PDA

View Full Version : Great Article on The Edge's Stage Gear

Lev
October 15th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Check the last couple of pages for a full list of amps, pedal, racks & guitars.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/u2-exclusive-the-edges-stage-setup-revealed-223342

Plank_Spanker
October 16th, 2009, 06:37 AM
And an entire big rig truck to haul just his gear? :rotflmao:

Overkill - even by rock star standards.

marnold
October 16th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Gadzooks. I thought to cop an Edge tone you'd basically need guitar->digital delay->AC30.

Brian Krashpad
October 16th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Holy crap.

Man that's a lotta stuff. All those effects would drive me mad. Lucky he has a tech to do a lot of the switching for him. Not to mention string changes. I can't believe he restrings everything on a daily basis.

Lev
October 16th, 2009, 07:23 AM
the funny thing is that his sound isn't that radically different now compared with the early 80's when it was just Explorer -> EH Memory Man ->AC30.

steevc
October 16th, 2009, 07:47 AM
The whole U2 tour seems to be over the top with them having several of their massive stages so they can put them up in advance.

I can understand wanting particular gear in the studio, but are the audience going to notice the differences between all those guitars, let alone if the strings were used for a couple of shows or if he's using cable or wireless.

Maybe Edge doesn't feel he can play at his best without that gear, and he can obviously afford it. I'd be happy with a couple of guitars and a decent amp, but I'm in no danger of doing a world tour.

Spudman
October 16th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Sounds like the Edge is the typical insecure artist type. Being in front of tens of thousands of fans is a pretty daunting thing. I think psychologically the gear is a security blanket for him. It's his 'home base' where he feels grounded and safe. The story with his AC30 is that it fried one time and he sent his tech to the airport with another first class seat ticket just for the amph to get it fixed immediately.