PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for a friend

Eric
October 19th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Hello people,

I was talking about guitars with a coworker recently, and he would like to learn the guitar a bit more in the coming months. Right now he has an Applause (I think this is the econo-Ovation) jumbo that he hates, because he says it's too big (both ways -- width and depth) and feels like a child's toy.

I told him he could borrow any of my guitars, but he seems hesitant. He was set on a Martin 000-CXE, but after looking it up, I tried to steer him away from it. It looked to me like it has serious reliability concerns.

So the question: what do you recommend? He seems to want an acoustic, which is probably more gratifying for a beginner, though I told him electric would be my vote for quickest way to learn. He prefers a black guitar, acoustic-electric, wants something that won't be so crappy it will deter him from learning, and says his price range is around $1000, though he'd prefer less obviously.

I personally really like the Seagull that I have, and have also heard good things about the Ibanez Artwood series. What's the input from all of you? What sort of better-than-intro guitars would you advise he looks at?

--Eric

sumitomo
October 19th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I played a guys Breedlove and man I was impressed,it played nice(not alot of effort to chord ect.)and sounded fantastic.Sumi:D

Zip
October 19th, 2009, 05:18 PM
First "real" guitar? Steer him toward a Takamine. They have single cutaways in black. NOT THE JASMINE CRAPPOLA, the plain 'ol Tak's. Have him play one at a nearby dealer first, but for half a grand he'll be happy for a few years.

Linky (http://www.zzounds.com/item--TAKEG523SC)

bigG
October 19th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Yep. Takamine is a good suggestion.

There are ALOT of VERY nice acoustic-electrics avail for < $1000. Must be black...that's gonna limit the choice considerably.

Try out the video gear page at www.acousticguitar.com. Many a fine sub-$1000 a-e's demoed and reviewed there. At least your friend will be armed w more info re what's available.

Eric
October 19th, 2009, 05:49 PM
There are ALOT of VERY nice acoustic-electrics avail for < $1000. Must be black...that's gonna limit the choice considerably.

I don't know that it has to be black; that's just his preference. I'll check out the link -- thanks.

Eric
October 19th, 2009, 05:51 PM
He was set on a Martin 000-CXE, but after looking it up, I tried to steer him away from it. It looked to me like it has serious reliability concerns.

BTW, have any of you heard anything about these plastic guitars? Have you played one? I'm just kind of curious about the whole thing.

bigG
October 19th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Eric, I have a Martin 00X1 Java Mahogany, and it's a winner! Their X-Series is very popular.

It's all-wood (the HPL stands for high-pressure laminate...basically formica), but some, like mine, have a solid spruce top. It's a great player w wonderful woody sound, and the stratabond neck is superb, and has a nice look to it.

That said, the 000-CXE is a HPL top, so I don't know how that affects the sound, but I wouldn't rule it out til you can try one in person. Martin isn't gonna put their name on a piece of junk. :AOK

Edit: and the reliability of laminate guitars is superior to solid wood. Not affected by humidity...or much of anything else. I'm sure the electronics are fine.

Kodiak3D
October 19th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I have been very happy with my Art & Lutherie, and they do have a black one.

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/dreadcedarblack.html

Eric
October 19th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I suppose my hesitation comes in that it looks like it's a fabricate-at-lowest-possible-cost guitar for which some marketing person figured they could still charge Martin $$.

I think his attraction to it was the whole 'It's a Martin!' thing, along with it being small and black. Those seem like dumb reasons to buy a guitar, IMO. There are many other options out there before he makes up his mind.

Point taken about HPL, and I did know that laminate is more sturdy than a solid top. I read some stuff on HC about either the bridge coming unglued or the body warping due to humidity, which was my concern. It says it's a 'textured finish'; makes me wonder a little bit...

Man, I'm getting all defensive or something. Hope I didn't offend you -- I don't doubt it's a good guitar. It just seemed like an odd match for him right out of the gate.

bigG
October 19th, 2009, 11:03 PM
I suppose my hesitation comes in that it looks like it's a fabricate-at-lowest-possible-cost guitar for which some marketing person figured they could still charge Martin $$.

I think his attraction to it was the whole 'It's a Martin!' thing, along with it being small and black. Those seem like dumb reasons to buy a guitar, IMO. There are many other options out there before he makes up his mind.

