PDA

View Full Version : Fingers VS Pick

pes_laul
October 16th, 2009, 06:52 PM
So do you prefer to fingerpick only or do you pick when you play bass.

Or do you switch it up depending on the song.

I mainly fingerpick but a few songs I play I use a pick

:french <---dude this is the coolest smilie ever:cool:

Kodiak3D
October 16th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Ooops! Ignore my vote. I voted before I read the post. I don't play bass.

MAXIFUNK
October 17th, 2009, 12:15 AM
IMO

All the greatest bass players of all times play with their fingers.

THE BASS IS MEANT TO BE BEAT ON! FINGERS IS THE ONLY WAY TO PLAY.

I am sure their many who disagree but

STANLEY CLARKE
MARCUS MILLER
VICTOR WOOTEN
LARRY GRAHAM
LOUIS JOHNSON
RON CARTER
JACO PASTORIUS
Bona Pinder Yayumayalolo (RICHARD BONA)
MARK ADAMS
LES CLAYPOOL
JAMES JAMERSON
JOHN ENTWISLTE
FLEA
GEDDY LEE (AT LEAST I HAVE NEVER NOTICED HIM WITH ONE)

THESE CATS are among the best ever and not picK player among them.
IF it works for them THAT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!

marnold
October 17th, 2009, 08:55 AM
My preference is to play with my fingers. That is complicated by the fact that I no longer have fingertips on the first three fingers of my right hand. I can still do it kind of, but it's a pain. I started out with a pick, but I was always dropping it due to crappy technique. A Rudy Sarzo instructional cassette tape (tangent: you see, Pes, back in the 80s we had these things called "cassette tapes" and . . . oh, nevermind) convinced me to try playing with my fingers. You can't drop your fingers, plus it enables you to switch between various techniques quickly and easily.

In defense of the pick, sometimes I just like a brighter, sharper attack. I find it easier to pedal a tone that way--take the intro to Queensryche's "Jet City Woman" as an example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c8UdpiF_T8 (can't embed this one)

By the way, Eddie Jackson's tone is one of the main reasons I love Spectors so much. Same thing with Mike Starr, formerly of Alice in Chains. That Spector/EMG growl is unmistakable. The only prominent "name" bass player that I can think of who uses a pick is Chris Squire. See Yes' "Roundabout" for example:

Xql99I1VSdI

So I would chose based on what music I was playing, what tone I was looking for, and personal preference. Due to my injury, I switch off between the two. My pick technique is infinitely better than it used to be, thankfully. I also found that I could imitate the sound of an double bass played with a bow by basically doing a short pick scrape while fretting the notes. I could do a pretty mean imitation of the main riff to Primus' "Mr. Krinkle" that way. That's assuming you are using roundwound strings. You will blow through picks like nobody's business, though.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WtrmbfS_Vuc (can't embed this one either)

player
October 17th, 2009, 12:54 PM
And Do not count out Jeff Beck.the man plays great lead without a pick and has for years. :cool:

marnold
October 17th, 2009, 12:56 PM
And Do not count out Jeff Beck.the man plays great lead without a pick and has for years. :cool:
Just not on bass, which is the point of the thread.

player
October 17th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Just not on bass, which is the point of the thread.sorry boss

marnold
October 17th, 2009, 01:40 PM
sorry boss
Heh. NP. As an aside, I saw that special recently with Beck and really was impressed.

Back on topic, I forgot about another famous bass player who uses a pick: Lemmy from Motorhead (insert appropriate umlauts here). He's not a technician by any means, but his style keeps Motorhead straddling that line between metal and punk. I know there's another relatively well-known funk player who uses a pick, but his name is eluding me.

wingsdad
October 17th, 2009, 01:59 PM
No question, fingerstyle is the way to play a standup double bass. James Jamerson was a double bassist who converted to bass guitar; notably, he used JUST his index finger, he called 'the hook', on his Fender P-bass, because that's how he played his double bass.

I certainly understand funk bassists using their fingers and even whacking with the side of the thumb; that technique is essential to the sound and style.

But as a guitar player who at one point converted to playing bass guitar more or less by necessity or default, I learned to play bass guitar using a pick, and I never really bothered to attempt to learn fingerstyle.

I thought it was OK to do so because as a kid, I saw some guy named McCartney using a pick on a funny-shaped bass guitar. I thought he played pretty good. Played it practically like it was a lead guitar. Found out later he was actually a frustrated lead guitar player who 'volunteered' to play bass for that dumb little band he was in, so it made sense.

bigG
October 17th, 2009, 03:13 PM
No question, fingerstyle is the way to play a standup double bass. James Jamerson was a double bassist who converted to bass guitar; notably, he used JUST his index finger, he called 'the hook', on his Fender P-bass, because that's how he played his double bass.

