PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a tuner or tune by ear

Robert
October 13th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Which way do most often tune your guitar, with a tuner or by ear?

I only use a tuner when recording or gigging, otherwise I tune predominantly by ear.

markb
October 13th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Er, both. I'll use a tuner to "get a note" and then do the rest by ear. On stage it's silent electronic tuning all the way.

sunvalleylaw
October 13th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Tuner, either my handheld Korg, my pedal tuner, my iMac, or my iPhone.

Childbride
October 13th, 2009, 09:48 PM
tuner.

my trombone teacher said i had near to perfect pitch [whether he's right or not i have no idea and would not make that bet], and it makes me witchy about being spot on.

Spudman
October 13th, 2009, 10:58 PM
I'm a tuner guy. I can easily tune by ear and relative pitch and harmonics etc but it's so easy to just plug in and tune in 30 seconds that I don't want to waste time tuning - I'd rather play.:rockon:

Lev
October 14th, 2009, 01:38 AM
When I hear a string going slightly off I usually just correct it by ear but I'll always tune electronically before I start playing.

wingsdad
October 14th, 2009, 08:09 AM
By ear, string-to-string is always the first go since it's easiest to get in the ballpark; as in the old saying "close enough for rock n' roll!"

But with a Boss TU-12H chromatic if an electric needs to be spot-on. For acoustics, a clip-on tuner (Intellitouch IMT-500) works very well. So does a tuning fork, working off the same principles of picking up vibrations. Tap it, rest the ball end on the bridge and match the 5th fret A harmonic; the soundwaves lock in & don't lie.

M29
October 14th, 2009, 08:17 AM
If I have a tuner handy I will use that, if not I tune by ear.

marnold
October 14th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I can tune by ear and get it in tune with itself, but basically I'm with Spud. A tuner removes all inaccuracies and is much quicker. Why waste time?

R_of_G
October 14th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I can tune by ear and get it in tune with itself, but basically I'm with Spud. A tuner removes all inaccuracies and is much quicker. Why waste time?

i'll third this

by ear i can tune a guitar to itself, but i'm never all that positive the first note is "right"

Brian Krashpad
October 14th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Depends on setting and how close I am to begin with. Just picking up and jamming alone in the office there's no need for a tuner, but much more often I'm playing with others, either in practice or performance. In the former I almost always use a tuner, in the latter I always always use one.

Tone2TheBone
October 14th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I hit the little button on the back of the Micro Cube Amp. It's either A440 or Ab. Tune the rest of the strings to the A.

Monkus
October 14th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by marnold

I'm with Spud as well. I always seem to have a funky G or B string that tunes well open, but sounds horrible with chords up the neck. Then I try to retune by ear. I'm kinda of a stickler with tuning though, I like it right.

:R

pes_laul
October 14th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I usually go by ear but when it comes to performances Ill use a tuner

deeaa
October 14th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I'm VERY particular about tune so by machine most of the time. I've spent hours intonating every guitar anyway...by harmonics etc. it never will get as well in tune as with a tuner...so whenever there is one handy, I'll use it.

However I often drop to D and make small corrections to, say high E etc. and you don't need a tuner for small adjustements or drop D etc.

peachhead
October 14th, 2009, 09:48 PM
i'll third this

by ear i can tune a guitar to itself, but i'm never all that positive the first note is "right"

I'll 4th it. My tuner is my friend.

Plank_Spanker
October 15th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Tuner.......................

I keep my guitars set up accurately, so I know they sound right tuned up with my tuner.

player
October 15th, 2009, 05:38 PM
been using my ear for years But had a tuner that recently bit the dust so am looking at an Intellitouch IMT-500 to replace it and my trusty tuning fork.not sure I should pull the trigger on one just yet. :help

kiteman
October 15th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I usually tune by tuner and a good one at that. In fact I have 3, one in each case. Where I play decides how I tune it, like at my friend's shop which was pretty big, I tune up a little sharp because of the way I hear it, it's like a doppler effect. My guitars will be tuned by tuner and as I play I'll be tweaking the keys to get the tone.

