PDA

View Full Version : Don't you hate it when...

Kodiak3D
October 14th, 2009, 08:26 PM
As we all know, playing the guitar (or any instrument) has it's frustrating times. What makes you fret (pun intended)?

I'll go first, since it happened to me tonight.

Don't you hate it when you practice well at home, then go to your guitar lesson and get all butterfingered because you're nervous playing in front of your teacher?

M29
October 14th, 2009, 08:37 PM
K3D, that is what I call a Fret Fart........Have em all the time:thwap

luvmyshiner
October 14th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Fret fart . . . heh, heh, heh . . . I hope I never outgrow fart jokes.:AOK

Spudman
October 14th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Kodiak
Sometimes I have experienced the same thing you have. What I've learned to do in those situations is to just go back to what I know and know well. It will bring my self confidence right back in no time. I get the 'flubs' when I'm attempting something new that I'm not familiar with and I'm in front of someone else that is highly accomplished. I usually start sweating buckets right away. Then I'll just stop and play what I know. Otherwise I freak out and start shooting.:notme

peachhead
October 14th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Fret fart- I like that.

That happened to me regularly when I was taking lessons- irritated the crap out of me then and still does, whenever I play in front of other people. Getting better, though.

Kodiak3D
October 15th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Kodiak
...Otherwise I freak out and start shooting.:notme

You sure it's not just the confidence boost you get from being armed?
:saw:

street music
October 15th, 2009, 04:50 AM
:what Not my big ole boy having FRET fart? Just settle into the idea that he is seeing this kind of stuff all the time. Practice , Practice for what you need to learn on each lesson. It still is a challenge for me to play in front of some people, I know how you feel.

sumitomo
October 15th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Oh man! I know what you mean.I have been playing with a hispanic church,simple open chord stuff,I do not listen to this music all the time (it's not in my head)so when I follow along,I'm trying to learn the words and I can't read spanish as fast a some of the songs go,then bang I'm lost where are we,oops were on stage!Fake it till you can catch up.I'll tell ya it is making me a better player.Keep going.:dude Sumi:D

markb
October 15th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Happens to me in shops with the spotty metal-head standing over me to make sure I don't scratch his employers' precious Epiphone or Squier or worse. Can't play a darn thing :mad:

Plank_Spanker
October 15th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Sometimes you beat the clams, sometimes the clams beat you..............happens to everyone.

NWBasser
October 15th, 2009, 04:36 PM
It's frustrating to me when the band breaks into Slow Ride (Foghat) unannounced, while I'm still wearing my fretless bass. The song has a few slapping/popping parts that don't work well with a fretless.....

Also, when the guitarist ends his solo either too late or too early and I have to make serious adjustments to keep things on track.

Plank_Spanker
October 15th, 2009, 05:05 PM
It's frustrating to me when the band breaks into Slow Ride (Foghat) unannounced, while I'm still wearing my fretless bass. The song has a few slapping/popping parts that don't work well with a fretless.....

Also, when the guitarist ends his solo either too late or too early and I have to make serious adjustments to keep things on track.

Damn guitar players! :rotflmao:

markb
October 15th, 2009, 10:08 PM

A Foghat cover, I'm impressed :AOK

bigoldron
October 16th, 2009, 05:25 AM

I agree with Markb. It's good to know that there are bands who still play the "classics".... :rockon

But, I do know what "fret fart" is all about. Nothing ticks me off worse than to get in front somebody you want to impress and go totally brain dead. :crazyguy :nope

NWBasser
October 16th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I agree with Markb. It's good to know that there are bands who still play the "classics".... :rockon

But, I do know what "fret fart" is all about. Nothing ticks me off worse than to get in front somebody you want to impress and go totally brain dead. :crazyguy :nope

For the most part, I don't care a whole lot what anyone thinks of my playing except my bandmates. But, then I bring my camping guitar out, pick it up by the campfire, and go.......blank....:thwap

It seems all that I can ever think to play on acoustic is Rush's Fly by Night.

I've got to learn some good, fun, camping songs.

Unless I'm noodling in the bedroom (quite the image..) with the acoustic, then I suddenly remember all sorts of material.

NWBasser
October 16th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Damn guitar players! :rotflmao:

Yeah, I should have specified "a" particular guitarist!