PDA

View Full Version : why...

pes_laul
October 18th, 2009, 04:41 PM
So I had gotten my new pickups put in. and now theres this awful fret noise so I just oh well Ill just raise the action a bit, and I did and it was still there so then I changed the strings, ended up breaking one.

theres always little things always wrong with my guitar and Ive only been able to play at it one show because of that.

I'm honestly thinking about selling or trading it.

I could get a epi les paul for it I know that. but what do you guys think? should I just keep it and bear with it or?

wingsdad
October 18th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Did you try lowering the pickups before raising the action?

pes_laul
October 19th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Did you try lowering the pickups before raising the action?
There pretty low.

kiteman
October 20th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Ever check your neck relief after string changes?

NWBasser
October 21st, 2009, 01:40 PM
What sort of things are always wrong with it?

Has it been in for a professional setup yet?

pes_laul
October 22nd, 2009, 04:14 AM
What sort of things are always wrong with it?

Has it been in for a professional setup yet?

Well it always gets out of intonation, its acquired a fret buzz on like every fret (I fixed that a bit), the trem gets of alignment from time to time, all sorts of stuff like that.

I haven't sent it in to a professional but I probably won't because I don't really have time for that and not to sound big mouthed but I can usually set up guitars pretty nicely (but with the locking trem I'm still learning)

Kazz
October 22nd, 2009, 04:18 AM
It seems to me that if the guitar is pretty much unplayable...that you have all the time in the world to get it fixed....or get rid of it.

marnold
October 22nd, 2009, 08:13 AM
I'd suggest taking it in for a check up, but I noticed from your sig that it's an Affinity. In which case, I'm not sure I'd spend the money on it. It sounds like it's never "bonded" with you anyway, so there's precious little point.

Auriemma
October 22nd, 2009, 09:02 AM
+1 on putting it in the shop.

But if you have decided to go another path (Epi Les Paul), then may I suggest looking at Agiles or Michael Kellys. They are equal or better than the Epi's in many, many repects... an cost less.

kiteman
October 22nd, 2009, 09:28 AM
http://www.carvinguitars.com/kits/

$50 instant rebate so for $329 you get an USA made strat. Assemble it which is perfect fits and tru-oil it.

Or paint it if you like. :)

birv2
October 22nd, 2009, 10:35 AM
I have an Affinity strat, and my guitar tech says it just needs more frequent adjustments than other guitars. It plays and sounds great, but seems to get out of alignment more than other guitars.

pes_laul
October 22nd, 2009, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE=marnold]I'd suggest taking it in for a check up, but I noticed from your sig that it's an Affinity. In which case, I'm not sure I'd spend the money on it. It sounds like it's never "bonded" with you anyway, so there's precious little point.[/QUOTE/]

My squire plays fine, it's my ibanez I'm talking about.

Kodiak3D
October 22nd, 2009, 12:10 PM

Fender's newest advertisement.

marnold
October 22nd, 2009, 12:45 PM
Well, that's different! I'd definitely take it in. I'd turn my eye immediately to the bridge to see how that was set up. If you don't have a Floyd set up properly it will be an unmitigated nightmare. Once it is set up, you should be more or less good to go. I don't really know anything about the ZR trems, however.

pes_laul
October 22nd, 2009, 01:00 PM
Fender's newest advertisement.
:applause Thats sig material haha.

But yeah I talked to my dad and I'm gonna save up some money to take it in.

Does anyone know how much a typical setup costs?

Radioboy950
October 22nd, 2009, 04:22 PM
http://www.carvinguitars.com/kits/

$50 instant rebate so for $329 you get an USA made strat. Assemble it which is perfect fits and tru-oil it.

Or paint it if you like. :)

Kite, those kits look pretty cool.
You've done one yourself?
What do you think of them??

ZMAN
October 22nd, 2009, 04:52 PM
My guy does a beautiful job for 35 bucks plus strings. I had a budget Vintage Icon Les Paul goldtop P90 guitar and He had to send it out for a fret job. You can check that out with a steel straight edge. I used one from a wall paper kit. It is about 18 inches long and you can set it on the frets lengthwise and if it rocks you have high and low frets. A metal ruler will work. After the fret job and a set up she was perfect. 100 for the Fret job and set up was included. Total in the guitar is 500. Now it plays as good as it looks. I also have an ES335 that was a total dog to play. My buddy owned it since 1990 and hardly played it. It was always out of intonation and had lousy action. I had it set up for 35 bucks and it is my best playing guitar. You need to find a good guy but worth every nickel. You may think you know how to set up a guitar but a pro has done hundreds.