PDA

View Full Version : Lynch Mob "Smoke and Mirrors"

marnold
October 17th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Shame on my that I forgot that the new Lynch Mob album was released this week! I just snagged it from Amazon's MP3 store (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002M4YT7C/sr=8-1/qid=1255809521/ref=sr_digr_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1255809521&sr=8-1) and gave it an inital run-through. My initial reaction is how varied the disc is. The "Souls of We" album seemed to be several different variations of plodding. On this one, old Georgie proves that he can still heat up the frets with the best of them. I think this album also proves that if he wants to do a Lynch Mob album, he should do it with Oni Logan. The man's got some serious pipes and really compliments George's playing well. Marco Mendoza also lays down some very tasty bass lines that don't get lost in the mix. Incidentally, Medoza has also played with Ted Nugent and Thin Lizzy; you definitely hear an influence from those bands on a couple of tracks.

Thus far, my favorite tracks are "21St Century Man," "Madly Backwards," and "We Will Remain." The only track that makes me cringe a bit is the pop-ish lighter-fest "Before I Close My Eyes."

Basically it's a really solid hard/sleaze rock album with some superb fretwork. If you liked "Wicked Sensation," you'll probably like this album--although this one doesn't sound like it was written and recorded in the late 80s. I'll update when I give it a few more listens through. I mainly listened to it as a whole instead of focusing on the solos, etc.

Tig
October 19th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Cool, I'll have to check it out.

//Anyone who is or ever was a fan of Alice In Chains (http://www.aliceinchains.com/home.html) should definitely check out their just released "Black Gives Way To Blue". I was surprised how good it was after they took so many years off. The new singer works out perfectly, but without mimicking Layne. The December edition of Guitar World features a great interview with Jerry Cantrell, BTW.

marnold
October 19th, 2009, 10:23 AM
The more I listen to it the more surprised I am at how restrained Lynch is. This isn't a solo album with a band. His playing really serves the song. Whether that's a good or bad thing somewhat depends on your point of view. If you're a big Lynch fan (like me) you'd probably wish for some more guitar gymnastics. If you're not particularly a fan, you'd probably be thankful that it doesn't descend into guitar diarrhea. He's got an all-instrumental album coming out that will include an updated version of "Mr. Scary" that should fill my need for speed.

I personally would probably prefer everything to have a harder, more metallic edge. But conversely it's definitely not 13 tracks that all sound the same. The "bonus" track at the end called "Mansions in the Sky" is definitely growing on me and is a far better conclusion to the album than the aforementioned "Before I Close My Eyes."

As much as I like Lynch, I haven't purchased tons of his post-Dokken work. I didn't like the Souls of We album at all. The Lynch Mob "Smoke This" album was just bizarre (I've accurately heard it called "Lynch Bizkit"). This one seems like a very worthy addition to his catalog.

marnold
November 9th, 2009, 06:56 PM
From today (Nov 9) through the 16th, you can listen to the entire album on their MySpace page (http://www.myspace.com/lynchmobrocks).

Spudman
November 9th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I really like this. I might have to pick it up. Thanks M.