PDA

View Full Version : Today in Edmonton, armed man takes hostage

Robert
October 21st, 2009, 03:50 PM
Edmonton is in the news today:

Police are negotiating with a gunman reported to be holding as many as nine hostages in the Canadian province of Alberta.

Edmonton police say they've received a report of a man armed with a hunting rifle inside the Workers' Compensation Board building in the city's downtown.

Police say officers are speaking with the man and "working very diligently" to bring the situation to a peaceful conclusion.

The armed man at the centre of a hostage-taking at the Workers Compensation Board in downtown Edmonton is a former construction worker with a long-held grudge against the board, an acquaintance says.

The man’s relationship with the WCB dates back to a botched knee exam, said Don Bellerose, who lives in the same assisted living facility as the man.

According to Bellerose, the man told his friends in the building a doctor had jerked his knee too far during a checkup, damaging his ligaments.

Apparently, the News anchor said "As Americans we don't know where Edmonton is"... is it that bad, fellow Americans?

Brian Krashpad
October 22nd, 2009, 06:57 AM
Edmonton is in the news today:

Apparently, the News anchor said "As Americans we don't know where Edmonton is"... is it that bad, fellow Americans?

Is it bad? I don't know. But I don't know where Edmonton is, except that it's in Alberta, which I don't know where that is either. My guess is out west somewhere.

I'm sure some US Americans must know where Edmonton is. From my location, I'm more likely to know where places in the Caribbean are than places in Canada. I'd think people in the upper tier of US states probably have a better grasp of Canadian geography.

marnold
October 22nd, 2009, 08:03 AM
Well, I won't give you my opinion on news anchors either, but it wouldn't surprise me if many Americans didn't have any idea where Edmonton is. Conversely, it's not an anti-Canada thing, it's a geography in general thing. I know where it is, but I'm a hockey fan. My guess is that folks in the northern states would be more likely to know than southerners. I'm not trying to start/perpetuate a stereotype with that, it's just that being closer to Canada would make you more likely to know something about it.

I mean, I don't know where precisely Boise is, but I know that it's in Idaho and I know where that is so it would be trivial to find it on a map. What throws me off are the "new" countries in Europe and other places that have come about recently due to the fall of the Communist bloc or revolution.

For those of you who are interested, Edmonton is here. (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=edmonton&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&gl=us&ei=s2bgSpPJD-KTtgfbmvwJ&ved=0CAwQ8gEwAA&hq=&hnear=Edmonton,+Division+No.+11,+Alberta,+Canada&ll=53.540941,-113.493698&spn=20.210675,39.506836&z=5)

bigG
October 22nd, 2009, 08:13 AM
Fwiw, I'm aware of Edmonton, but probably b/c in the late 90s I had an online relationship w a young lady from there. She ended up flying down here to Florida for a three week stay with myself! Very cool, very nice!

I actually considered moving to Edmonton around that time!

Robert
October 22nd, 2009, 08:25 AM
Ahh, sorry guys, I take that back - I didn't mean the way that sounded. It's not bad. I freely admit I don't know where all cities are in the USA either... ;)
Same with Europe, of course...

Tone2TheBone
October 22nd, 2009, 09:37 AM
Well a lot of people don't know where Albuquerque is either. Good thing too. :) ;)

marnold
October 22nd, 2009, 09:40 AM
Well a lot of people don't know where Albuquerque is either. Good thing too. :) ;)
I know where it is, I just can't spell it.

duhvoodooman
October 22nd, 2009, 09:58 AM
I know where it is, I just can't spell it.
Not many words out there with 2 Q's.....

Robert
October 22nd, 2009, 10:07 AM
Not many words out there with 2 Q's.....

That's what you think, you quinquagenarian man with quaquaversal tendencies... :french

By this equivoque, my coffee goes quinquevalent. :crazyguy

Spudman
October 22nd, 2009, 10:10 AM
That's what you think, you quinquagenarian man with quaquaversal tendencies... :french

See what living in Canada will do to ya.:mybad

duhvoodooman
October 22nd, 2009, 10:11 AM

OK, let me qlarify, you qrazy Qanuck:

Not many words out there with 2 Q's that normal people have heard of....

sunvalleylaw
October 22nd, 2009, 10:19 AM

38XsRcDmTFc#t=1m05s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38XsRcDmTFc#t=1m05s

Well, . . . someone had to! :cool: LOL!

I know where Edmonton is, but I am a northwest US guy, and have lived relatively near to Canada my whole life. I know very little about Edmonton except that there is a huge mall there. I know little about anywhere not on the west coast, PNW or the few places east of the Rockies I have been though. When I go somewhere, I love to learn all about it, including local history. Otherwise, general info is all I know, including the specific locations.

Tone2TheBone
October 22nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
As a side note I think Mr. Kincaid was the perfect kinda guy for that job as manager. hahaha As for directions the bunny said left toin'.

piebaldpython
October 22nd, 2009, 12:21 PM
Geography as I learned it way back in the 60's is not taught anymore.

Forget Canada.....many USA students can't even locate a good deal of our States. How the heck is that possible? Amazing.

Tone2TheBone
October 22nd, 2009, 02:09 PM
Geography as I learned it way back in the 60's is not taught anymore.

Forget Canada.....many USA students can't even locate a good deal of our States. How the heck is that possible? Amazing.

You mean like this girl...

WALIARHHLII

Robert
October 22nd, 2009, 02:16 PM
Poor girl is gonna have to live with that clip for the rest of her life...

FrankenFretter
October 22nd, 2009, 02:26 PM
I used to live an hour away from Vancouver, BC. I know where Edmonton is because I dated a girl from there once. Once, as in one date. She kept insisting that the football field has 110 yards, and you kick on 3rd down. I couldn't hang with that.

Brian Krashpad
October 23rd, 2009, 05:53 AM
Ahh, sorry guys, I take that back - I didn't mean the way that sounded. It's not bad. I freely admit I don't know where all cities are in the USA either... ;)
Same with Europe, of course...

I didn't take it bad at all Robert. No worries.

When I looked at the Rev's map link, it was about where I thunk it'd be. Only, further north. Man, that's hours from anywhere, looks like.

Tone2TheBone
October 23rd, 2009, 08:48 AM
Rob I actually used to work with a girl who was originally from here (Albuquerque) and got married to a Canadian and moved to Edmonton. What a coincidence eh. I think they moved back though. I think.

Robert
October 23rd, 2009, 09:04 AM
Rob I actually used to work with a girl who was originally from here (Albuquerque) and got married to a Canadian and moved to Edmonton. What a coincidence eh. I think they moved back though. I think.

Ahh, well it wasn't me she got married to! :)
I think.