I certainly understand funk bassists using their fingers and even whacking with the side of the thumb; that technique is essential to the sound and style.

But as a guitar player who at one point converted to playing bass guitar more or less by necessity or default, I learned to play bass guitar using a pick, and I never really bothered to attempt to learn fingerstyle.

I thought it was OK to do so because as a kid, I saw some guy named McCartney using a pick on a funny-shaped bass guitar. I thought he played pretty good. Played it practically like it was a lead guitar. Found out later he was actually a frustrated lead guitar player who 'volunteered' to play bass for that dumb little band he was in, so it made sense.

I, too, was originally a self-taught rhythm guitarist (Gibson SG Jr.). The first band I auditioned for needed a bass player, so I bought a Framus (Hofner knock-off) and proceeded to use a pick only throughout my "career". I was always after that John Entwistle "sound", with the initial high-end treble attack, coupled w the low end. My signature bass set-up thus becoming a Ric, y-corded into a Vox Super Beatle head, one channel set for low-end and the other set for a more trebley attack. Worked perfectly for the instantly recognizable Entwistle sound - the pick adding to the plucky, treble attack, and also for lead-like basslines, as the band that recorded in NYC was a three-piece. So, I was doing alot of Entwistle-like (lead guitar type) runs and fills. (I know Entwistle used a pick - and fingers as well, but I had my style, and it worked well for me, so I saw no reason to change it. None of that slapping and popping stuff was being done during my time, at least not to my knowledge, and when I first started seeing and hearing that style, quite honestly, I hated it. :nope )

player
October 17th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Heh. NP. As an aside, I saw that special recently with Beck and really was impressed.

Back on topic, I forgot about another famous bass player who uses a pick: Lemmy from Motorhead (insert appropriate umlauts here). He's not a technician by any means, but his style keeps Motorhead straddling that line between metal and punk. I know there's another relatively well-known funk player who uses a pick, but his name is eluding me.this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uwvBizKAwcsaw fingerstyle and guitar this jumped right up at me Rev.sorry did not catch the Bass drift in it right away. :thwap
our bassist never used a pick either and was still jam good

I no longer have fingertips on the first three fingers of my right hand I'd better not even ask

marnold
October 18th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I'd better not even ask
Let's just say that snowblowers and hands don't mix.

NWBasser
October 19th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Don't post this on a bass player's forum. It will degenerate very quickly and never end....:nope

I don't think it matters all that much how you play a bass as long as it sounds good and is comfortable to you. "Sounds good" is a big part of it though.

Funk and reggae likely wouldn't sound good with a pick and practically demand finger playing. Lots of punk players use picks as do metal players, so a pick would be perfectly acceptable for those genres.

I suppose it really depends on what the music asks for and what the player is most comfortable with.

player
October 19th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Gotcha! Can't win for losing guess it is time to go AWOL from thefret for awhile.as in months maybe.even though(fingers) reply has been removed.Bass is not my forte'..that said will stick to what is and pay more attention to forum(s) I do moderate elsewhere. not quitting.just laying low for awhile

R_of_G
October 19th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I suppose it really depends on what the music asks for and what the player is most comfortable with.

:applause

that could easily be the correct answer to any number of questions around here.

the "right" way is the way that produces the sound you want to make.

marnold
October 19th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Don't post this on a bass player's forum. It will degenerate very quickly and never end....:nope
No kidding. If you ever want to feel better about yourself, search for this kind of thing on TalkBass, although your IQ might drop a good 50 points.

pes_laul
October 19th, 2009, 08:51 PM

I don't think it matters all that much how you play a bass as long as it sounds good and is comfortable to you. "Sounds good" is a big part of it though.

Funk and reggae likely wouldn't sound good with a pick and practically demand finger playing. Lots of punk players use picks as do metal players, so a pick would be perfectly acceptable for those genres.

+1 You pretty much hit in on the head.:applause

sunvalleylaw
October 19th, 2009, 10:56 PM
The only prominent "name" bass player that I can think of who uses a pick is Chris Squire. See Yes' "Roundabout" for example:

Xql99I1VSdI

About the only thing I can add to a bass player's discussion is that this piece was the official song of the lunch room my freshman and sophomore year of high school. Cranked up high over the lunch tables and foosball tables. The bass rocks, and I would love to be able to play that way, though when I think of playing bass, it is with fingers.

