PDA

View Full Version : Congrats, Phils! (and PBP, too!)

duhvoodooman
October 22nd, 2009, 08:34 AM
They made it look easy over the Dodgers in 5. The bats were thundering last night.

Hoping my Yanks can close the deal against the Angels, in which case we'll have an I-95 series, eh? If so, I suspect the Phillies will find the Bronx Bombers to be a bit more of a challenge than the Dodgers were....

Tig
October 22nd, 2009, 08:54 AM
There was some serious hitting going on last night. I'm not a Yankees fan, but have been watching and rooting for them against the Angels. Phillies vs Yank's would be a great series, no doubt.
My wife is from South Jersey, so the Phillies and Eagles are the default teams in the house (even though I'm a Steelers fan from way back :dude ).

piebaldpython
October 22nd, 2009, 12:27 PM
Well Vood...I hope your Yanks don't choke and don't lose to the Angels. An I-95 series would be great...for the fans.....and TV. Nothing but doubles and homers. Knocking the fences down all nite long. It'll be like 2 heavyweight boxers who are just throwing haymakers at each other.

Our stomachs/hearts get to rest for a week at least. Vood, your's gets to churn for at least another nite.

Eric
October 22nd, 2009, 01:17 PM
Our stomachs/hearts get to rest for a week at least. Vood, your's gets to churn for at least another nite.

Seriously. As inescapable as the Phils are around here right now, I can't bear to watch -- I just get too stressed out.

piebaldpython
October 22nd, 2009, 01:48 PM
Seriously. As inescapable as the Phils are around here right now, I can't bear to watch -- I just get too stressed out.

EXACTLY!! :thwap They had a big lead last nite....then they let the Dodgers load the bases with no outs....UGH!!.......luckily, my wife and I were coming home from the theatre when that happended.....we got home and our daughter looked DRAINED.....I said to her, "what's the matter, we're up 8-3?"......then she told me what I missed....:thwap .....I swear the Phils are in cahoots with the cardio/gastro docs...and the pharaceutical companies too.

Tone2TheBone
October 22nd, 2009, 02:11 PM
How 'bout that Yankee Bawl Cluhb. :smile-us:

piebaldpython
October 22nd, 2009, 02:23 PM
How 'bout that Yankee Bawl Cluhb. :smile-us:

What "scares" me is the potential for egregious bad umpiring decisions....like what happened in the Yanks game when the dumb ump only called out ONE of the Yanks at third base. Both should have been out as neither was ON the bag.

Which is why they need "instant replay"......so they can take a look at a play and hopefully get it right.

Eric
October 22nd, 2009, 03:28 PM
What "scares" me is the potential for egregious bad umpiring decisions....like what happened in the Yanks game when the dumb ump only called out ONE of the Yanks at third base. Both should have been out as neither was ON the bag.

Which is why they need "instant replay"......so they can take a look at a play and hopefully get it right.

It seems like the Yankees calls have been almost intentional at this point, particularly some of the ones against the Twins. To be fair, the Phils have had their fair share of bad calls going their way too, but I still think instant reply is needed on some level.

Tig
October 22nd, 2009, 03:54 PM

'Zackly... Would like to see play review options for playoff and world series games, but not for the regular season.
I wonder what kind of penalty would work when the questioned call is correct (like the NFL using a team's timeout)?

piebaldpython
November 3rd, 2009, 07:40 AM
Well, we're still alive. Chase Utley may just be Mr. November. He cranked 2 more homers last nite. Sheesh!! :applause

Then, to top all of this off......we (Philly) got hit with a surprise transit strike (SEPTA) overnite which has paralyzed the city. Unreal!! :what

I got a call at 5AM from a co-worker telling me about the strike.....nice guy that he is, he gave me a lift in as I would have been SOL without the ride.

Just another crazy, wacky day in Philly town. The World Series still continues and we get the Cowboys on Sunday nite. Needless to say, we're frothing at the mouth like the mad dogs that we are. :french

duhvoodooman
November 3rd, 2009, 09:06 AM
Personally, I think that Girardi made a mistake in pitching Burnett last night against Cliff Lee. You had to figure that Philly would be super-tough with their backs against the wall and their ace going. My wife (who is also a huge life-long Yankees fan and former sports writer for a local paper) and I both agreed after the game 4 win that Girardi should start Chad Gaudin and take whatever he could give them. Instead, he burns his 2nd starter in a futile effort and commits all of his starters to pitching on short rest for the remainder of the series. Not a smart managerial move, IMO. While I still like our chances at home with Pettitte and Sabathia against Pedro and Hamels, this was not the best pitching strategy. And if it blows up in his face, Girardi is going to be in a world of hurt. Of course, it would help a bunch if Teixeira and Cano would start to hit....

