PDA

View Full Version : New Neck Problems

sjyoung
October 22nd, 2009, 05:57 AM
Hey guys, new to the forum, but I've been reading it for a while. :)

I've got a '99 MexiTele that I'm fixing up (not really worth it, but she was my first true love :)). I recently bought a new neck, which looks and feels great, but I have a problem: The neck has no "lip" on the end of it.

Now, I can't get the intonation anywhere close to playable. The neck scale length is 25.5"

Any ideas for me? I'd love to get this thing back in shape.

kiteman
October 22nd, 2009, 06:02 AM
I don't think the "lip" has anything to do with intonations. You need to measure from the nut to the 12th fret and from the 12th fret to the bridge. They should be the same measurements.

marnold
October 22nd, 2009, 08:11 AM
The lip on the end would only be for having 22 frets instead of 20/21. Take the measurement that Kite suggested. Where did you get the neck from?

M29
October 22nd, 2009, 09:55 AM
Yeah you must have had a 22 fret and the new one is 20/21. It should still fit the neck pocket. I am also curious where you got the neck.

M

sjyoung
October 22nd, 2009, 11:53 AM
I've got 12 5/8" from nut to fret, and 13 7/8" from saddle to fret.

22 frets. Fits in the pocket perfectly (though the predrilled holes were a bit off), just lacks the heel that the old one had. This is the third neck I've had on it in 10 years, and I don't remember anything about the original neck.

The neck was from eBay. Nice neck, solid maple. Do not know the name brand. It plays WONDERFULLY, but I'm a whole note off on the octaves.

This has been a nightmare. Something just doesn't seem right...My old neck had the same number of frets, but why did the scale change so dramatically? Just measured the old neck with the same 12 5/8" from nut to fret.

I just rewired the whole damn thing so there's no way I'm giving up now! And thanks for your help.

Tibernius
October 22nd, 2009, 12:00 PM
This has been a nightmare. Something just doesn't seem right...My old neck had the same number of frets, but why did the scale change so dramatically? Just measured the old neck with the same 12 5/8" from nut to fret.

The old one must have been a 22 fret with overhang and the new one is 22 fret without overhang.

Two options: buy a new neck that fits without any modification (either 22 fret with overhang or 21 fret without) or cut the last fret off the neck.

Same thing happened to me with my partsocaster, I ended up cutting the 22nd fret off by pulling the fret out and sawing through the gap it was in. I then had to sand the edges of the neck to shape so that they fit the neck pocket.A bit of work but it fits fine now.

sjyoung
October 22nd, 2009, 12:01 PM
That sounds doable. Going to see what others have to say.

How did you saw it? Hand, circular, miter, etc.