime of certain foods, sometimes the body becomes unable to process them efficiently as before.
I have always loved milk. I would sometimes drink most of a gallon in a day. Of course I always thought it was healthy and good for me. I started getting red itchy patches from time to time, especially in colder weather, once the heating system started to kick in. An itchy scalp at night time was another thing that started, and frequent indigestion was a common occurance.
Well, for some reason or other I stopped drinking milk the way I was. Before long, all of the above conditions were gone. I haven't quit drinking milk, I simply drink it occassionally now.
Family friends, a Chinese couple who are both chiropractors and into holistic medicine, tested me for food allergies. They used a simple technique of muscle resistance testing. The test can be performed by anyone anywhere. It will tell you what food(s) you are overly sensitive to and what you should avoid. It helped me regain my previous energy levels, lose pockets of body fat I couldn't lose through excercise, and eliminated my cravings for sweets and certain foods.

Robert
October 17th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Thanks for all the tips. I started applying Vaseline this week, and it seems to work. The problem is starting to clear up.