Man, that Utley has been a monster! I can't understand how they'd let a fastball get within 4 feet of him, the way he's killing them. Just pitch around him for the rest of the series. Never thought I'd consider walking somebody to get to Ryan Howard, but that's looking like a good strategy about now! :what

piebaldpython
November 3rd, 2009, 09:22 AM
Bad pitching decision to be sure by Girardi. As to Howard......he hasn't done squat this series. Of course, it'd be nice if he got untracked for Game 7. lol

Hamels is not written in stone for Game 7 as a starter. I'd bet that Cliff Lee shows up for a good 4 innings somewhere during that game. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy.

Toilet flushing is at any all time high...our innards are shot....and well, you know.....nature happens. lol

duhvoodooman
November 3rd, 2009, 10:11 AM
Hamels is not written in stone for Game 7 as a starter. I'd bet that Cliff Lee shows up for a good 4 innings somewhere during that game. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy.
Better worry about Game 6 first! :poke ;)

piebaldpython
November 3rd, 2009, 11:02 AM
Oh yeah, no doubt about it. aha Pettite to me is scarier than CC as he got all of our lefties out. And playing in NYC is no picnic either. Mucho prayers to St. Anthony (patron saint of hopeless causes) for the Phils in NYC.

duhvoodooman
November 5th, 2009, 06:32 AM
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/744af2c65a9a44f.gif

Congrats to my NY Yankees, world champs again for the 27th time! :dude :happy :applause Congratulations also to the Phillies on a great season and proving a very worthy opponent. This is the first WS that's gone to 6 games since 2003. And if the award didn't traditionally go to a player on the winning team, Chase Utley would be the Series MVP! :applause

piebaldpython
November 5th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Congrats to the Yankees!! :applause Well deserved and well played.

The old axiom "walks will eventually kill you" certainly held true in this series.

duhvoodooman
November 5th, 2009, 08:37 AM
The old axiom "walks will eventually kill you" certainly held true in this series.
As Frankie Frisch used to say, "Oh, those bases on balls!"

At least Ryan Howard finally got hold of one, which I was actually happy to see, 'cuz he's a good kid.

And how 'bout that Matsui?!?!

http://frtim.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/godzilla.jpg

piebaldpython
November 5th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Yeah, lil Godzilla did pretty good in all the playoffs. :applause

R_of_G
November 5th, 2009, 01:52 PM
now let's hope the yankees are smart enough to bring matsui back. for a DH to win the mvp is very very telling of just how important matsui is to that team.

and let me add my congratulations to the phillies. if ever there was a team capable of fighting it out with the yankees to the end, that was it right there.

had utley done anything last night, i think he'd have been the mvp even with matsui's night. quite frankly, chase utley put on one of the best world series performances i have ever seen.

with another starting pitcher, i'd not be surprised to see the phillies right back in the world series next year. it's sad to see that pedro is too old, but pedro is too old.

i am just personally happy to have seen the yankees win this one while mr. steinbrenner is still around to enjoy it. several years ago i worked for the man and got the chance to get to know him a little bit. his reputation could not be more inaccurate. a kinder and more generous man you could not hope to find. congratulations to him and to the team. this was a great season for the new york yankees.

birv2
November 5th, 2009, 06:35 PM
As a Phils fan, I'm disappointed. Rhino had an abysmal series, and that didn't help. Utley was unbelievable, though.

I'm thinking we need a new starter (or two), and a major revamp of the bullpen. However, the position players all look pretty good to me. Werth really broke out, Feliz and Ruiz were solid, and the rest of the cast was very good. And I really liked their personality as a team, which reflected Uncle Chollie's approach -- never too high, too low, always fighting till the last out. A great year, even if it's not the result we wanted. The Yankees were just better this year.

How many months till spring training?

Algonquin
November 5th, 2009, 06:38 PM
How many months till spring training?
Hard to believe it will all start back up again in 4 short months :thwap
I didn't catch any games this summer, so I'll have to make more of an effort next year to see a few.