Brian Krashpad
October 26th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I came from a punk rock background, and learned guitar first, so my natural tendency is to play with a pick. I'm starting to do more fingerstyle though.

I never liked the whole slap funk thing though. It's basically irrelevant to my playing though, since I'm uninterested in the musical genres that would call for it.

FrankenFretter
October 26th, 2009, 01:39 PM

You slappa da bass?

NWBasser
October 30th, 2009, 02:44 PM
You slappa da bass?

Only when she's been bad!

pie_man_25
November 3rd, 2009, 09:32 AM
IMO

All the greatest bass players of all times play with their fingers.

THE BASS IS MEANT TO BE BEAT ON! FINGERS IS THE ONLY WAY TO PLAY.

I am sure their many who disagree but

STANLEY CLARKE
MARCUS MILLER
VICTOR WOOTEN
LARRY GRAHAM
LOUIS JOHNSON
RON CARTER
JACO PASTORIUS
Bona Pinder Yayumayalolo (RICHARD BONA)
MARK ADAMS
LES CLAYPOOL
JAMES JAMERSON
JOHN ENTWISLTE
FLEA
GEDDY LEE (AT LEAST I HAVE NEVER NOTICED HIM WITH ONE)

THESE CATS are among the best ever and not picK player among them.
IF it works for them THAT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!

Actually John Entwistle DID use a pick, not to mention Matt freeman, John Paul Jones, Paul McCartney (I hat the beatles, but hey, he did use them) as well as Carol Kaye and I think Pino Palladino may even use them sometimes, and they're two of the most legendary session players of all time, you really need to expand your mind, I mean I play mostly with fingers too, but I find that you can do things with a pick that you can't do with fingers, like sweeping.

MAXIFUNK
November 3rd, 2009, 01:01 PM
Actually John Entwistle DID use a pick, not to mention Matt freeman, John Paul Jones, Paul McCartney (I hat the beatles, but hey, he did use them) as well as Carol Kaye and I think Pino Palladino may even use them sometimes, and they're two of the most legendary session players of all time, you really need to expand your mind, I mean I play mostly with fingers too, but I find that you can do things with a pick that you can't do with fingers, like sweeping.

NO my MIND is expanded quit far enough thank you very much.
So some how you know my mind from one damn post to a thread please. :what

Enthwhisle is famous for his fingering technique not his pic playing.
Larry Graham used a pic also but he is famous for popularizing thumping and popping.

Now as far as those folks you mention there was not a name there I have not seen play in person or was not aware of. I could have put a 300 person list out there but why.

As far as sweeping is concern you can do that with your thumb.

LIKE I SAID FOR ME THERE IS NOTHING LIKE PLAYING A BASS WITH YOUR FINGERS AND THUMB.

pie_man_25
November 4th, 2009, 10:55 AM
NO my MIND is expanded quit far enough thank you very much.
So some how you know my mind from one damn post to a thread please. :what

Enthwhisle is famous for his fingering technique not his pic playing.
Larry Graham used a pic also but he is famous for popularizing thumping and popping.

Now as far as those folks you mention there was not a name there I have not seen play in person or was not aware of. I could have put a 300 person list out there but why.

As far as sweeping is concern you can do that with your thumb.

LIKE I SAID FOR ME THERE IS NOTHING LIKE PLAYING A BASS WITH YOUR FINGERS AND THUMB.

I apologize for offending you, this idiot (I'm referring to myself) did not try to offend, I was just making a statement, but again, I have to say I respectfully disagree, after all, by playing only with fingers and thumb you are limiting yourself to a range of tones, and entwistle did do a LOT of great stuff with a pick, like the solo for my generation. Yeah, you can keep telling yourself that nothing beats the fingers, and I do agree with you, but sometimes playing with a pick can be more appropriate, After all, like Victor Wooten himself has said many times, being able to do a ton of virtuosic stuff only makes you a technical bassist, being a great bassist is something else entirely. Again, I'm sorry for having offended you, if it really was such a big deal, and again, yeah, fingers are great, but part of being a great bassist is being versatile, which means mastering the many different methods of playing.

ps. though you CAN sweep with your thumb, it sounds sharper with a pick.

NWBasser
November 21st, 2009, 05:39 PM
I use a broom to sweep!:happy

Really though, it doesn't matter what great player used what.

As far as I'm concerned Geddy Lee could have used a rotohammer to play.

A good bass player uses whatever method that works to best express the sound that they want to hear from the instrument. It's an artistic endeavor and there is no "right" answer, just as there is no "best" style of music.