PDA

View Full Version : Unsung Hero - The Tech

Spudman
September 1st, 2006, 03:40 PM
Getting your guitar serviced while on the road or touring presents a major problem. The solution: Hire a traveling guitar tech.

Recently I had the pleasure to meet and visit with two that have been in the business for quite a while.

The first: Elwood

Elwood has worked for such notable acts as Aerosmith, ZZ Top and is currently employed by the Black Crowes which is where I met him. We talked as he was changing some stock P90 pickups out of a vintage Gibson Les Paul to Lollar P90's back stage before the Black Crowes concert. Although he has known and been friends of the band longer than anybody else on staff he has only recently started working for them and says he still gets stuck being "the new guy."

His main job is to keep the 50 or so vintage guitars in top shape that his boss Rich Robinson of the Black Crowes takes out on the road. The photo's are of Elwood and Rich Robinson's road guitars.

duhvoodooman
September 1st, 2006, 05:23 PM
Nice duty, if you can get it! Wonder how it pays, though? Then again, who cares?

BTW, you more experienced guys gotta help me out here. I see the Fenders & Gibbies, but what the heck are the makes of the guitars in these two clipped photos?? 3 in the first (all the same headstock) and 5 in the second (4 with the same headstock, and then one unique one on the end).

506 507

t_ross33
September 1st, 2006, 05:36 PM
Nice duty, if you can get it! Wonder how it pays, though? Then again, who cares?

BTW, you more experienced guys gotta help me out here. I see the Fenders & Gibbies, but what the heck are the makes of the guitars in these two clipped photos?? 3 in the first (all the same headstock) and 5 in the second (4 with the same headstock, and then one unique one on the end).

506 507

They look to be resonator guitars. National?

duhvoodooman
September 1st, 2006, 07:05 PM
I see the Fenders & Gibbies, but what the heck are the makes of the guitars in these two clipped photos?? 3 in the first (all the same headstock) and 5 in the second (4 with the same headstock, and then one unique one on the end).
Answered my own question. The 3 in the first photo are Zemaitis (http://www.zemaitis.net/index.htm) guitars, a custom maker in England, and the 4 in the second are James Trussart (http://www.jamestrussart.com/Newsite/Steeltop/ShinyBlackRosesST.htm) guitars, a custom maker in LA who specializes in wood-metal hybrid guitars.

Still not sure what the one on the end is; maybe another Fender?

SuperSwede
September 1st, 2006, 11:39 PM
Hey, DVM give us a chance to let our knowledge shine for a while longer... I was going to say Zemaitis :D Lol

Spudman
September 5th, 2006, 08:00 PM
The second professional guitar technician I met this summer is Timmy O'Connor.

Timmy is the guitar tech for Pat Simmons of The Doobie Brothers.

We chatted a while and then he let me play Pat's custom made guitar through a stack of hand made Dumbell amps with a Bradshaw effects switching system and a 50,000 watt PA system.

Just kidding there. That was a dream I had. Anyway...

The thing I noticed about both techs. Elwood and Timmy O'Connor is that they are both very easy going guys that are very happy to chat gear or classic cars or you name it. It seems as if the job is low stress and they enjoy what they do. Maybe it's the great perks of mini-mart burritos at 3am. that they enjoy so much. I don't know. What I do know is that they are able to support themselves and their families doing it and they are easier to talk to than some of the stars they work for. So if you want to talk to an artist about their gear but can't find them or get clearance to them, talk to their tech.

The pedal board is Pat Simmon's. He also uses Dean Markley Blue Steel 9-46 custom guage stings sets.

tot_Ou_tard
September 5th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Wayyy cool posts Spudsie!

I think that'd make a fantastic documentary...on the road with Techies.

We gotta pitch in and start a fund to buy Spuds a video camera and some pocket change for mini mart burritos and get him out on the road!

Spudman
September 6th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Wayyy cool posts Spudsie!

I think that'd make a fantastic documentary...on the road with Techies.

We gotta pitch in and start a fund to buy Spuds a video camera and some pocket change for mini mart burritos and get him out on the road!

Wow! You are so thoughtful. I'd love to do something like that. I already have a digital camcorder and I think I could just eat out of dumpsters since I've already done that being a "rock-n-roll star. So it would be really cheap to send me on assignment.

I'm all for it! "Make it so number one."

tot_Ou_tard
September 6th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Wow! You are so thoughtful. I'd love to do something like that. I already have a digital camcorder and I think I could just eat out of dumpsters since I've already done that being a "rock-n-roll star. So it would be really cheap to send me on assignment.

I'm all for it! "Make it so number one."

I'm not kidding, I'd love to see such a film. Maybe you could bring your camcorder next time and just chat with the guitar techs. Of course, you've gotta get them to play the axes as well.