Point taken about HPL, and I did know that laminate is more sturdy than a solid top. I read some stuff on HC about either the bridge coming unglued or the body warping due to humidity, which was my concern. It says it's a 'textured finish'; makes me wonder a little bit...

Man, I'm getting all defensive or something. Hope I didn't offend you -- I don't doubt it's a good guitar. It just seemed like an odd match for him right out of the gate.

Naw, man. No offense taken. :AOK I admit to being a bit leary of the seemingly "low-end" take on the whole X-Series from Martin. But I did alot of research (reviews on MF and HC, and Martin's site) and when I strummed the first chord (a Cmaj7, I remember it well) I was sold immediatley. Of course I checked out the build quality, and it's top-notch.

Supposedly Martin has two reasons for building these HPL X-Series guits. First, to get a Martin into a player's hands at a more "real world" price (also the idea behind their "new" 1-Series), and second, to begin using alternatives to solid hardwood bodies and necks, as many of the traditional woods are rapidly disappearing and every acoustic maker will have to face it and deal w it sooner than later.

I ended up being very comfortable with it (the whole idea), and I honestly LOVE mine. (My most recent purchase was a Martin M-36, which is one of their Standard Series, and a bit over two grand street price. And I think it's the finest acoustic I've ever played or heard since I began playing in 1963. But, that little 00X1 is, I'm proud to say, my other Martin. Between the two, I have a sweet, woody tone w great projection in the 00X1, and a heavenly, bell-like tone, w nice, punchy low-end in the M-36.)

But that's just my take on it, although I'm awfully particular when it comes to guitars, and especially acoustics. Of course, in the end, it's your and your friend's decision. My 2 cents on those "plastic" guitars, as you put it. Quite a deal for the price, and it says Martin on the headstock. Yeah, it's "different", but that does not necessarily mean worse, or bad.

Again, no offense, and good hunting, whatever you guys decide on. Like I said, there's lots of choices for $1000 and under! :)

sunvalleylaw
October 19th, 2009, 11:09 PM
GuitarPlayer did an article on budget acoustics (seemed to be 6-800ish) that had some good pics in it. The Epiphone Masterbuilt series prolly deserves a look. I think the lower price point Martins seem great, and you can get them used at a good price too.

guitartango
October 20th, 2009, 05:57 AM
I would go for a second hand guitar, not sure on make but at least you know it has been played in.

ZMAN
October 20th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I know you have only spoken about Electrified Accoustic guitars but have you given any thought to a Semi Hollow Electric. You could get a fairly decent Epiphone Dot and a nice amp for the 1000 dollars. As you know he will probably head in that direction eventually. Just a thought!

Tig
October 20th, 2009, 03:53 PM
This Ibanez A300E Ambiance (http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAA300E) might fit the bill. Not too big like the jumbo or dreadnaught, but not too small. It even has an arched back! Good Fishman Sonicore pickup, built-in mic, and Aero Blend preamp. The Transparent Cherry Sunburst is close to black, but the quilted maple is much nicer on the eyes. Only $600.

After reading this thread this morning, I tried one out at a local shop and was impressed with the tone, loudness, action, and fretboard feel. It sounds better than the Ibanez artwood guitars they had, IMHO.
Crap, yet another GAS attack!

http://images.guitarcenter.com/products/optionlarge/Ibanez/583600jpg.jpg

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/9/3/6/592936.jpg

Eric
October 20th, 2009, 08:38 PM
This Ibanez A300E Ambiance (http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAA300E) might fit the bill. Not too big like the jumbo or dreadnaught, but not too small. It even has an arched back! Good Fishman Sonicore pickup, built-in mic, and Aero Blend preamp. The Transparent Cherry Sunburst is close to black, but the quilted maple is much nicer on the eyes. Only $600.

Wow, that's pretty tempting. If I was looking for an acoustic, I'd try to find one of those in a store. I may anyway, just to check it out.

kiteman
October 24th, 2009, 11:12 AM
You want black? :)

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=C980TMW&cid=75

oldguy
October 24th, 2009, 11:42 AM
You want black? :)

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=C980TMW&cid=75

Nice one, kiteman. They get good reviews also. Plus a decent warranty.
:applause