PDA

View Full Version : How about a little Chet?

jpfeifer
October 16th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I've learned so much from trying to play some of Chet's style. It's a life-long endeavor for me. I've managed to get some of his style under my fingers but I'm barely scratching the surface. Watch this clip and see how effortless he makes it look. Listen to all the great chord voicings he uses in this example, and how smooth he plays. It's great to see some of this old footage of his live performance. It makes me want to buy a Gretch. He sounds so good on it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lsGb52-f768&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lsGb52-f768&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Robert
October 16th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Ah, yes this is good. Thanks Jim.

Although I thought you were referring to another great Chet (Baker) when I saw the title of this thread!

@nthony
October 17th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Check out the 'Galloping Guitar' by Chet Atkins too... absolute genius!

ZMAN
October 17th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Check out the CD with him and Mark Knofler "Neck and Neck." A tasty bit of guitar pickin to say the least.

Blaze
October 17th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Tommy is a Chick-Boom thumb style ace too..The Chet succession is good..

Zzia9YZsrIw&feature

marnold
October 17th, 2009, 11:18 AM
How those two do all of that is completely beyond me. My brain keeps saying, "There's an extra hidden guitarist somewhere!" It doesn't make me want to burn my guitars, but I look at them and say, "I could never ever do that. Ever."

bigG
October 17th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Tommy Emmanuel's amazing! Been aware of him for some time. The first I heard of Chet Atkins was an LP I bought called "Plays The Beatles", or some such (1964, I think.). He was wearing a Beatle hair cut wig on the cover, so, when I saw the LP, I just had to buy it, having grown up and started playing during the British Invasion years...a strange way to become aware of the great Chet! :applause

bigG
October 17th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Here's the first vid I ever saw of Tommy Emmanuel. Called "Guitar Boogie". The cat's doing the work of 2 or 3 guitarists at one time, and never breaks a sweat! 32nd notes galore, and maybe even 64th notes - I can't count that fast!

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lbvSBNLLoo

G

markb
October 17th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Here's Merle Travis with his Paul Bigsby modified D28. He can sing too. This is where Atkins took off from. Notice how Merle only uses the thumb and one finger.

s00MV1sY37c

Doc Watson's take on Travis picking. There are better camera angles on this for those who want to know what's going on. The song is by Alton Delmore, I'm surprisd Doc didn't know that. Maybe it was a case of "never let the facts get in the way of a good story" :cool:

6VAbrnjdtYw

bigG
October 17th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Great post, markb! That style is known as "Travis pickin'". :applause

Edit: nevermind, I see you already mentioned that. :thwap

R_of_G
October 17th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Although I thought you were referring to another great Chet (Baker) when I saw the title of this thread!

i did as well robert, though i love chet atkins as well.

i have the album chet atkins picks on the beatles, and while i am very specific about what i like and don't like in beatles covers, chet's versions of most of the songs are excellent. while none set me on fire like link wray's please please me, they are still outstanding guitar interpretations.

Tig
October 17th, 2009, 06:51 PM
...Jerry Reed picking "Baby's Coming Home", 1976
yLqyNV1SMWE

"Jerry's Breakdown" on Pop Goes the Country, 1975
(gets good at 58 seconds)
Ni8KBhnebwE

And the best for last...
With Mark Knopfler live at Secret Policeman's Third Ball 1987. "I'll see you in my dreams" and "Imagine".
One word... Wow!
5wTVLIZaxMk

Blaze
October 17th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Tommy strikes again

-951Ks7vUB0&feature

xHQur9e9Yn8&feature

bigG
October 17th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Man, there is ALOT of magic on this one page! I sincerely hope that every guitarist watches these videos, if for no other reason than to see what can be done!

To see Tommy Emmanuel explain how he had to practice and work at those Beatle arrangements is, in and of itself, priceless. No matter how good you are, there's always more, and it all comes the same way - practice, play and practice somemore!

Priceless stuff here! Great thread! :applause

jpfeifer
October 18th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Yes, I love Tommy Emanuel also. He took Chet Atkins / Merle Travis style to the next level (he's a monster). There's another guy I've seen a few times named Doyle Dykes who is also incredible at this style. Here is a clip of him playing a very cool version of the Wabash Cannonball, where he does some incredible stull with behind the nut string bends on an acoustic!
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3mwFA56dKP8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3mwFA56dKP8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I love all of these guys who can make a single guitar do so much.
--Jim