You'll know what I mean when you get the chills. :D

Robert
October 15th, 2009, 06:21 PM
been using my ear for years But had a tuner that recently bit the dust so am looking at an Intellitouch IMT-500 to replace it and my trusty tuning fork.not sure I should pull the trigger on one just yet. :help

Have a look at the pitchblack by Korg. It rocks! :applause

street music
October 15th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I rely upon the electronic tuner after I strum once before practice and can hear a difference. I have been with guys who said man you out of tune, but when they check it against my built in Takamine tuner, I'm on the money. I know that the ear is sharp for some people but tones aren't the same for all.
I seem to hear bass notes better than most high notes, is that a common thing with most?

peachhead
October 15th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I bought one of those a while back for my acoustic, and I love it. Works very well on my mandolin, too.

player
October 15th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Have a look at the pitchblack by Korg. It rocks! :applause a tad pricy and a pedal.was thinking a clip on that works in a noisy enviroment - hence the IMT
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/9404ad7f66fcdf68.jpg

Eric
October 15th, 2009, 10:57 PM
I only use a tuner when recording or gigging, otherwise I tune predominantly by ear.

When you do tune by ear, what do you use? Harmonics? I never really learned how to do it G string-to-B string.

I am very dependent on electronic tuners unless it's a small tweak, and that fact kind of bothers me -- I'd like to be good enough by ear to get it right without a PC board, so I'm looking for ideas.

player
October 15th, 2009, 11:25 PM
When you do tune by ear, what do you use? Harmonics? I never really learned how to do it G string-to-B string.

I am very dependent on electronic tuners unless it's a small tweak, and that fact kind of bothers me -- I'd like to be good enough by ear to get it right without a PC board, so I'm looking for ideas.check this link out:http://www.howtotuneaguitar.org/and this:http://www.howtotuneaguitar.org/tuning/how-to-tune/ once you get the hang of it.ya just can't beat having a good ear though.

marnold
October 16th, 2009, 07:11 AM
I used to tune my guitar by ear but it hurt too much.

Sorry.

You do not want to know how Shiner tunes his guitars *shudder*

Robert
October 16th, 2009, 07:15 AM

I am very dependent on electronic tuners unless it's a small tweak, and that fact kind of bothers me -- I'd like to be good enough by ear to get it right without a PC board, so I'm looking for ideas.

No I don't use harmonics. I make sure chords sound correct both played open and higher up on the neck. Playing perfect 4ths and perfect 5ths, you can hear pretty easily if the strings are in tune or not. I have done this for so many years that it's become second nature. I think I'll do a video one day to demonstrate.

kiteman
October 16th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I used to tune my guitar by ear but it hurt too much.

Sorry.

You do not want to know how Shiner tunes his guitars *shudder*

Change your tuner keys to the ones that fits your ear better. :AOK

sumitomo
October 16th, 2009, 08:04 AM
I like to tune my guitar by ear first,them check it with the tuner,to see if its close or on to help me hear the notes.(time permitting)I change from half step down to norm alot.Does Shiner really tune with his nose? Sumi:D

kiteman
October 16th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Does Shiner really tune with his nose? Sumi:D

After a few shiners I don't see why he can't. :rollover

djmcconnell
October 16th, 2009, 11:19 AM
When I hear a string going slightly off I usually just correct it by ear but I'll always tune electronically before I start playing.

Same here!

otaypanky
October 16th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I always use a tuner. If I'm playing out I have a Turbo Tuner in-line between guitar and amp. At home I keep a Boss plugged into to a wall wart so it's always on, using the built in mic. It's up on a shelf it can be viewed from anywhere in my music room, so it's convenient for me and anyone else.

Childbride
October 16th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I like to tune my guitar by ear first,them check it with the tuner,to see if its close or on to help me hear the notes.(time permitting)I change from half step down to norm alot.Does Shiner really tune with his nose? Sumi:D

no. but you really don't want to know how he tunes them, do you?:nope ;)

P.J.
October 29th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Er, both. I'll use a tuner to "get a note" and then do the rest by ear. On stage it's silent electronic tuning all the way.

I do the both thing too. I usually just tune the guitar to itself if I'm home and messing around. I will use the tuner if I'm playing w/ others or restringing the guitar.

=-) PJ