PDA

View Full Version : Demo video of a really great overdrive pedal - ZYS Mk II

Robert
October 15th, 2009, 08:46 AM
The ZYS Mk II.... the king of tube screamers. :dude

I was just messing around at home with the camera on, using my Suhr Classic and my Marshall JVM410H.

i6Q60TFGINo

bigG
October 15th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Says the video is not available, boss. :thwap

duhvoodooman
October 15th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Works now. There appears to be a bit of a lag between when the video is uploaded and when it's available to view.

Two comments:

1) OH, YEAH!!! :AOK :beavisnbutthead: :applause

2) How come mine doesn't sound this good?? Oh, wait a minute, I think I know.... :thwap :o

Blaze
October 15th, 2009, 09:44 AM
2) How come mine doesn't sound this good?? Oh, wait a minute, I think I know.... :thwap :o

Ya right the guy is good...but i d like Rob to make reviews with some much standard gears .
i mean a Standard Fender(Shur sounds too good) and a average guy amp.(not an amazing sounding Marshall) like is Reverend..
+ a little Humbucker segment could be cool too.
.No offense Rob , great stuff as usual..:applause :applause

This pedal sounds great anyway,love that boost...

Just my 2 cents..

Monkus
October 15th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Great tones Robert !!! (now if I could only play like that.)

:nope

marnold
October 15th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Nice tonal overview, I just wished that the camera was zoomed in closer on the pedal so I knew exactly what you were tweaking. I assume that the first time you used the boost you were running it boost->overdrive?

bigG
October 15th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Oh yeah! Sure is Zonkin', definitely yellowish, and she's a screamer! Good job Robert, and DVM, too! :AOK

Robert
October 15th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I re-uploaded the thing, after fixing my SpeLing mistake... :)

sumitomo
October 16th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Nice tone Robert (and playing as well).Sumi:D

duhvoodooman
October 16th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I assume that the first time you used the boost you were running it boost->overdrive?
Sure looked & sounded that way. The camera volume attenuator Robert is using makes the clip sound great, but it has one downside--it hides some of the volume difference between settings. In "real life", when you go from boost->OD to OD->boost, there's generally a significant volume increase, since the boost stage is then driving the pedal output directly rather than pumping up the signal going into the OD stage. Same thing with the middle position of the clipping toggle switch (the bottom one). The middle position is a diode "lift", i.e. it removes the clipping diodes from the circuit. That has the dual effect of making the output cleaner and quite a bit louder, since no part of the signal is clipped to ground. On the video, the difference is fairly subtle. In person, it's anything but. But that's the compromise that has to be made to get a great sounding video overall.

Tig
October 16th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Nice tonal overview, I just wished that the camera was zoomed in closer on the pedal so I knew exactly what you were tweaking. I assume that the first time you used the boost you were running it boost->overdrive?

Try going to YouTube for this video and clicking on the HD at the lower right of the video screen to select the HD version. If you want even closer/larger click the full screen square right next to the HD button.

I believe, but could be wrong, that the sound quality is also improved with many HD versions of YouTube videos.

I know my BYOC boost/OD doesn't sound as good... I lack the Suhr, the Marshall, and certainly Robert's talent! Great demo Robert!

Robert
October 16th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Thanks guys, I have 3 great tools here - the Suhr, the Marshall and the ZYS Mk II - can't really go wrong! :applause

duhvoodooman
October 16th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I know my BYOC boost/OD doesn't sound as good... I lack the Suhr, the Marshall, and certainly Robert's talent!
....not to mention that mystical DVM mojo I include in all my builds! ;) :D